u.s. politics: sundowning on the american empire

http://paydayreport.com/ice-raids-miss-plant-after-3-5-million-sexual-harassment-settlement/

so that ice raid in mississippi? turns out those detained worked at koch foods plants (no relation to those koch’s) that just paid a $3.5 mil settlement for racial and sexual harassment of latinx workers

Way I see it, if anyone ever again mentions how the need their guns and the second amendment to protect from government tyranny, the only reasonable response to that is now to punch them in the face. We've got a prime example of actual government tyranny and the kind of people who used to spout off about fighting government tyranny aren't just not doing anything, they're actively supporting it.

On another note, I've gotten a pay raise recently and so wanted to donate to an organization that works on these issues. The ACLU seems the obvious choice but I wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions?

14 hours ago, Mudguard said:

This is racist and offensive.  It also has nothing to do with your argument that universities are not a hot bed of radical left indoctrination.  Why even include this statement?  What do you have against Asians?

Hah, looks like someone fell off peak woke.

8 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

Another Trump supporting far right terrorist.

Holy fuck look at that ridiculous Trump-Rambo decal on his tailgate. It's even worse than that GWB-as-muscular-Uncle-Sam that was popular with right wing man-boys fifteen years ago. These people are still at a mental age of 12.

Trump’s White Identity Politics Appeals to Two Different Groups
The president’s overt racism now risks fragmenting his coalition.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/who-does-trumps-white-identity-politics-reach/595189/

But Jardina finds some surprising things about white identity politics. For one thing, there seems to be a real psychological divide between whites who hold animus to other racial groups and those who show little sign of typical racial prejudice but are concerned about protecting their own group—though in practice, they often end up supporting politicians and policies that do hurt minority groups, as with Trump. Meanwhile, despite common oversimplifications about who these voters are, Jardina finds little evidence to suggest they are largely members of an economically fragile working class.

Trump’s political success has been built in part on his ability to appeal to both whites who are prejudiced and those who are not, using the same policy ideas. But moves like his attacks on the “squad” or Cummings test the outer limits of this two-pronged strategy, threatening to turn off whites who don’t think of themselves as prejudiced. There’s been a 10-percentage-point drop in white identifiers—whites who indicated their racial identity is really important to them—since the 2016 election. Trump’s recent moves toward cutting budgets for entitlement programs popular among white identifiers also risk alienating the voters who helped put him in office. Jardina walked me through her research, and discussed how her findings might apply to the president’s recent racist outbursts. This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity and concision.

14 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

That stuff I knew. Old news. I expected recent news.

eta: what I mean is that I think in the last decade the numbers have been steady.

Not really. Everything I’ve seen suggests that all the reports of increased gun sales are from gun owners buying more guns before the feared crackdown takes place. I don’t recall seeing anything that indicates that non-gun owners are suddenly going out and buying guns en masse.

Also, finance BIRD!, the hell is going on with the stock market?

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, finance BIRD!, the hell is going on with the stock market?

Not the Bird, but it looks as though the stock market is holding its fire until it can glut and gorge on the carcasses of the UK crash out of BREXIT.  (October deadline comin' right on up!)

17 hours ago, Kalbear said:

If I were running it, I'd put a lot of negative ads out that basically say 'how are you going to explain your vote for Trump to your children'? How are you going to explain voting for someone who encouraged white supremacists, who encouraged racism, who kept kids in cages and let them die? In 20 years, are you going to be able to say that you voted for Trump to your friends? 

You mean basically just do what Clinton did? She aired a ton of negative ads talking about  Trump’s racism on the campaign trail, and scandals. 

Wasn’t particularly effective in chipping away at his support. 

The effectiveness of negative ads in general is debatable in general, but if so Trump’s racism doesn’t seem an area that would depress much conservative-moderate support for him. 

Hell, his approval went up after he literally claimed three non-white Congresswoman weren’t from America. 

Racism probably isn't going to be perceived by many of the voters you hope to shame as that big a deal. After all, would it affect them? 

And, no one really has to know you voted for Trump. In the voting booth there are no cameras, it’d be easy to vote Trump.

Explaining why Trump is bad is fine but it’s far more imperative to drill into people your preferred candidate is good for them. Key word them.

16 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

Stewart fucked up when he went on crossfire and only debated and scolded this cockhead instead of choking him with his bow tie.

And yet some “Liberals” still Carson as awesome and reasonable because  he gives some vaguely populist economic rhetoric, and occasionally says American imperialism is bad. 

16 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

You mean basically just do what Clinton did? She aired a ton of negative ads talking about  Trump’s racism on the campaign trail, and scandals. 

The effectiveness of negative ads in general is debatable in general, but if so Trump’s racism doesn’t seem an area that would depress much conservative-moderate support for him. 

Hell, his approval went up after he literally claimed three non-white Congresswoman weren’t from America. 

Racism probably isn't going to be perceived by many of the voters you hope to shame as that big a deal. After all, would it affect them? 

And, no one really has to know you voted for Trump. In the voting booth there are no cameras, it’d be easy to vote Trump.

Explaining why Trump is bad is fine but it’s far more imperative to drill into people your preferred candidate is good for them. Key word them.

And yet some “Liberals” still Carson as awesome and reasonable because  he gives some vaguely populist economic rhetoric, and occasionally says American imperialism is bad. 

Wut?

15 minutes ago, a good and nice guy said:

i assume they are talking of greenwald going to carlson’s show?

Ugh, I looked up Greenwald and Carlson. What the hell happened to Greenwald? I still occasionally bring up his column on right wing contrived masculinity from 15 years ago, but these days he's indistinguishable from a Russian asset.

38 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It was, actually. Trump didn't get more support than Romney or McCain did. The problem was that the negative ads towards Clinton were even more effective.

And I posit that with 4 years of actual data on his governing instead of a 'well, he won't be THAT bad' counterpoints, it'll hit harder. 

10,000 votes. It doesn't need to be much. 

It went back down again. 

Obviously. At the same time some of these people in theory have actual souls. 

Different targets. Of course you also put out ads showing how great your candidate is and you get turnout as much as you can. 

the only reasonable response to that is now to punch them in the face

totally not.  the more reasonable response is, as you said:

We've got a prime example of actual government tyranny and the kind of people who used to spout off about fighting government tyranny aren't just not doing anything, they're actively supporting it.

of course, this is itself something of a red herring, as the two positions are not logically related--though there is a criticism of the respective ethos of the NRA sycophant and the xenophobic deporter sets in there.  i.e., i don't think unrestricted gun possession would be warranted if people being removed were to use firearms in lethal self-defense against the state.  and i don't think that the removal of these persons becomes alright if those hoodwinked by the firearms industry were somehow in agreement with a cosmopolitan open border.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA -- As the Democratic Party debates what to prioritize should it take power following the 2020 elections, former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) offered his fellow members a stern directive and an ambitious proposal.

Tackle climate change legislation first, Reid said. And if it requires eliminating the filibuster to do it... well, so be it. 

“The answer is yes,” Reid said, when asked if he would scrap the Senate rule requiring 60 votes for legislation if it allowed the party to pass a bill addressing the climate crisis. “[T]he No. 1 priority is climate change. There’s nothing that affects my children, grandchildren, and their children, right now, more than climate.”

Harry Reid to Dems: Kill the Filibuster to Tackle the Climate Crisis
The former majority leader has some thoughts about what his party should do should it return to power.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/harry-reid-to-dems-kill-the-filibuster-to-tackle-the-climate-crisis?ref=home

55 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Seconded. What fucking liberals like Tucker Carlson?

53 minutes ago, a good and nice guy said:

i assume they are talking of greenwald going to carlson’s show?

Oh, didn't realize that.

Yeah Greenwald is absolutely nuts on the Russia shit.  Heard him Chapo recently and talking about Mueller's testimony and it was mind-blowing how he refused to even consider anything other than a witch hunt.  

He was basically calling Mueller senile and implying that he didn't know what was going on as opposed to carefully avoiding creating sound bites.  And compared him to Sergio Moro which is absolutely ridiculous.  Something about how Moro is a "Mueller - like figure".  

Disgusting, feckless, spineless NPR.

https://www.cjr.org/special_report/npr-kim-kelly.php

It fired a music commentator for a twit on her personal feed, as being 'inappropritate' because TUCKER FUCKIN' CARLSON ranted about her.

So imagine my surprise when, on July 31, I was informed that my “activist stance”—as it was described to me over the phone by an NPR senior director—had become a problem, and that it conflicted with NPR’s stated journalistic ethics. The pushback came as a particular shock because I was at work on my first NPR assignment since 2017—so it wasn’t a response to anything I’d filed. But then I realized what the catalyst had been, and the director confirmed it: Tucker Carlson had aired a segment about me—me?!—on his Fox News show. Now NPR was cutting me loose.

Days earlier, I’d posted a tweet about a 68-year-old anarchist named Willem von Spronsen, who had been killed by police after he’d attempted to damage vehicles in a parking lot belonging to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. I’d characterized the action as righteous sabotage and noted that the same tactic had been used against Nazis by Jewish and Italian partisans during World War II. Given the dire situation the United States is in, I suggested, it’s worth thinking about ways to fight back against Donald Trump’s cruel regime. Van Spronsen injured no one and sought to injure no one; he took aim at property, not people. My tweets caught the attention of a few biggish conservative accounts and finally made their way to Carlson.

According to NPR, I should have tried harder to keep my activism under wraps—or at least done more to avoid being targeted by Fox’s preeminent propagandist. Trust me when I say that I was not exactly thrilled when a friend sent me a video link to Carlson’s minute-and-a-half-long tirade, during which he denigrated my work, implied that I was inciting terrorism, and took a brief moment to mention that I contributed to NPR. On the phone with the senior director, I was told that my “obvious” status as an activist violated their rules. I ended the conversation with the observation that, in 2019, they’re going to have an awfully hard time finding writers who don’t have a political opinion. 

email

Archived