The hairy bear

Joe Abercrombie's A LITTLE HATRED (Book 1 of The Age of Madness trilogy - coming out September 19) - NO SPOILERS

Just got a call from a patient of mine that works at Barnes and Noble, I had asked her to reserve a copy of ALH.  She said she was doing shelving today and the book is there and doesn't have a hold on it for Tuesday.

Tremble and fear my spoilers later today mortals!!!!!!!  Muahahahahaha.  :smug: 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Just got a call from a patient of mine that works at Barnes and Noble, I had asked her to reserve a copy of ALH.  She said she was doing shelving today and the book is there and doesn't have a hold on it for Tuesday.

Tremble and fear my spoilers later today mortals!!!!!!!  Muahahahahaha.  :smug: 

Got news from Waterstones that my shipment is on its way :D I pray the postal service doesn't fuck anything up :D

12 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The in laws have the baby on tuesday. Can I sack off date night and just read in bed? 

Better yet, tell your in-laws to keep the baby indefinitely. That way you can have both date night with the mrs. and Joe!

Damn, after waiting so long the date snuck up on me.  Didn't get it ordered until last night. So won't be reading this until Thursday.

13 hours ago, Astromech said:

I still have to finish Sharp Ends. Almost done.

Was just gonna re-read the trilogy but decided to do the stand-alones and sharp ends as well so it’s gonna be a little bit before I read A Little Hatred :wacko:

45 minutes ago, King Roberts beard said:

How are folks pronouncing Rikke? 

"Jon Snow" 

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

But I was pronouncing it pretty much like Joe said above.

About 1/3 way through. There are no end of nods back the the previous books. 

Loving it so far but not sure there is a Logan or Glokta level character. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Loving it so far but not sure there is a Logan or Glokta level character. 

I'm not very far yet, but it seems the main difference is that the characters in this book are more living in the shadows of established characters.  And they're more coming-of-age while Logan and Glokta had already experienced a lot of shit before the start of The Blade Itself.

Just a warning for those of you partway through the read of the book: don't go into the spoiler thread. I had assumed (wrongly, my bad) that people would be blanking out major spoilers on the first couple of pages so people could discuss different parts of the book, but there are major spoilers on page 1.

I agree that none of the new characters have been quite as amazing from the get-go as say, Glokta in The Blade Itself (but I'm only 20% or so in), but there are also a lot more POV characters than TBI- or at least the pages are spread much more evenly among them, and that the cast as a whole seems stronger.