Joe Abercrombie's A LITTLE HATRED (Book 1 of The Age of Madness trilogy - coming out September 19) - NO SPOILERS

The hairy bear

With the old thread surpassing the 20 pages and A Little Hatred coming out this September 19, it's time for a new one!

What Joe has revealed about it so far:

• The book will be the first of a trilogy, followed by The Trouble with Peace and The Beautiful Machine that will be published on September 2020 and 2021.
  • The title comes from William Hazlitt's quote “Love turns, with a little indulgence, to indifference or disgust; hatred alone is immortal.”
  • Starts in year 604, 14 years after Red Country or 28 years after the Last Argument of Kings.
  • Mostly takes place in the Union and the North, and so picks up the threads of the first trilogy a little more directly than the standalone books did, as the world (or parts of it, at any rate) moves rapidly forward into the turmoil of early industrialisation.
  • The war between Bayaz and Khalul is sort of the constant undercurrent of this world. But the magic is clearly dropping back in importance. There's a lot less magic in this trilogy than the First Law.
  • I has 7 POV characters: Savine dan Glokta (daughter of Jezal/Glokta and Ardee), Prince Orso (son of Jezal and Terez), Leo dan Brock (son of Halleck and Finree), Rikke (daughter of the Dogman), Vick dan Teufel (daughter of Sepp dan Teufel), Gunnar Broad, and Jonas Clover.
  • We will see Glokta (significantly), Shivers, Black Calder, Dogman, Gorst, Bayaz, Vitari and Shenkt (briefly), Isern-i-Phail, Terez (including a short POV), Finree, Tunny, Sergeant (now Colonel) Forest, Brint, Sulfur.
  • We won't see any new magi, Shy, Temple (although his company will be mentioned), Shev, Javre, Carcolf, Conthuss, Crummock-I-Phail, Ferro, or Ferro's family.

• 2 weeks later...

Attended Joe's reading today at Worldcon. He read from ALH one of those scenes he likes to do where the perspective jumps from character to character in a chain, with the characters all being small ones. 

Joe is a great reader. He should narrate his audiobooks.

31 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Attended Joe's reading today at Worldcon. He read from ALH one of those scenes he likes to do where the perspective jumps from character to character in a chain, with the characters all being small ones. 

Joe is a great reader. He should narrate his audiobooks.

No, he shouldn’t, because i refuse to miss out on the delightful Steven Pacey!

On 8/7/2019 at 7:37 PM, The hairy bear said:
  • We will see Glokta (significantly), Shivers, Black Calder, Dogman, Gorst, Bayaz, Vitari and Shenkt (briefly), Isern-i-Phail, Terez (including a short POV), Finree, Tunny, Sergeant (now Colonel) Forest, Brint, Sulfur.

Ayyyyyyyyy.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, Lord Patrek said:

My review of A Little Hatred here.

Nice.

Add to that a refugee crisis caused by the collapse of the Gurkish Empire, with masses of migrants leaving the continent to escape the chaos...

I wonder if this has anything to do with Zach and the new Old Empire.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:24 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

No, he shouldn’t, because i refuse to miss out on the delightful Steven Pacey!

Ha, I told him that at one of this book signings, and he agrees with you. Tbh, I don't listen to audiobooks. 

Over and over on his Twitter feed and elsewhere, I have seen @Joe Abercrombie lament/respond that the economics of book signings don’t work for his publishers to send him over the pond for an extended tour.

I would like to ask @Werthead and @Lord Patrek about that.  Is it just the changing realities of advertising?  What are they doing to promote books today that they weren’t doing before that makes book tours unsustainable as an advertising model?

The signings he's doing in the UK seem more like booksellers wanting people to buy a copy from them than elsewhere. So while i guess they don't shift that many more units it can encourage people to buy from them. Eg Waterstones have him doing some signings and a talk which will undoubtedly boost their sales to the point it probably covers paying for his train fare. I'm paying twice as much to get my copy from them vs Amazon for instance.

So it's maybe a model that works best when he's invited by sellers as opposed to the publisher doing it?

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

It's different in the UK, as train fares are way less expensive than flying him to and around the USA.

Yeah he'd have to boost store sales significantly to justify translatlantic flights. I guess finding a big convention around a book launch is always a good opportunity

On 8/20/2019 at 11:44 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Neither did i, until i tried these

Pacey is so good I've even considered listening to books solely on his narration skills. He's certainly made the reread a different experience for me 

Archived