NFL 2019 Preseason: Hard Knockin on Gruden's Door

DanteGabriel

49 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

No idea what the two guys closest to the 40 are supposed to be doing.  Place each of them back five yards and within four yards of each sideline and you can stop what the Saints pretty much HAVE to do.  And four guys (three out of frame) beyond the 30.  Surely two can cover the deep ball.

Yes, this formation prevents the Hail Mary.  But Hail Marys seldom work.  Fifteen yard outs work a lot.
I know I'm arguing with the moon.  Pretty much everyone who saw this saw the same.

19 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Yes, this formation prevents the Hail Mary.  But Hail Marys seldom work.  Fifteen yard outs work a lot.
I know I'm arguing with the moon.  Pretty much everyone who saw this saw the same.

Yeah and the Saints had a timeout which Houston either didn't realize or didn't care. They ended up completing a 9 yard pass in the field of play that put them into FG range and it was super easy because Houston was only defending the relevant part of the field with 7 guys. Brees can do that in his sleep. 

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah and the Saints had a timeout which Houston either didn't realize or didn't care. They ended up completing a 9 yard pass in the field of play that put them into FG range and it was super easy because Houston was only defending the relevant part of the field with 7 guys. Brees can do that in his sleep. 

The weird part is in the moment it felt like the Saints were totally mismanaging the clock, but in the end it all worked out. What a bizarre final minute.

If the league's job is to entertain us that defense did great.  It provided the kind of elation that usually only happens for other people.   The refs came off as evil again near the end which was funny given their on air declaration that they must call a great game to earn trust back.   

When Texas went up I didn't really despair, it was more like, "I don't like that."    Texans.  See what I'm saying about those damn Texans?    Came in there expecting to win and junk.   Bunch of butts.   All competitive and shit.   Saints' schedule doesn't look all that scary thanks to all the division games.  This was one of their toughest weeks.   Hey, maybe Antonio Brown can do the honors this season when it's time for New Orleans to bow out in a memorable way!

On 9/9/2019 at 10:48 AM, Tywin et al. said:

And (ii),@DanteGabriel, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Told ya.  

Told me what? I don't think I made any judgments on how likely AB to NE was, or expressed disbelief at the rumors. I just said I didn't want him. I'm still not convinced it's a good idea.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:40 AM, Jaime L said:

It's funny when you point how little skill position depth the '07 Patriots had. I mean it's completely true. The RBs were all mediocre (James White would chuckle at Kevin Faulk's season), Ben Watson was ok, and the other WRs weren't special.

But that was still the most terrifying offense I've ever seen. All it took was an in-his-prime Brady, the greatest deep threat season ever by Moss and the greatest slot receiver season ever by Welker. Just 3 guys - simplistic, complimentary perfection. 

Now you got Brown as the new Moss and Edelman as the new Welker and Gordon as an overqualified Stallworth. Factor in Michel/White vs. Maroney/Faulk and yeah maybe it is more talented top to bottom. But it doesn't feel nearly as scary mainly because Brady is positively ancient. That said, the deep ball actually looked pretty solid tonight so WTF do I know. I'm done guessing when this gravy train will end. 

In retrospect it might be more accurate to say that the 2019 team is deeper and better overall, but I'll agree there was a qualitative difference to that 2007 team, just because Randy Moss could devastate you at any moment. There's something different about the way Moss did it. Even just seeing his lanky frame and slightly stooped posture as he lined up evoked a frisson of sporting thrill that hasn't really been matched in my football fanhood. Gronk at his peak was maybe as close as I've come to that kind of sensation.

I will say, there is a certain amount of hilariousness in the Pats releasing a statement saying they take these matters very seriously and don't condone sexual assault or rape when their owner was literally caught on tape soliciting sex workers who were probably smuggled here illegally, had their passports stolen, and certainly aren't servicing old rich assholes willingly not so long ago.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

I will say, there is a certain amount of hilariousness in the Pats releasing a statement saying they take these matters very seriously and don't condone sexual assault or rape when their owner was literally caught on tape soliciting sex workers who were probably smuggled here illegally, had their passports stolen, and certainly aren't servicing old rich assholes willingly not so long ago.

Easy there! You're coming off as dangerously anti-worker. Sex work is work. #bluechecked

Who knows what will happen with AB, but the guy appears to need some serious help.

Also I'm glad my hatred of the Patriots has at least eroded to the point of grudging respect because watching that game on Sunday night was hard as a Steelers fan regardless of what team it was. 

1 hour ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Who knows what will happen with AB, but the guy appears to need some serious help.

Also I'm glad my hatred of the Patriots has at least eroded to the point of grudging respect because watching that game on Sunday night was hard as a Steelers fan regardless of what team it was. 

Seems like it's been a while since you were in this thread. Welcome back.

13 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Told me what? I don't think I made any judgments on how likely AB to NE was, or expressed disbelief at the rumors. I just said I didn't want him. I'm still not convinced it's a good idea.

Just that he’d end up on the Pats, though it appears he might also never play for them.

KInd of a ridiculous story.  Yes, yes, I know it could very well be true; yes, I know, being the victim of sexual assault is complicated and messy. I get that a woman who is the victim of sexual assault/rape is running the gambit of emotions and is sometimes so overwhelmed by everything that nothing she does (or fails to do) ever makes sense after-the-fact.  

But ... 

..Britney Taylor says she was hired by Brown as a personal trainer. Taylor claims the first incident happened in June 2017 during a training session when "Brown exposed himself and kissed [her] without her consent."

Okay, totally inappropriate.  Should not have happened.  She of course immediately broke off contact with this vile creature and stormed off, never to see him again. Wait, what?

Taylor then describes a second alleged incident ...

So... okay you continued to work for this fucker.  Okay, hey we all got to make a living I guess... 

"Later that month, Brown, while positioned behind her, began masturbating near her without her knowledge and ejaculated on her back."

WHAT THE FUCK!?!??  Now, the statement here that requires info is the "without her knowledge."  Did this guy jerk off on her wand she didn't know?  How did she not know?  Was she asleep?  Did he Rufee her?  Or did she know?  This is fucking gross.  And - just to point out - sexual contact between consenting adults can be really gross.  Also what does "position himself behind her" mean in this context?  Why is that even there?  Now, for the record, I'm a lawyer so I write stuff like this all the time and this fucking sentence appears fucking crazy.  

Several months later, the accuser claims Brown reached out to her to express contrition and "begged forgiveness."

Which, of course, the victim would not do because he jacked off on her and she was not emotionally or financially tied to him at that time.  It seems out of character - for anyone to go back to a customer who 1) exposed themselves, 2) tried to kiss them, 3) got behind them to masturbate and then 4) climaxed on them (without them knowing ).  So, of course, she told this fucking deplorable piece of shit to take a h- 

Taylor claims Brown begged her to continue training him -- and after initial hesitation, she ultimately agreed.

(*sigh*)

I call bullshit.  

So this financially independent woman who does not need his affection nor financial security WILLINGLY goes back to this guy after he blew a load on her without her consent?  Pardon me if I'm mildly incredulous at this story.  Mildly.   I mean, did she go to the police?  Like ever? Other pro athletes have run afoul with the law; this is all post-Ray Rice; did she not know the police exist?  In Florida?  She didn't (at least that's what we know so far) and that's because after somebody just rapes you it's unseemly to go to the cops.  How dare I even suggest it... 

I know, I know, Big Ben raped a woman in a bathroom so I'm a hypocrite for not believing this woman.  I know, I know, its almost as if different cases and varying facts could prompt different reactions.  I know, I know- its a crazy fucking world we live in! 

And, just to point out, she waited until this guy could not get out of the news to file.  Like you do.  

I mean, I'm allowed to be suspicious, right?  That this woman can file a civil complaint - to which there is no barrier to plausibility that would prevent the accusation from getting this far - and he has to drop from the league?  That seems harsh.

I have seen the text messages and their nasty and vile; its almost as if these people had issues or something.  Totaly out of character here. 

It would be nice if we could wait to see what transpires; gather evidence and wait before we jump to conclusions.  But alas, that's not to be.  Blame.Blame.Blame.  

I recall when Randy Moss- like the week before the Superbowl -was accused of a very similar set of accusations.  Stunner, they went nowhere.  I know, I know; its almost as if some people out there make horrible accusations without them being true. 

Nah, not here, right?  This must be true.  Deadspin said so!  

Archived