Jump to content
Jekse

Who might George be talking about here?

Recommended Posts

"Es gibt da diese Figur, von der ich immer wusste, dass sie sterben wird, vom Moment ihrer Einführung an war sie dem Tod geweiht. Aber ich wusste nicht, wie sie sterben würde. Seit gestern Abend weiß ich es. Vielleicht lag es an Hamburg, keine Ahnung."
Translation: “There’s this character, which I always knew that they will die, from the moment of their introduction to them was doomed to die. But I did not know how they would die. Since last night, I know it. Maybe it was Hamburg, no idea.”

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/literatur/game-of-thrones-autor-george-r-r-martin-in-deutschland-a-1040107.html
One thing to note, the translation is not entirely accurate, ''[sie]'' means ''she'' or ''them'' in German, so it is unknown whether it's a woman or a figure who's gender George keeps ambiguous. 

Who might George be talking about here? Any theories?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jekse said:

One thing to note, the translation is not entirely accurate, ''[sie]'' means ''she'' or ''them'' in German, so it is unknown whether it's a woman or a figure who's gender George keeps ambiguous. 

Ehhhh ... "Figur" is female and thus the gender of the character is never specified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To me it sounds someone would be made into hamburgers, though that most likely isn't the case since it doesn't require much of a idea.

Someone on reddit claimed the legend of execution of privateer in Hamburg could be connected to it: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Störtebeker

If so it might be some  Greyjoy : Asha or Victarion maybe.

Edited by Eltharion21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SirArthur said:

Ehhhh ... "Figur" is female and thus the gender of the character is never specified. 

What?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jekse said:

What?

 

 

The German statement is not as ambiguous as you thought. 'Sie' can be the personal pronoun for the third person singular female (she) or the third person plural for all sexes (they). (It can also mean 'them', but that is clearly not the case here.) In this case it is pretty clear that the word refers to the word 'Figur', which is singular and gramatically female, so you have to use the female form of the pronoun. GRRM was talking about one character, but it is impossible to tell if that character is male or female. The English translation of the statement has some flaws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jekse said:

"Es gibt da diese Figur, von der ich immer wusste, dass sie sterben wird, vom Moment ihrer Einführung an war sie dem Tod geweiht. Aber ich wusste nicht, wie sie sterben würde. Seit gestern Abend weiß ich es. Vielleicht lag es an Hamburg, keine Ahnung."
Translation: “There’s this character, which I always knew that they will die, from the moment of their introduction to them was doomed to die. But I did not know how they would die. Since last night, I know it. Maybe it was Hamburg, no idea.”

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/literatur/game-of-thrones-autor-george-r-r-martin-in-deutschland-a-1040107.html
One thing to note, the translation is not entirely accurate, ''[sie]'' means ''she'' or ''them'' in German, so it is unknown whether it's a woman or a figure who's gender George keeps ambiguous. 

Who might George be talking about here? Any theories?
 

Isn t this from a very old interview? I could swear he said something similar a long time ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

The German statement is not as ambiguous as you thought. 'Sie' can be the personal pronoun for the third person singular female (she) or the third person plural for all sexes (they). (It can also mean 'them', but that is clearly not the case here.) In this case it is pretty clear that the word refers to the word 'Figur', which is singular and gramatically female, so you have to use the female form of the pronoun. GRRM was talking about one character, but it is impossible to tell if that character is male or female. The English translation of the statement has some flaws.

ah okay thanks. I haven't had a German class in two years, opted for French instead...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, he meant Jeyne Westerling. According to some rumors, she is supposed to appear in Prologue of TWOW, and in all previous books, whoever was POV in Prologue, always died there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, divica said:

Isn t this from a very old interview? I could swear he said something similar a long time ago

It's dated from 2015. 

 

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Maybe, he meant Jeyne Westerling. According to some rumors, she is supposed to appear in Prologue of TWOW, and in all previous books, whoever was POV in Prologue, always died there.

Only the POV character dies. And I don't think GRRM has ever made a character that has appeared before a POV character in a prologue chapter. As far as I can remember they were all characters we had never met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hamburg ... Hamburger? ... Jojenburger?

(not Jojenpaste!)

TV Stuff:

Spoiler

This article was from the year 2015. George was active with HBO GoT from Season 1 (2011) to Season 4 (2014). Jojen died in Season 4, a Season where GRRM approved the script writing for D&D. Jojen hasn't been killed of in the books ... yet.

It may be hard to picture if everyone thinks Bran & Company are safe in 3EC's cave ... but what if they are not? What if all their food they are eating are being catered by Hannibal Lecter? ... being served by another Rat Cook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Loge said:

As far as I can remember they were all characters we had never met.

Varamyr Sixskins. First appearance - ASOS, Jon X; last appearance - ADWD's Prologue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

It may be hard to picture if everyone thinks Bran & Company are safe in 3EC's cave ... but what if they are not? What if all their food they are eating are being catered by Hannibal Lecter? ... being served by another Rat Cook?

I think God had figured out Jojen's death long in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jekse said:

I think God had figured out Jojen's death long in advance

Yes

6 hours ago, Jekse said:

Translation: “There’s this character, which I always knew that they will die, from the moment of their introduction to them was doomed to die. But I did not know how they would die. Since last night, I know it. Maybe it was Hamburg, no idea.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

 

 

  Hide contents

This article was from the year 2015. George was active with HBO GoT from Season 1 (2011) to Season 4 (2014). Jojen died in Season 4, a Season where GRRM approved the script writing for D&D. Jojen hasn't been killed of in the books ... yet.

It may be hard to picture if everyone thinks Bran & Company are safe in 3EC's cave ... but what if they are not? What if all their food they are eating are being catered by Hannibal Lecter? ... being served by another Rat Cook?

Spoiler

What makes you think Martin had the final say in what David and Dan wrote? That’s very very super duper innacurate. FYI. 

 

Edited by kissdbyfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:
  Hide contents

What makes you think Martin had the final say in what David and Dan wrote? That’s very very super duper innacurate. FYI. 

 

Spoiler

I think GRRM had a lot of influences on GoT from Season 1 to Season 4. And then he cut D&D off by Season 5.
Any discrepancy from the TV show and the books from Season 1-4, I feel like it can be clues to the future books.
Like 3ER & 3EC name change was approved by GRRM. 
The discrepancies can also be stuff he wished he added/changed to AGOT, ACOK, ASOS & AFFC.

For example, in the books Jaime & Tyrion left each other on poor terms.
But in Season 4, they bonded over their cousin ORsOn Lannister smashing beetles.
This may seem like an absolutely pointless scene, and perhaps D&D wrote that scene themselves.
But what if that seemingly useless scene was written by GRRM, and it had a lot of deeper meaning?
Did you know a film called "The Other Side of the Wind" was written and directed by an Orson Welles?
Perhaps the Other Side of the Wind has something to do with the music of ORsOn smashing beetles.
Perhaps this scene is GRRM secretly venting against the music of the Beatles.
Well who knows what music he likes ... maybe George is a Led Zeppelin fan or an AC/DC fan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jekse said:

Who might George be talking about here? Any theories?

I don't have enough. So it's more of a guesswork:

Likely male: Ramsay / Unlikely male: Davos

Likely Female: Selyse / Unlikely Female: Val

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×