U.S. Politics: Moscow Mitch

Martell Spy

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

Carrie Bradshaw begs to differ

Well how would I know that?  You must submit to girlfriends easier than I, cuz none of them ever got me to watch that shit.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well how would I know that?  You must submit to girlfriends easier than I, cuz none of them ever got me to watch that shit.

It's a quality show regardless of having a significant other or not, and of course submitting to or entertaining certain aesthetic preferences can be an engaging and provocative part of any relationship.  I'd even wager there are hundreds of thousands of single men 'rouns the globe who have appreciated Sex and the City.  

Not to mention you knew what I was talking about :P

6 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Not to mention you knew what I was talking about :P

LOL, fair enough.  I'm not gonna judge anyone for watching shows I may look down upon - there's many shows I love that many may look down upon, with good reason.  But anyway, while I recognized the reference because I was born in 1985 and Sex and the City came out, like, right after I hit puberty, again I really do not understand why Carrie Bradshaw would disagree with me - because I never watched the damn show.

58 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL, fair enough.  I'm not gonna judge anyone for watching shows I may look down upon - there's many shows I love that many may look down upon, with good reason.  But anyway, while I recognized the reference because I was born in 1985 and Sex and the City came out, like, right after I hit puberty, again I really do not understand why Carrie Bradshaw would disagree with me - because I never watched the damn show.

lol you are such a jack berger ;)

Trump basically threatened NH voters.  Be interesting to see just how unhinged he becomes over the next year.

Possible nickname for Trump by his Democratic opponent: 'Traitor Trump' - not that any of them have the nerve....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/you-have-no-choice-but-to-vote-for-me-trump-tells-n-h-rally/ar-AAFSLJ5?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR0t_fjYFnmusGOU8XVzeMAnI5VDCScjg6aLWsZ1Cuv_DJ5goINmjQ1ziZM

16 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

Everything I needed to know about stopping for protesters blocking the road I learned from Reginald Denny. 

I will never ever ever stop my car for protesters blocking the road. If protesters are blocking the road, a driver should assume that they want to do him harm, and should defend themselves accordingly. Slow down, give the protesters a chance to clear out of the way and drive slowly through, just as this truck did. The protesters mom's should have taught them not to play in traffic. 

You sound like someone suffering an acute case of cowardice.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Trump basically threatened NH voters.  Be interesting to see just how unhinged he becomes over the next year.

Possible nickname for Trump by his Democratic opponent: 'Traitor Trump' - not that any of them have the nerve....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/you-have-no-choice-but-to-vote-for-me-trump-tells-n-h-rally/ar-AAFSLJ5?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR0t_fjYFnmusGOU8XVzeMAnI5VDCScjg6aLWsZ1Cuv_DJ5goINmjQ1ziZM

He difn’t threaten the state, he said ‘you have to vote for me’, which he will be saying over and over again. This idea that the long-running recovery from the 2008 financial collapse would have not only stopped but the stock markets would have crashed as well ‘if somehow I hadn’t been elected’ is goofy and completely unsupportable, but I guess that’s what you will be hearing ad nauseam for the next 15 months, so brace yourselves for waddling through thigh-deep bs.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I detest Trump but I think that's barely a threat.  Its more saying "things will be terrible under my opponent, great under me", which is what all politicians do.  

The hate-filled, white supremacist etc. wreckage of everything goes back to Gamergate.

"How an Online Mob Created a Playbook for a Culture War"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/15/opinion/what-is-gamergate.html

It's interactive and has several contributors.

Also -- the jittery animated graphics framing the text make it hard on the eyes -- ugly painful and distracting.  Ugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plus how 'world leaders' destroyed the global economy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/15/opinion/recession-stock-market.html?

Why are so many key global leaders pursuing so many stupid economic policies?

As recently as January 2018, the International Monetary Fund issued one of its most upbeat economic forecasts in recent years, extolling “broad based” growth, with “notable upside surprises.”

By last month, the fund had sliced its forecast for expansion this year to 3.2 percent — a significant falloff from the 3.9 percent projection reiterated just six months earlier — and had pronounced the economic picture “sluggish.” American investors are more concerned; the bond market is sounding its loudest recessionary alarm since April 2007.

The deterioration in the economic picture is not the consequence of irresponsible behavior by banks or a natural disaster or an unanticipated economic shock; it’s completely self-inflicted by major world leaders who have delivered almost universally poor economic stewardship.

The trade war initiated by President Trump sits firmly atop the list of bad policies. But Brexit has tipped Britain into economic contraction. With European governments unwilling to pursue structural reforms, the continent is barely growing. President Xi Jinping of China has focused on standing up to Mr. Trump and solidifying his own power. After a promising start reforming the economy, India’s prime minister, Narendra Modi, has turned instead to oppressing his country’s Muslim minority....

~~~~~~~~~

Frank Rich agrees.

"From Trump Boom to Trump Gloom
The smart money thinks Trumponomics is a f
lop."
By Paul Krugman

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/15/opinion/trump-economy.html?

All three books reached the same conclusion: What Trump has described as an immigrant “invasion” was actually a corporate recruitment drive for poor, vulnerable, undocumented, often desperate workers.

One of the poultry plants that Stuesse explored, in the small town of Morton, Mississippi, was raided last week. B. C. Rogers, the company that owned the plant in 1994, launched a hiring drive that year called “The Hispanic Project.” Its goal was to replace African American workers, who were seeking a union, with immigrant workers who’d be more pliant. It placed ads in Miami newspapers, arranged transportation for immigrants, and charged them for housing in dilapidated trailers. Within four years, it had brought roughly 5,000 mainly Latino workers to Morton and another meatpacking town in Mississippi, enlarging their population by more than 50 percent. The poultry industry expanded throughout the rural South during the 1990s, drawn by the warm climate and the absence of labor unions. Tens of thousands of immigrant workers soon arrived to cut meat. Charlotte S. Alexander, an associate professor at the Georgia State College of Law put it succinctly: “In the poultry industry, location is a labor practice.”

The immigrant workers arrested in Mississippi the other day were earning about $12.50 an hour. Adjusted for inflation, during the late 1970s, the wages of meatpacking workers in Iowa and Colorado were about $50 an hour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Hurst, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi, helped coordinate the immigration raid and joined ICE agents on the scene. He is the leading Justice Department official in America’s poorest state, one with a history of racist brutality and some of the lowest rates of undocumented immigration in the country. (Perhaps 0.7 percent of the population of Mississippi is currently undocumented.) “The execution of federal search warrants today was simply about enforcing the rule of law in our state and throughout our great country,” Hurst claimed in a press release. He later defended the raid during an appearance on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show. “This administration, this president, is all about law and order,” he said. And he said it with a straight face. No top executive of a major meatpacking company has been arrested for violating immigration, worker-safety, food-safety, antitrust, or environmental laws. The adjectives shameful and disgraceful don’t approach the reality of what is now taking place.

Why It’s Immigrants Who Pack Your Meat
What Trump has called an “invasion” was actually a corporate recruitment drive.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/trumps-invasion-was-a-corporate-recruitment-drive/596230/

If the goal is to increase wages of U.S. citizens, why aren't meatpacking executives being arrested? It doesn't seem like the goal has anything to do with increasing citizens wages, or there would be a more rational plan to make that happen.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

All three books reached the same conclusion: What Trump has described as an immigrant “invasion” was actually a corporate recruitment drive for poor, vulnerable, undocumented, often desperate workers.

Everywhere in my city, where latinx workers have been omnipresent, including China Town, and the omnipresent Korean produce and convenience stores, are "HELP WANTED!!!!!!" signs.  These are places where we never saw public signs for help wanted.  It was all word of mouth, presumably, which was all that was needed.  

11 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

He threatened the entire conservative movement in 2016. This is nothing new.

So.  It seems there may be a nationwide stop to the customs agents' computer system.  Everyone coming into the country is standing in long, endless lines at JFK, Dulles, etc., as customs agents process by hand.  Seems to be a hack of some kind.

He's destroying in one way and another every damned system in the country.  Nothing but a smoking ruin is going to be left.

Archived