u.s. politics: sundowning on the american empire

Bloody hell, just looked up Dayton. 9 dead, 26 injured. Wtf?

eta: Police patrol the district. They shot and killed the guy in about one minute after getting the reports of a shooting. This bastard killed 9 people and shot 20+ in a few minutes. (Some of the injured had cuts from flying glass or from falling)

Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick MuIvaney defended President Donald Trump on Sunday, saying mass shootings have been an issue for decades and he doesn’t “think it's fair to try and lay this at the feet of the president.”

After ABC’s Chief White House correspondent Jonathan Karl listed off the latest string of shootings since Trump’s inauguration, Mulvaney responded on “This Week” by saying it is a problem that has “happened for many decades.”

“You make an excellent point there which is this cancer, this difficulty that we face as a nation, predates this administration by many, many years,” Mulvaney said. “What can you do? You have to try and fix the society, right? You have to figure out why people now take it upon themselves to take guns into large groups of people.”

Mulvaney defends Trump on mass shootings

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/04/mick-mulvaney-donald-trump-el-paso-shootings-1445705

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

These guys were radicalized on the internet. A lot of people sneered at the thought young Muslims could be radicalized by the internet when that idea first came out. Maybe more people will take it seriously now.

No, they're just going to scapegoat the mentally ill. Even though there's absolutely no evidence any of these people were.

What a friend wrote last night:

i write these things and never send them.  what do you think?

T***p did this. 

I was born in Texas, and I lived in El Paso for a year when I was nine, 1960-61, before we moved on to New Mexico. It was absolutely transformational on my way of thinking about language, culture, food, music, geography, movies, lizards, and pretty much everything else. My shorthand way of saying it is, that's where I got my bilingual on. A few years ago I had the very moving, once-in-a-lifetime experience of going back to sing in one of the glorious old deco theaters.

Later we'll talk about El Paso and Juárez being one big town and what that entails. I've never gotten to the bottom of it. 

All of which is to say, it's a very real place to me, and in its own way it's one of America's jewels.  Maybe that's why T***pists hate it.  That's where they opened their concentration camps. Or, as theTimes put it today:

>For months, El Paso has been in the national spotlight, as thousands of Central American families have flooded the city and surrounding areas.

Today in El Paso, an atrocity exploded that can only be called Trumpist terrorism. 

This was not an issue of mental illness. This was the inevitable outcome of the poisoning of the public discourse that's been going on as far back as you care to trace, but has been heating up decade by decade, fed by Rupert Murdoch, Roger Ailes, Rush Limbaugh, and a thousand theocratic media preachers. 

Right-wing terrorism -- along with the incessant propaganda that feeds it -- has been going on for years in the United States, but this is the clearest statement of it yet. This was a straight-up partisan massacre, following the principles of stochastic terrorism: "the public demonization of a person orgroup resulting in the incitement of a violent act,which is statistically probable but whose specificscannot be predicted." The New York Times is now quoting the shooter's internet statement:

“Hispanics will take control of the local and state government of my beloved Texas, changing policy to better suit their needs,” the manifesto said. It added that politicians of both parties are to blame for the United States “rotting from the inside out,” but that “the heavy Hispanic population in Texas will make us a Democrat stronghold.”

A Texan can decode this easily: the barely 21-year-old, declared-T***pist shooter -- a loser with so little going on that he was ready to end his life in the most vicious way possible -- drove 10 hours from Dallas to open fire on a Wal-Mart full of Mexicans on a Saturday morning in the town synonmous with the demonized border.  I mean, a representative of white cracker Texas trying to declare war on brown border Texas. That's our homegrown Texas nightmare. 

Texas has by now a brilliant tradition of the most horrible governors ever. The previous two were Rick Perry and George W. Bush.  And now, the unspeakable NRA stooge Greg Abbott, who has a lot to answer for. You may have seen this gem:

See also El Paso native Amanda Marcotte's Tweet thread:

https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte

I've been frozen since I heard this news.  I was appalled at the less lethal Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting earlier this week but I kept going. Today I couldn't. Beyond the loss of life, what this means in terms of the falling apart of our country, region by region, town by town.

In February 2017 -- the second month of the T***p occupancy -- one of the first things T***p signed, quietly:

>President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

>The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Why did T***pists want mentally ill people to be able to purchase guns? Because that's the heart of their base. That's who their cadres are. Given the wholesale sledgehammering of US government and society they were putting into motion, they knew they would need them. 

The term for this phase of it is "softening up." We are being softened up by a chain of stochastically probably mass shootings. Why are T***p's tweets so over the top? To keep the base at rage level. 

As election madness heats up we're going to see more of this. Wear your Kevlar in 2020. Too many elements want catharsis for it not to happen. 

They're not giving up power voluntarily. As we go on having quiz shows ("debates") of Democratic candidates, I hope someone asks them: what will you do to put down an armed rebellion from elements of T***pist America when you win?  Elizabeth Warren has a plan for everything; does she have a plan for this? 

Watching Puerto Rico rise up in revolt this month, I kept asking the same question I've been asking whenever I get a microphone:

Why aren't 20 million people in the street every day demanding this shit stop right now? 

Election or no election, T***p isn't leaving until the people rise up and drive him out. He's not going to be voted out, impeached out, or convicted out. He's leaving in handcuffs, or in a box, or with 20 million people chasing him down the street.

That's why they've been so careful all along to have their well-armed crazy-ass racist cadres ready to go. 

We've got to deal with this. Watching TV and voting isn't enough. 

I was watching State of the Union earlier this morning and NRA bootlicker Rick Santorum was ignorant enough to suggest that unarmed shoppers were at fault in the shooting (despite the fact that there were people with concealed guns but didn't use them because had they done so, it would've confused the cops thinking that they were the shooter).

Harris: cop

Is this the hurdle that trips Kamala up and keeps her from getting full enthusiastic support?   The whole prosecuting trump thing sounded like such a good fit, even though everyone else is already doing it so it's not so special, but it never occurred to me that police are unpopular among the base.   Everyone says booting trump is priority #1, but if we're being real democrats' top concern is not being prosecuted for the ganga.  And she did that!   

On 8/2/2019 at 3:19 PM, TrueMetis said:

Are you really this stupid?

Yes.   Did you not see the part about Jims and Jimming?   And it sounded like you were warning about something new and different, beyond the scope of ICE and things.   So that was a wasted tangent.   I don't know all the slogans and what they refer to by heart yet, there's so many.  

Watch Protesters Interrupt McConnell With “Moscow Mitch” Chants at Kentucky Event

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/08/moscow-mitch-protesters-taunt-mitch-mcconnell-nickname.html

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell went home to Kentucky but he couldn’t escape the “Moscow Mitch” taunts. McConnell isn’t usually bothered by criticism, but the nickname “Moscow Mitch,” which stems from his refusal to take on legislation to protect the nation’s electoral system from foreign attacks, has really gotten to him, and his opponents are trying to make sure it follows him everywhere. During his speech at an annual gathering known as “Fancy Farm” and described as Kentucky’s premier political event, protesters frequently broke out into chants of “Moscow Mitch.”

Moscow Mitch tripped on his patio and fractured his shoulder, so he's gonna do his work from home now.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2019/08/04/mitch-mcconnell-fractures-his-shoulder-after-slipping-falling-patio/1916928001/

Drunk, ya think after a terrible day of being called out for his treason in favor of Russia?

Archived