U.S. Politics: Moscow Mitch

Martell Spy

57 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I gather a comedian spoke on twitter verse --- the black hole of humanity.

pfft 

Nothing makes me laugh harder. Twitter is FUNNY. Pretty damned informative too [on any subject] if you're choosey about your follows.  

4 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Listen DMC, maybe you're some city boy who doesn't understand growing up on the farm, but we always had weapons around. My dad kept a locker full of AR-15s, Ak-47s, and auto-loader semi-automatic shotguns. We all knew where our individual Kevlar soft armor vests were stored, and my dad also had armor made of hard ballistic plates. You know, for coyotes and shit. But we never thought of using those weapons on humans!

I assume this is sarcasm?

One never knows these days.

37 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

pfft 

Nothing makes me laugh harder. Twitter is FUNNY. Pretty damned informative too [on any subject] if you're choosey about your follows.  

pfft, I suppose I should change my outdated, what is it called, screen name.

Pick something more trendy.

Do you have any thing to say about the twenty year old goof who went walking around Walmart in Missouri?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/armed-man-missouri-walmart-second-amendment-social-experiment_n_5d4ed47be4b0fd2733f109b2

8 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Pick something more trendy.

Do you have any thing to say about the twenty year old goof who went walking around Walmart in Missouri?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/armed-man-missouri-walmart-second-amendment-social-experiment_n_5d4ed47be4b0fd2733f109b2

Nah. Never been much of a trend follower.

Insofar as the goof, he should've listened to his sister. And four years in the clink sounds fine to me.  

But on July 29—six days after the incident that led to his placement on suicide watch and seems in hindsight to have more likely been an actual attempt to take his own life rather than a stunt resulting only in minor bruises around the neck—Epstein was deemed to be “no longer at imminent risk for suicide.” Regulations mandated a final evaluation by the Program Coordinator. 

“Once an inmate has been placed on watch, the watch may not be terminated, under any circumstances, without the Program Coordinator or designee performing a face-to-face evaluation,” the regulations state. “Only the Program Coordinator will have the authority to remove an inmate from suicide watch.”

After His Suicide Watch Ended, Jeffrey Epstein Was Left to Look After Himself
A man who had acted in the outside world as if the rules did not apply to him was now left without the protection of prison rules meant to protect inmates from self-harm.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/after-his-suicide-watch-ended-jeffrey-epstein-was-left-to-look-after-himself?ref=home

4 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Gosh, my farming relatives just had shotguns and rifles, and never thought about using them on people. That idea was instilled as I was old enough to talk.

I grew up on an Alaskan homestead at the very end of the road grid.  Firearms were part of life growing up; 'getting a moose' was a yearly ritual (or getting part of somebody else's moose.)  Had a .22 rifle; Dad had a .306 with a scope (nice), plus a couple others including his .44 pistol from the service.  That said, for our family, the hunting trips pretty much stopped when I was a teenager and those firearms saw very little use thereafter.  

11 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

A man who had acted in the outside world as if the rules did not apply to him was now left without the protection of prison rules meant to protect inmates from self-harm.

It's more than that -- even the rules that were supposed to apply to all prisoners weren't applied:

It was not immediately clear why Epstein was taken off suicide watch.

At the MCC, two jail guards are required to make separate checks on all prisoners every 30 minutes, but that procedure was not followed overnight, according to the source. In addition, every 15 minutes guards are required to make another check on prisoners who are on suicide watch.

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

I almost posted earlier something like "how long before Trumpworld links Epstein's death to the Clinton's" not that this would have shown any particular insight by me.  So predictable.  

The whole thing is the stuff of conspiracy theories, unfortunately.  

Judging by how fast Hillary Clinton memes and remarks have proliferated from friends-of-friends on social media, I'd say the strategy went live within minutes of the news going out.

24 minutes ago, Triskele said:

@DanteGabriel

I'd meant to reply earlier on your comment on Greenwald, but it slipped my mind, and seeing your last post reminded me.

He had a long interview in this Chapo Trap House podcast that me and larry and Simon have mentioned.  The Mueller part was really meh, and I've ripped him a few times in here in the last year or so on his whole Fox News thing and how he seems like a Russian asset or something.  This has felt believable to me given that back in his Salon days he was so anti-Bush that it made me think he was so anti-US establishment as to be pro-Russian in some kind of enemy-of-my-enemy way.

But the rest of this interview, and I'd welcome comments from @larrytheimp or @Simon (why the fuck does your name not come up on the search) on whether they agree if they heard this, was incredible.  It was all about Bolsonaro and stuff he's going in Brazil, and how shitty it is, and it was so articulate, so well-prosecuted, if you will.  And all coming from a situation where it seems like he should genuinely fear for his life.  It was kind of awesome and inspiring, and it really reminded me of the old GG.  

Still struggling to reconcile the whole thing on how this guy can be such a fascist-hater on the one hand and then go on Fox news to sort of defend Trump on the other hand.  

i can’t speak for anyone else, but yeah, greenwald (and to an even greater extent some of the rest of the intercept, looking at you lee fang) have some very shitty, borderline reactionary takes, especially in terms of free speech absolutism, prison abolition, etc. and while i generally agree [eta: with greenwald] the russia election shit is no where near the mess a lot of us liberal media make it out to be, he does goes too far in his putin apologia. that being said, he is still one hell of an investigative journalist, and brave as hell, and a lot of people dismiss his valid points and even his current terrible situation because of said pint addresses above. 

8 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

biden needs to just go away lol.

That's not a gaffe, that's clear evidence of mental decline. Let's just hope that Democratic primary electorate recognizes this in time.

Elderly Washington Couple Dies in Murder-Suicide Blamed on Worries Over Medical Bills

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/08/washington-couple-murder-suicide-medical-bills.html

An elderly couple who died by murder-suicide in the state of Washington Wednesday left notes for police explaining that they were worried about medical bills. Law enforcement officials say Brian S. Jones, 77, shot and killed Patricia A. Whitney-Jones, 76, before turning the gun on himself.

The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office published a detailed report of the murder-suicide on its Facebook page, noting they received a 911 call from the 77-year-old man saying he was going to kill himself, detailing how he left a note with instructions. The dispatcher tried to keep him on the phone but the man hung up. When police arrived, the couple was already dead.

“Several notes were left citing severe ongoing medical problems with the wife and expressing concerns that the couple did not have sufficient resources to pay for medical care,” notes the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office.

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

@DanteGabriel

I'd meant to reply earlier on your comment on Greenwald, but it slipped my mind, and seeing your last post reminded me.

He had a long interview in this Chapo Trap House podcast that me and larry and Simon have mentioned.  The Mueller part was really meh, and I've ripped him a few times in here in the last year or so on his whole Fox News thing and how he seems like a Russian asset or something.  This has felt believable to me given that back in his Salon days he was so anti-Bush that it made me think he was so anti-US establishment as to be pro-Russian in some kind of enemy-of-my-enemy way.

But the rest of this interview, and I'd welcome comments from @larrytheimp or @Simon (why the fuck does your name not come up on the search) on whether they agree if they heard this, was incredible.  It was all about Bolsonaro and stuff he's doing in Brazil, and how shitty it is, and it was so articulate, so well-prosecuted, if you will.  And all coming from a situation where it seems like he should genuinely fear for his life.  It was kind of awesome and inspiring, and it really reminded me of the old GG.  

Still struggling to reconcile the whole thing on how this guy can be such a fascist-hater on the one hand and then go on Fox news to sort of defend Trump on the other hand.  

I listened recently Trisk (sometimes I hold off the interviews for when I have time to pay closer attention), and I'm glad I did. I think your point about Greenwald being an asset just because of how anti-Government he was makes sense. When the Snowden stuff, there were people who began looking at Russia as a good actor in that (and what they did in granting asylum to Snowden was good, I'd say, but clearly clearly politically motivated). I've always liked Greenwald on a lot of things, though he has his issues too. He's in a lot of danger now, but he's such an activist he doesn't seem too concerned (or as concerned as I would be!). It's a good interview. I think he's a complicated person and hard to pin down for sure. He is anti-fascist, but despite that label, he seems to have not fully formed/pinned down his ideology. Or everything is so corrupt, he is working with whatever he can. I don't know.

10 hours ago, Gorn said:

That's not a gaffe, that's clear evidence of mental decline. Let's just hope that Democratic primary electorate recognizes this in time.

It could be, I agree. Coupled with his strange moments of struggling for words in the debate (topped off with the 30330 or whatever), there are concerns for sure. I didn't think of cognitive decline when I heard this, I thought, "Oh, he's so used to lying about everything (politician) that he believes this. Like Brian Williams' helicopter story."

I see from CNN reports that right-wing fucktards across the US are amusing themselves by making threats against Walmart. At least 8 stores have been targeted. In Florida some guy posted he had three days left on probation and would then go out and buy an AR-15, and warned folks not to shop at Walmart next week. He was arrested. Florida, where someone at a Trump rally yelled out ‘shoot ‘em’.

Archived