Streaming Services (business / market / service, not content-focused)

SpaceChampion

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I always said that I watched more TV when I had four channels than I do with essentially limitless content.  Would I have watched Night Court and Cheers at 10 years of age if I'd had all of today's options?  Reruns of Barney Miller at ten o'clock?  Heck no.

In contrast, now I will spend ten to fifteen minutes flipping through things before giving up and just sticking it on HGTV or a random basketball game.

That is very true. Now that there is so much choice I am much less inclined to watch anything just to have it on in the background or put up with something that is merely 'ok'.

Back in the 4 channel days I would watch hours of tv, and much of it was utter shit. I now can't understand why I would want to watch a 30 minute unfunny sitcom any more, but there were a lot of them!

I am much more likely to just get lost skipping through youtube than turning on the tv. I guess younger people are doing the same with stuff like TikTok. 

Either way, there is so much mediocre garbage on Netflix. I'd be interested in seeing if there are many people watching any of it, or is there a huge swing where most people watch a tiny percentage of the content. 

When nobody else was streaming that was also the golden age of television.  There wasn't competition, except from HBO, which made its own content too, as well licensing films, and Netflix was able to license the best stuff.  Starting around, o I dunno, when STARZ, FX, Masterpiece, then the broadcast networks too, began their own pay to stream services, that all changed. This is why NF is so much more filled with mediocre than in earlier times.

Somehow too, NF has never or hardly ever come up to the quality of what it licensed with its own financed productions.  Why that is, I don't know.  The Last Kingdom worked very well; Bridgerton has too, for those who like that sort of thing.  But mostly it has brought great big misses.

Edited by Zorral

Browsing fatigue is the main reason I went through the trouble to set up a Plex server for movies on an old laptop and some hard drives I had. Everything is on one thing and I click movies and they're sorted randomly, filtered so it's only movies I haven't watched. (on Plex at least.) 

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

They will lose even more subscribers from India soon. They are going to be removing all HBO shows!

https://deadline.com/2023/02/house-of-the-dragon-succession-hbo-disney-plus-hotstar-india-warner-bros-discovery-1235254661/

EXCLUSIVE: HBO content, including tentpoles such as House of The Dragon and Succession, is on the verge of moving from Indian platform Disney+ Hotstar, where it has been streaming since 2016, according to local industry sources. 

16 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yup.

Wasn't there talk of Netflix streaming sports a while ago? I think they were talking about football.

It's an area they know they'd benefit massively from, but they also know it's a tough market to crack and the bidding wars would be insane.

But they have seen the possibilities. Drive to Survive has been so massive that there's been rumours that Netflix would consider buying the global TV rights to F1 or even buy the entire sport itself (which would likely cost ~$20 billion, so not cheap), which would be insane. But Netflix are desperate to find a growth area with global appeal and sports is something they have not really tapped yet.

Edited by Werthead

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's an area they know they'd benefit massively from, but they also know it's a tough market to crack and the bidding wars would be insane.

But they have seen the possibilities. Drive to Survive has been so massive that there's been insane rumours that Netflix would consider buying the global TV rights to F1 or even buy the entire sport itself (which would likely cost ~$20 billion, so not cheap), which would be insane. But Netflix are desperate to find a growth area with global appeal and sports is something they have not really tapped yet.

F1 would be cool but I think it's too big. MotoGP would be better I think, and probably more affordable. I'd be down for that. Maybe Rugby or Aussie rules football.

Who knows, maybe they'll announce they just got the rights to air cricket. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

For sports, it makes sense to have individual channels or at least localized by interests. If I want to watch cricket or football, give me a specific channel to subscribe to.

As someone who doesn't give a fig for most sports, I don't want to subsidize rich athletic programs. Just give me movie and show options, thank you very much.

Yes, I subscribe to Peacock solely for Premier League soccer and rugby, although I watch less and less soccer each year.  But the sports get fragmented across several platforms as each competition sells broadcast rights separately.  I’d prefer if there was a streaming channel to cover each sport entirely, instead of charging a lot for a service that partially covers dozens of sports I don’t really follow.

I know Netflix is working on a Drive To Survive-style documentary series about Six Nations rugby.  It would be good business for them to buy rights to broadcast rugby before they make it more popular.  F1 should have taught them that lesson.

Edit: I think Disney+ will learn an expensive lesson about over-investing in Marvel and Star Wars. They already reaped big money from those but they’ve fatigued the audience with over-exposure and diluted the franchises.

Edited by Iskaral Pust

• 1 month later...

Per IGN, Warner Bros. Discovery is officially set to relaunch HBO Max as simply Max. The rebranded service will offer a combination of conent from Discovery+ and HBO Max, and will reportedly debut sometime in May or June. 

Why in the hell would you combine services and lose the prestige name of HBO?!!?  Doesn't even tell me that it has the HGTV type shows either.

If I didn't know what I was looking at, I would just assume that Max is a Cinemax product.  And why would I want that?

I suspect they will emphasize HBO and Discovery in advertising to associate them with the MAX brand.

Honestly, it sort of makes sense? You think HBO, you think Discovery, you think two very distinct things. You either make an awkward service name like DISCOVERY HBO or HBO DISCOVERY or DISCOVER HBO (which gives too much emphasis to HBO anyways), or you make something new.

Like, maybe the entire idea of creating one super-service is nuts in itself, but in terms of branding, they're correct that it needs its own brand if they're going to do it.