Streaming Services (business / market / service, not content-focused)

SpaceChampion

Doesn't look like a great move to me. To replicate Disney+, Amazon need more than just a grab bag of content, however many gems it contains.

Amazon is also the most infuriating provider of content. It’s too concerned with upselling you paid content, even though you already paid a subscription. 

Im sure they will just hide this all behind a separate paywall and leave us plebs to trawl through their piles of garbage 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Doesn't look like a great move to me. To replicate Disney+, Amazon need more than just a grab bag of content, however many gems it contains.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Amazon is also the most infuriating provider of content. It’s too concerned with upselling you paid content, even though you already paid a subscription. 

Im sure they will just hide this all behind a separate paywall and leave us plebs to trawl through their piles of garbage 

I agree. The MGM back catalogue is nothing great, and has been widely available to stream somewhere for years already.  And few of their properties look worthy of expansive new franchises like Disney got with Marvel and Star Wars.

Amazon will keep experimenting with structures like pay-walls and ads to see what’s the best way to monetize (they are really good at running lots of experiments to probe consumers’ willingness to pay), but they don’t currently have a path to any significant stake in the content pie.

"Lessons From HBO Max’s First Year"

https://www.vulture.com/2021/05/hbo-max-first-year-analysis.html#_ga=2.208978715.848599166.1622216552-1353224025.1622216552

Almost all good news, so far as perceived by this booster.

....• Strong subscriber growth: The supersize version of HBO currently boasts 44.2 million U.S. subscribers, a huge 35 percent jump from the roughly 33 million Classic HBO had a year ago. Throw in international subscribers and the number rises to nearly 64 million. While that’s fewer than the roughly 87 million global subscribers Disney+ had by the end of its first year (or its current tally of 104 million), Max also costs nearly twice as much on average. Plus, after just one year, Max already has a bigger subscriber base than the far less expensive Hulu and has reached about two-thirds the North American subscriber base of Netflix (74 million.) Growth may slow a bit in the short term as global audiences get back out into a post-COVID-vaccine world, but the year-one trajectory for Max has been impressive.

➽ Sterling original content: While WarnerMedia has allowed HBO and HBO Max to maintain separate development teams, both are overseen by HBO vet Casey Bloys and, more importantly, audiences don’t care what label is attached to a program (see also: FX on Hulu). So when assessing the strength of HBO Max, it makes no sense to distinguish between the two brands. By that standard, HBO Max’s slate, while not as bountiful as Netflix’s, has more than made up for it in terms of quality, attracting strong buzz and frequent critical acclaim for a long line of programs launched over past year: The Flight Attendant, Lovecraft Country, Hacks, Mare of Easttown, It’s a Sin, I May Destroy You, Perry Mason, Tina, and, yes, The Undoing. Plus, as the post-pandemic production pipeline heats up, Max’s roster will grow stronger still, benefiting from the return of some HBO tentpoles such as Succession, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Barry, Insecure, Westworld, and Euphoria. And next year, Max gets what could be its biggest weapon yet in the fight for subscribers: the Game of Thrones spinoff series House of the Dragon.

➽ The strongest library: Max has assembled the best collection of quality retro content of any other major streamer — period. While you can make a case Hulu has a wider assortment of old-school network TV shows — as well as a few gems from FX — Max houses virtually the entire HBO series catalogue and a deep selection of classic movies from the Warner Bros. and pre-1980s MGM vaults, including ones filmed in honest-to-goodness black-and-white. (Netflix, by contrast, seems to consider anything made more than 15 years ago a “classic.” )

➽ A brilliant same-day movie-premiere strategy: Jason Kilar, WarnerMedia’s CEO (for now), got a ton of pushback from old Hollywood over his decision to have all Warner Bros. 2021 theatricals stream the same day they hit theaters. But the move instantly made Max competitive with Netflix in the big-budget feature-film space, while also giving the service a massive subscriber-acquisition tool. Perhaps just as importantly, because these new releases aren’t on the HBO cable service, the same-day premieres inspired a ton of linear HBO users to finally activate the Max subscriptions included with their pay TV package. That will prove to be beneficial long after the simultaneous premieres go away next year....

30 minutes ago, Zorral said:

➽ A brilliant same-day movie-premiere strategy: 

I dunno that I'd call that brilliant, it was practically forced on them by Covid. I think it was smarter than the alternative of delaying everything until people are willing to go back to theaters. But it's not like it was some brilliant original concept they came up with. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I dunno that I'd call that brilliant, it was practically forced on them by Covid. I think it was smarter than the alternative of delaying everything until people are willing to go back to theaters. But it's not like it was some brilliant original concept they came up with. 

:agree:  Ya, Netflix had been doing this prior to covid, for one example.

• 2 months later...

Went down a bit of a rabbit hole over on the sub-Reddit for streaming.  A guy in there mentioned that he had something called a Superbox.  He said he gets all kinds of streaming services free on that including Sunday Ticket and other major sports streaming services.  :stunned: 

He linked this page on ebay.

In that listing, there was a link to the homepage for the device Superbox USA

I'm honestly confused right now... I replied back to the guy and he said again that he has all those services for free.  The device itself looks like a generic Roku and the website is certainly not something that I would call "elaborate."  This thing can't be legit... can it?!!?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Went down a bit of a rabbit hole over on the sub-Reddit for streaming.  A guy in there mentioned that he had something called a Superbox.  He said he gets all kinds of streaming services free on that including Sunday Ticket and other major sports streaming services.  :stunned: 

He linked this page on ebay.

In that listing, there was a link to the homepage for the device Superbox USA

I'm honestly confused right now... I replied back to the guy and he said again that he has all those services for free.  The device itself looks like a generic Roku and the website is certainly not something that I would call "elaborate."  This thing can't be legit... can it?!!?  :unsure:

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Good review.  So how long before those illegal VPN apps get shut down, leaving the box useless?

Wondered the same.  Also curious about the guy with the Sunday Ticket.  Are they just channels in that app?

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

Wondered the same.  Also curious about the guy with the Sunday Ticket.  Are they just channels in that app?

From the review, it looks like a full slate of live TV channels is available in one app (the other app has a large slate of on-demand movies).  Basically they are paying for one expansive cable subscription and then pirating that to a potentially huge customer base.

It's basically an Android TV box.  You have root access so can load whatever app you want on it.  The illegal ones don't come pre-installed.  I think one of friends had one several years ago for the 6th season of GOT but wasn't technically inclined enough to get it to work.

• 1 month later...

Apparently its been around since 2018 but I had no idea there is a streaming site for CBC, called CBC Gem.

Here's Trickster - was renewed for season 2 but then cancelled after season one due to the showrunner not actually being indigenous or something, while the whole cast and crew were, but it's a great show, and cancellation was a damn shame.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/trickster/s01

Can non-Canadian  locations stream that?

Edited by SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Apparently its been around since 2018 but I had no idea there is a streaming site for CBC, called CBC Gem.

Here's Trickster - was renewed for season 2 but then cancelled after season one due to the showrunner not actually being indigenous or something, while the whole cast and crew were, but it's a great show, and cancellation was a damn shame.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/trickster/s01

Can non-Canadian  locations stream that?

The full Gem experience is not available outside of Canada.

But they'll let me watch something called The National. 

• 1 month later...