NFL 2019 Preseason: Hard Knockin on Gruden's Door

DanteGabriel

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

That one guy who took his jersey off looked like such a jackass.  

Sure sucks for Indy fan though.  They seemed to have a better roster around him all of the sudden, and he'd had such a great bounce-back year last year. 

As a fan of a team who finally has a QB after two decades of searching, I have zero sympathy for Indy fans who went from one of the greatest QBs of all-time in Peyton Manning directly to Andrew Luck after one year of tanking.  That's especially true since their team wasted both guys' primes with horrible mismanagement. 

12 hours ago, briantw said:

As a fan of a team who finally has a QB after two decades of searching, I have zero sympathy for Indy fans who went from one of the greatest QBs of all-time in Peyton Manning directly to Andrew Luck after one year of tanking.  That's especially true since their team wasted both guys' primes with horrible mismanagement. 

Which was especially galling because they just came off a decade of elite contention with Peyton Manning, sucked for all of one year because the nerves in his neck and back weren't healing, and tanked and fell ass backward into the Peyton Manning of the next generation. 

Some gratitude for the 7 years Luck spent getting beaten to a pulp, suffering a lacerated kidney, pissing blood behind awful Grigson O-lines would be nice. 

I remember when RG3 got hurt and Irsay had the absolute fucking nerve to say that he wouldn't have exposed his franchise QB to injury the same way Washington had. This after a season when Luck took more hits than RG3 but avoided injury as a bigger, more durable dude. But of course those hits did lead to Luck's body breaking down in like 5-6 distinct ways and ultimately an untimely retirement. Choosing to pay Luck's salary, despite his retirement, was the first class move I can recall from that buffoon. But I still have zero sympathy to him or any of those spoiled AF booing fans.  

43 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I remember when RG3 got hurt and Irsay had the absolute fucking nerve to say that he wouldn't have exposed his franchise QB to injury the same way Washington had. This after a season when Luck took more hits than RG3 but avoided injury as a bigger, more durable dude. But of course those hits did lead to Luck's body breaking down in like 5-6 distinct ways and ultimately an untimely retirement. Choosing to pay Luck's salary, despite his retirement, was the first class move I can recall from that buffoon. But I still have zero sympathy to him or any of those spoiled AF booing fans.  

And as it turns out, RG3 will have outlasted Andrew Luck in the NFL.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:35 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I hated Luck and "Irsay the lesser" ever since Indy was so classless about pushing Peyton out of town. They both are exactly where they deserve to be atm in time. Lolololol:D

How can anyone hate Andrew Luck? He’s like the nicest guy in the league.  

14 hours ago, briantw said:

One thing that stands out in all of this is that Indy and Green Bay have gotten 45 years’ worth of play out of four of the ten most talented QBs ever and only have gotten three rings out of it so far.

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Some gratitude for the 7 years Luck spent getting beaten to a pulp, suffering a lacerated kidney, pissing blood behind awful Grigson O-lines would be nice. 

It worth noting that in his five year tenure he only drafted three o-linemen before the seventh round. That’s terrible in general, but unforgivable when you have a legit elite franchise QB who got sacked 100 times in his first three seasons.

42 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

And as it turns out, RG3 will have outlasted Andrew Luck in the NFL.

Idk, don’t be surprised if he comes back in a year or two.

You know, its certainly a bad look to boo the guy as he walks off the field of a preseason game.  At the same time, I get it.  If he had retired in April or May, I don't think you see any reaction from fans.

Do it a week before the season starts and I can understand the frustration from a fan's point of view.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

You know, its certainly a bad look to boo the guy as he walks off the field of a preseason game.  At the same time, I get it.  If he had retired in April or May, I don't think you see any reaction from fans.

Do it a week before the season starts and I can understand the frustration from a fan's point of view.

Sure, I think it's fair to be disappointed that your franchise QB is retiring this close to the season, after a year where it seemed like the team finally had put a decent roster around him. It's still not okay to boo him.

And anyway, there are indications that the Colts knew he was at least thinking of retirement a while ago. Luck's been a "good soldier" throughout his career. Do you think he sprung this on them?

29 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

And anyway, there are indications that the Colts knew he was at least thinking of retirement a while ago. Luck's been a "good soldier" throughout his career. Do you think he sprung this on them?

Yup. That's why they're still planning on paying him what he is owed this year. Luck has taken a beating over the years and has played with some horrifying sounding injuries. On top of that, this seems to be the second time they botched an injury with him. Andrew Luck is a smart, connect guy with a lot of interests outside of football. Like with Rosen, that was used as a knock against him in the draft. I personally wish him well and hope he goes on to live a healthy fulfilling life. He honestly seems like a great person. It's a shame we're never going to see what his overall potential could have been, because I honestly think he's the greatest QB prospect I've ever seen, or at least was till Sunshine came strolling through Clemson. 

I'm greatly enjoying watching this putrid fan base devour itself. They're realizing on the propaganda site I frequent that we all like Jacoby and wanted him to play well in any relief of Luck until right up to 48 hours ago. 

The Colts are now in QB purgatory, where everything they had going for them like the good O-line, depth on defense, and talent at WR will conspire with the idiotic prudence of having a good backup to keep them there.

This team isn't losing 14 games. Or 12. I see their floor as 6 wins, the ceiling as 9. So after 7 years of what-the-actual-fuck-ism we become the new Dolphins. Bengals as the best case. 

Tough luck.

Like most I was surprised when I saw this Saturday, I thought it was fake until I went to several sites and saw it on all of them. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his current injury is more serious than they are letting on and that he may have told them before the season that he was thinking about retiring.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm greatly enjoying watching this putrid fan base devour itself. They're realizing on the propaganda site I frequent that we all like Jacoby and wanted him to play well in any relief of Luck until right up to 48 hours ago. 

The Colts are now in QB purgatory, where everything they had going for them like the good O-line, depth on defense, and talent at WR will conspire with the idiotic prudence of having a good backup to keep them there.

This team isn't losing 14 games. Or 12. I see their floor as 6 wins, the ceiling as 9. So after 7 years of what-the-actual-fuck-ism we become the new Dolphins. Bengals as the best case. 

Tough luck.

Yeah, but at least they've got a great GM now who will likely be able to find a solution at QB within the next few year or two.  The team won't be bad enough to pick too high, but a lot of great QBs have been drafted outside the top ten, and whoever he does eventually draft will step into a great situation surrounded by talented players.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, Farve was an interception away from giving the Vikings an Owl, notwithstanding the 75,000 fumbles committed by Peterson and Harvin.

FML

Making the Owl.  The Saints didn't exactly mop the floor with the Colts, and there's no way to know who would have won that one. 

28 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Making the Owl.  The Saints didn't exactly mop the floor with the Colts, and there's no way to know who would have won that one. 

We would have crushed the Colts. The Vikings took the Saints to overtime on the road with seven fumbles and two interceptions, including an insanely unexplainable one at the end of the game when it was all but won. We had the best team that year, but per usual, we’re cursed.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

We would have crushed the Colts. The Vikings took the Saints to overtime on the road with seven fumbles and two interceptions, including an insanely unexplainable one at the end of the game when it was all but won. We had the best team that year, but per usual, we’re cursed.

It's strange to say "we're cursed" but still be convinced you would have crushed the Colts in that Super Bowl. Sean Payton had to get creative to beat the Colts. Would a Vikings team coaches by Brad Childress and Darrell Bevell have been as creative?

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's strange to say "we're cursed" but still be convinced you would have crushed the Colts in that Super Bowl. Sean Payton had to get creative to beat the Colts. Would a Vikings team coaches by Brad Childress and Darrell Bevell have been as creative?

Exactly.  The Vikings have a long history of failing to show up whenever victory seemed within reach, and that Colts team was no joke.  Assuming that a very banged up Brett Favre would have outplayed Peyton Manning is foolish. 

Archived