Streaming Services (business / market / service, not content-focused)

SpaceChampion

On 8/17/2019 at 6:03 AM, red snow said:

I usually google "film/tv show streaming UK" and there's usually a top hit saying if and where it is available.

Yeah, but having everything in one app with one "continue watching" page and all that would be much cleaner.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, but having everything in one app with one "continue watching" page and all that would be much cleaner.

It would definitely save time. Like you said it would be interesting to see if they'd work together to that extent. I guess sky in uk has embraced Netflix, iPlayer etc but they still shun Amazon prime

I'm definitely cancelling my Amazon Prime until WoT comes out. There are a bunch of Amazon Prime originals I want to watch but are unavailable in NZ. So until Amazon sorts that I'll only be signing on for a month at a time when there's seasons of at least 3 shows I want to watch available. Jeff Bezos doesn't need any of my money when I'm not getting any value back.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well the price of my Netflix account went up today. I'm going to assume this will simply keep happening as they realise how hard it is to profit whilst throwing money at so many new tv shows and movies. I'm probably going to downgrade my package anyway.

It will be interesting to see whether the prices stay high when Disney launches at a more competitive rate. I could see Netflix trying annual discounted membership if they find people are dipping in and out according to releases.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm definitely cancelling my Amazon Prime until WoT comes out. There are a bunch of Amazon Prime originals I want to watch but are unavailable in NZ. So until Amazon sorts that I'll only be signing on for a month at a time when there's seasons of at least 3 shows I want to watch available. Jeff Bezos doesn't need any of my money when I'm not getting any value back.

Seems crazy you can't get prime originals on prime! 

I'm hoping WOT, expanse and LOTR don't wind up on some sly SFF prime channel we have to separately pay for.

I noticed my Roku has some free channels available that I'vd added.  "Tubi" has lots of good movies but I've seen most of them that I'd want to see.  Great for rewatching favorites I guess.  If I can get my dad to stop watching terrible B-movies on the "FAwesome" channel that is a plus.

Added the NASA channel for launches and press conferences.  And there is one for TED talks.  Anybody found some good free channels on Roku or other similar devices?

Edited by SpaceChampion

WTF Netflix with all these cancellations of shows I really like? If I wasn't piggybacking off a family member's subscription I'd think of cancelling Netflix for a while too.

I can't believe the OA has been cancelled.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

WTF Netflix with all these cancellations of shows I really like? If I wasn't piggybacking off a family member's subscription I'd think of cancelling Netflix for a while too.

I can't believe the OA has been cancelled.

There seems to have been less outrage online than sense8 but might still be worth requesting season 3 in the suggestions section (if they still have that).

What bugs me most about the cancellations is that we don't really know why they are cancelled. Obviously it's "not enough people watch" but i think they also factor "when a show is watched", "how long do people take to watch", "is there an uptick in subscriptions when launched" etc. And without knowing the rules and their respective weighting it makes it really hard to play an active role in supporting shows. I'm not going to binge watch everything that is released because it's impossible but I'd maybe make the effort for a second season of a niche show i enjoy.

Obviously it's not just ratings but contractual shit too as i doubt daredevil was low ratings.

I think I posted something like this the first time, about two years ago, in the ongoing Watch, Watched, Watching threads, and more recently since:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/opinion/netflix-hulu-cable.html?

Streaming Video Will Soon Look Like the Bad Old Days of TV
As media monoliths bundle their offerings, consumers will once again have to pay for a bunch of shows they don’t want.

By Matthew Ball
Mr. Ball is a former head of strategic planning for Amazon Studios.

....Yet in this new multiplatform world, viewers will find they have to pay for a fistful of streaming subscriptions to watch all of their favorite programs — and in the process, they’ll again end up paying for lots of shows and movies they’ll never care to watch.

AT&T’s WarnerMedia, for example, is bundling its TV channels, like TBS, HBO and TruTV, and film studios, including Warner Bros., DC Films and New Line, into its HBO Max service. Disney+ will have Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm, but also National Geographic, “The Simpsons” and Disney’s offerings for children.

And to navigate these many subscriptions, most households will want companies like Amazon or Apple to further bundle these services together into a single app — just as they do with Dish or Xfinity. All of this bundling will eventually mean the return of a high monthly bill.

Behind this bill is the cost of making high-quality programming. Although much has been said about how Netflix and Amazon have disrupted the video business, no media company has figured out how to make premium movies or TV shows significantly more cheaply. In fact, competition has driven production budgets even higher. Ultimately, these costs are paid by viewers (especially if they choose to watch without ads).

But the rise of digital video is bringing back more than just bloated bundles and bills. Many companies are returning to TV’s original business model: selling you anything and everything but the television show in front of you....

The digital news sites are like this too, even with one's subscription to them, one has to close endless boxes of notifications, ads, etc. before being able to read the article, which reading is constantly interrupted by yet another advertisement and notification.

Edited by Zorral

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, RumHam said:

This is not the software you are looking for, but its close;

https://bgr.com/2019/09/05/what-to-watch-google-search-tv-and-movie-recommendations/

On 8/19/2019 at 10:38 AM, SpaceChampion said:

I noticed my Roku has some free channels available that I'vd added.  "Tubi" has lots of good movies but I've seen most of them that I'd want to see.  Great for rewatching favorites I guess.  If I can get my dad to stop watching terrible B-movies on the "FAwesome" channel that is a plus.

Added the NASA channel for launches and press conferences.  And there is one for TED talks.  Anybody found some good free channels on Roku or other similar devices?

The Pluto TV app has quite a lot for free. It's movies and TV.

• 2 weeks later...

"As The BBC Doubles Down On BritBox, Boss Tony Hall Says Viewers “May Not Want” More Streamers"

https://deadline.com/2019/09/bbc-tony-hall-viewers-may-not-want-more-streamers-1202738770/

“The competition will be fierce. The libraries of current players may shrink, as other players pull their content to place them on their own services. The established streamers may need to fight harder to offer the value they currently give today. The public will be asked to subscribe to an array of streaming services. And they may not want them all.”

His comments appear to raise questions about future demand for the BBC’s own new streamer, BritBox, which it operates as a joint venture with rival British broadcaster ITV. They are preparing to launch BritBox in the UK this year for £5.99 ($7.50)  a month, and will supercharge its library of British shows with original content.

BritBox was given the greenlight by UK media regulator Ofcom on Thursday, despite lobbying from the likes of Comcast’s Sky and indie trade union PACT. BritBox is already live in the U.S. and Canada where it is priced at for $6.99 a month.

Britbox pisses me off as i foresee BBC taking content off iplayer in order to up subscription. Well, they can f**k right off if they think I'm paying a tv license and then paying again to watch content I've already paid for.

The only good thing that can come of britbox (in the UK) is the tv licence becoming optional as I can't see how the bbc can get away with it otherwise.

Well ,,, as the point of the piece says, this is already going on, or will go on across board, for every television and cable network and all the johnnie come lately streaming services.  You gotta pay for CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. streaming, as well as probably if you do cable, the bundle of the network television bundled into your annual fee.

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well ,,, as the point of the piece says, this is already going on, or will go on across board, for every television and cable network and all the johnnie come lately streaming services.  You gotta pay for CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. streaming, as well as probably if you do cable, the bundle of the network television bundled into your annual fee.

In the UK the BBC is a slightly different case though as you have to pay for a TV license. There's no "well i don't watch BBC" out - you have to say you don't watch live TV ever. I don't know how American networks operate but the BBC/Britbox situation would be akin to everyone in the USA having to pay for HBO and then being told they need to pay extra on top of that in order to see all the new HBO shows. Britbox makes more sense as an international entity but in the UK it seems incredibly unfair as people can't protest with their wallet beyond not buying britbox but still having to pay the TV license.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HBO is apparently putting some stuff up to stream on HBOGo and HBONow without the need for a subscription. So if you haven't seen The Wire or The Sopranos yet now you have no excuse!

Ballers (5 Seasons)

Barry (2 Seasons)

Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)

Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)

The Sopranos (7 Seasons)

Succession (2 Seasons)

True Blood (7 Seasons

Veep (7 Seasons)

The Wire (5 Seasons)

10 Docuseries and Documentaries

The Apollo

The Case Against Adnan Syed

Elvis Presley: The Searcher

I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

Jane Fonda in Five Acts

McMillion$

True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality

United Skates

We Are the Dream: The Kids of the MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest

20 Warner Bros. Theatricals

Arthur

Arthur 2: On the Rocks

Blinded By the Light

The Bridges of Madison County

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Empire of the Sun

Forget Paris

Happy Feet Two

Isn’t It Romantic?

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

Midnight Special

My Dog Skip

Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase

Pan

Pokémon Detective Pikachu

Red Riding Hood

Smallfoot

Storks

Sucker Punch

Unknown

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

HBO is apparently putting some stuff up to stream on HBOGo and HBONow without the need for a subscription. So if you haven't seen The Wire or The Sopranos yet now you have no excuse!

Reveal hidden contents

Ballers (5 Seasons)

Barry (2 Seasons)

Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)

Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)

The Sopranos (7 Seasons)

Succession (2 Seasons)

True Blood (7 Seasons

Veep (7 Seasons)

The Wire (5 Seasons)

10 Docuseries and Documentaries

The Apollo

The Case Against Adnan Syed

Elvis Presley: The Searcher

I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

Jane Fonda in Five Acts

McMillion$

True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality

United Skates

We Are the Dream: The Kids of the MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest

20 Warner Bros. Theatricals

Arthur

Arthur 2: On the Rocks

Blinded By the Light

The Bridges of Madison County

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Empire of the Sun

Forget Paris

Happy Feet Two

Isn’t It Romantic?

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

Midnight Special

My Dog Skip

Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase

Pan

Pokémon Detective Pikachu

Red Riding Hood

Smallfoot

Storks

Sucker Punch

Unknown

I highly recommend Six Feet Under and Veep from that list as well. 

Well, after tomorrow I've got sixteen days to kill. I hope to read a book every few days, maybe one in an entire day here and there, as well as work out a lot, but I am happy that I recently got Disney+ and Hulu to pair with HBO and Netflix. Time to get caught up on years of missed pop culture.