U.S. Politics: Moscow Mitch

Martell Spy

So what was the conversation then Plato?

the operative distinction, i thought, is that while we can identify his statement as language susceptible to the interpretation that it is racist language, we are unable to infer therefrom that the author of same is a racist person, or so.  same debate as we had years ago in the 'Is Tolkien a Racist?' threads. (curiously, while searching for the thread, i found this article, about this site and the efforts here, per the abstract, to construct a normatively white identity--trump-high paywall, however, so no idea.)

A report popped up on my cell phone saying Jeffrey Epstein was found dead in his cell.

eta: Suicide. They were supposed to be watching him. A trial would have been waaaaaay better. I guess he didn’t want to be assassinated on the way to court.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/10/walmart-apologizes-own-school-year-like-hero-gun-display/555393001/

At least Walmart admitted it was horrible so they took the sign down...they took the sign down

Walmart really has their priorities straight, don't they?

2 hours ago, sologdin said:

the operative distinction, i thought, is that while we can identify his statement as language susceptible to the interpretation that it is racist language, we are unable to infer therefrom that the author of same is a racist person, or so

Sure, that was the discussion I was having.  My argument was voters don't tend to care about that distinction once you start attributing racist/racism to a candidate.

53 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A report popped up on my cell phone saying Jeffrey Epstein was found dead in his cell.

eta: Suicide. They were supposed to be watching him. A trial would have been waaaaaay better. I guess he didn’t want to be assassinated on the way to court.

Maybe not assassination by his buddies, but surely he wanted to avoid getting all the depravities dragged out publicly one way or another. I wonder what now happens with the case.

And then of course you raise a very good point about the guards: Just how easy is it to kill yourself in American prisons again?

58 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Way too suspicious. I don't think it was suicide, and I'm not prone to wild flights of tinfoil fancy. 

Even though a trial would have been better...good riddance. They have more than enough to bring down some very powerful people without him. Some people are too evil to live.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not to be too conspiratorial, but I do wonder if this was a murder. It's very convenient for a lot of powerful people that he is dead. And the whole thing where he was nearly immune to the law stinks to high heaven. 

Who knows what actually happened, and hopefully they do a legitimate and thorough investigation, but I wouldn't blame the COs for not watching him.  You can't keep your eye on one prisoner 24/7, that's not feasible.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Who knows what actually happened, and hopefully they do a legitimate and thorough investigation, but I wouldn't blame the COs for not watching him.  You can't keep your eye on one prisoner 24/7, that's not feasible.

Actually, that’s what a suicide watch means, constant surveillance. So the person won’t, you know, commit suicide.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Actually, that’s what a suicide watch means, constant surveillance. So the person won’t, you know, commit suicide.

No, that's not what actual suicide watch is.  It does not mean constant surveillance.  It does, however, mean he shouldn't have had access to anything he could use as a noose.  So, there's that.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Especially since he'd allegedly already tried to do so. What an absolute mess. And the conspiracies might never end. Wonder if he had some kind of dead man's clause written into the execution of his estate though...

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, that's not what actual suicide watch is.  It does not mean constant surveillance.  It does, however, mean he shouldn't have had access to anything he could use as a noose.  So, there's that.

Various former prison officials are saying that in this facility, which regularly holds high profile perps, like Madoff and Guzman, a suicide watch is 24 hour surveillance. They find his successful suicide is absolutely incomprehensible. A video camera sits inside the cell for 24 hour surveillance. There is a lot of staff at a major facility, it’s not the local sheriff’s office.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Various former prison officials are saying that in this facility, which regularly holds high profile perps, like Madoff and Guzman, a suicide watch is 24 hour surveillance. They find his successful suicide is absolutely incomprehensible. A video camera sits inside the cell for 24 hour surveillance. There is a lot of staff at a major facility, it’s not the local sheriff’s office.

I don't know about the cameras in this specific case - I just woke up - but suicide watch generally refers to periodic monitoring, about every 10-15 minutes, whether the prison is local, state, or federal.

When Children at the Border Got Compassion
The United States has a moral responsibility for unaccompanied children—and took it seriously, at least in 2014.

6:15 AM ET
Eric Fanning
Former Secretary of the Army

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/americas-moral-responsibility-migrant-children/595840/

While immigration is a complex issue, we are entirely capable of both securing our borders and treating migrants humanely. Even in this moment when nearly every debate feels polarized, Americans should all be able to agree at least on the paramount importance of protecting and caring for the children involved.

Back in 2014, the makeshift facility at Lackland Air Force Base was open for four months and cared for more than 3,600 children. There were more than 100 Spanish-speaking case workers whose primary task was connecting kids with family, so that Border Patrol officers weren’t in charge of caring for children—a task they were never trained to do.

Officials arranged for English, math, and art classes—and sports—for migrant children; citing budgetary reasons, the present administration has canceled such vital services. Five years ago, children slept in dormitories with beds and blankets, not on ice-cold floors. And dozens of medical staff and resources were available, from a clinical psychiatrist to a mobile medical unit for contagious children, which kept dangers such as flu and lice from spreading.

I was proud that so many organizations, inside and outside of government, came together so quickly to make a terrible situation for these children somewhat better. But the way migrant children are treated today is reprehensible. It defies the values of this country and shirks our responsibility as both Americans and humans. And history will not treat these choices kindly.

BTW, this says Epstein actually wasn't on suicide watch:

He was previously put on suicide watch after he was found semi-conscious on the floor of his jail cell on July 23 with marks on his neck. Multiple people familiar with the investigation say that Epstein was in his own cell, but was not currently on suicide watch at the time of his death.

Archived