u.s. politics: sundowning on the american empire

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Love??? That two timer wouldn’t even make space for Jack to get out of the water.

That's because a woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets - an ocean that appropriately freezes their lover to death.  It's like you didn't pay attention at all.

It’s just awesome to watch Republicans on CNN already saying background checks wouldn’t have caught these shooters, and background checks won’t stop killings.

Glad to see them getting the answer back that laws against robbery don’t stop all break-ins and laws against insider trading doesn’t stop all insider trading.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's because a woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets - an ocean that appropriately freezes their lover to death.  It's like you didn't pay attention at all.

Oh stop. She was probably just made at him for giving her an STD he got from one of those French prostitutes he drew.

And how dare you say I didn’t pay attention!?!?! I’m one of the few people that realized that Billy Zane is the hero of the film.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It’s just awesome to watch Republicans on CNN already saying background checks wouldn’t have caught these shooters, and background checks won’t stop killings.

Glad to see them getting the answer back that laws against robbery don’t stop all break-ins and laws against insider trading doesn’t stop all insider trading.

There’s already a law against murder.

African American commentator, Eddie Gloud, on MSNBC:  Finally, somebody in the media speaks about this white supremacy and its political, economic and social history in the USA that carries actual content -- none of the bs of bafflement of how our country got to the place of El Paso.  This country is always going there, and always has.  This segment is worth watching (of course the only reason I saw it is because AOC tweeted it).

https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/watch/blaming-trump-is-too-easy-this-is-us-65354309615

In the meantime, Team moscow mitch gleefully sends out photo of them choking AOC in effigy.  So much for oval office squatter's teleprompter urging the end of white hate.  It's still OK to hate women, right-O!

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

She was probably just made at him for giving her an STD he got from one of those French prostitutes he drew.

Pretty sure STDs were a status symbol back then.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m one of the few people that realized that Billy Zane is the hero of the film.

Why?  Cuz he had a funny cameo in one of the few movies that didn't suck from that mutant offspring of comedy people?

5 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

There’s already a law against murder.

So there must be no more!  Logic!

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Why?  Cuz he had a funny cameo in one of the few movies that didn't suck from that mutant offspring of comedy people?

Billy Zane’s character, Caledon Hockley, was a titan of industry, who created JOBS!, JOBS!, JOBS!, nobly sacrificed his dignity to save a child. Did those thieves Jack and Rose save a child? NOPE! Now, did he fly off the handle a bit by slapping Rose? Sure, but she was challenging his White Male Privilege, and you couldn’t do that a hundred years ago.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Billy Zane’s character, Caledon Hockley, was a titan of industry, who created JOBS!, JOBS!, JOBS!, nobly sacrificed his dignity to save a child. Did those thieves Jack and Rose save a child? NOPE! Now, did he fly off the handle a bit by slapping Rose? Sure, but she was challenging his White Male Privilege, and you couldn’t do that a hundred years ago.

He also offed himself on when the market crashed on Black Tuesday.  A true American doesn't abandon capitalism in its time of need.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

He also offed himself on when the market crashed on Black Tuesday.  A true American doesn't abandon capitalism in its time of need.

He did it for the purposes of tax avoidance, which is the most American thing one can do. And how dare you use an incident of gun violence to question one’s patriotism. Too soon!

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Caledon Hockley? I almost choked reading that name. Talk about a Canadian reference to a fellow director.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He did it for the purposes of tax avoidance, which is the most American thing one can do. And how dare you use an incident of gun violence to question one’s patriotism. Too soon!

The estate tax was passed in 1916, so no, dying of any kind could have only compounded his tax liability - a true act of treason to his country and family.  As for using gun violence to question one's patriotism, the Dickensian response would be he merely added to the surplus population of gun deaths, fortifying their pinko argument.

40 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My God, you are so tone deaf it’s almost spectacular.

Free dumb isn’t free.

11 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Caledon Hockley? I almost choked reading that name. Talk about a Canadian reference to a fellow director.

Who now?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Free dumb isn’t free.

Who now?

Caledon and Hockley Valley are both part of the Niagara Escarpment up here in Ontario. Norman Jewison has been a resident there for many years. 

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

The estate tax was passed in 1916, so no, dying of any kind could have only compounded his tax liability - a true act of treason to his country and family.  As for using gun violence to question one's patriotism, the Dickensian response would be he merely added to the surplus population of gun deaths, fortifying their pinko argument.

Not if he secretly withdrew his assets and clandestinely gave them to his heir while simultaneously absorbing all the losses. Hell, he might of even faked his death, How would Rose know? James Woods’ character from Once Upton A Time In America pulled off the same feat during the same time period, and he went on to become the Secretary of the Treasury. How ‘bout that!

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not if he secretly withdrew his assets and clandestinely gave them to his heir while simultaneously absorbing all the losses. Hell, he might of even faked his death, How would Rose know? James Woods’ character from Once Upton A Time In America pulled off the same feat during the same time period, and he went on to become the Secretary of the Treasury. How ‘bout that!

Alright I think we've reached the point of Too Far now.  Although Zane's career the past twenty years suggests he did indeed fake his death (albeit glancing at his IMDB page does show he's been surprisingly prolific..in a bunch of crap I've never seen).

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Alright I think we've reached the point of Too Far now.  Although Zane's career the past twenty years suggests he did indeed fake his death (albeit glancing at his IMDB page does show he's been surprisingly prolific..in a bunch of crap I've never seen).

You're obviously forgetting his greatest work.  He'll forever be Lews Therin to me. 

Archived