U.S. Politics: Moscow Mitch

Martell Spy

holy shit i am dying

eta: context for those not terminally online- claire here is the founder of quillette (andy ngo’s home!) and they posted article by a supposed dsa member (a self described marxist-leninist-alinskyist??) lamenting the state of the org after the national convention and how the movement was doomed... only the the person in question does t exist and there is no record of them being a member of dsa at all... because you know, quillette employs actual journalists with clear understanding of ethics and and due diligence 

11 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

You should hear about what goes on at these DSA meetings

i saw the npc in a closet making babies and i saw one of the babies and the baby called a an amendment to a motion on the floor and the amendment was passed

larry, are you on twitter? dm your @ fam, 

2 hours ago, a good and nice guy said:

holy shit i am dying

eta: context for those not terminally online- claire here is the founder of quillette (andy ngo’s home!) and they posted article by a supposed dsa member (a self described marxist-leninist-alinskyist??) lamenting the state of the org after the national convention and how the movement was doomed... only the the person in question does t exist and there is no record of them being a member of dsa at all... because you know, quillette employs actual journalists with clear understanding of ethics and and due diligence 

It doesn’t matter. What she wanted to do is merely reinforce whatever mistrust her followers have of any non-conservative favorable studies performed in social-sciences in general because people in the disciplines (History, economics, sociologists, Physiologists, anthropology) often don’t produce data on a topic that conforms to her or her followers prejudices on a topic.

And she probably succeeded. 

I wonder Lehman actually believed her own statements here.

Because the biggest and most obvious  counterpoint is so obvious and summed up by one poster on Twitter perfectly:”So if I'm following your logic here, if an untrained outsider can get a hoax paper published in a fifth-rate pay-to-play physics journal, that will discredit all of physics?”

It really isn’t hard to find some hoaxes published in even disciplines even she’d be hard pressed to deny are real. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/news/2013/10/131003-bohannon-science-spoof-open-access-peer-review-cancer

9 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It doesn’t matter. What she wanted to do is merely reinforce whatever mistrust her followers have of any non-conservative favorable studies performed in social-sciences in general because people in the disciplines (History, economics, sociologists, Physiologists, anthropology) often don’t produce data on a topic that conforms to her or her followers prejudices on a topic.

And she probably succeeded. 

I wonder Lehman actually believed her own statements here.

Because the biggest and most obvious  counterpoint is so obvious and summed up by one poster on Twitter perfectly:”So if I'm following your logic here, if an untrained outsider can get a hoax paper published in a fifth-rate pay-to-play physics journal, that will discredit all of physics?”

It really isn’t hard to find some hoaxes published in even disciplines even she’d be hard pressed to deny are real. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/news/2013/10/131003-bohannon-science-spoof-open-access-peer-review-cancer

not sure if you are misreading my post, or just misunderstanding the point 

quillette employs actual journalists with clear understanding of ethics and and due diligence 

their use of the sokal affair is uncommonly silly.  one has to read the original article in social text, and then his retraction in lingua franca, and then his explanation thereafter in dissent, inter alia.  it is not a critique of any 'discipline,' but rather of certain theoretical doctrines (more particularly a journal that disseminates them), with which the author of the parody at issue is not necessarily conversant. it is a fortiori no critique of the leftwing or the DSA.

to wit, in lingua franca, he says

I say this not in glee but in sadness. After all, I'm a leftist too (under the Sandinista government I taught mathematics at the National University of Nicaragua). On nearly all practical political issues -- including many concerning science and technology -- I'm on the same side as the Social Text editors. But I'm a leftist (and feminist) because of evidence and logic, not in spite of it.

in dissent, he wrote

I confess that I'm an unabashed Old Leftist who never quite understood how deconstruction was supposed to help the working class. And I'm a stodgy old scientist who believes, naively, that there exists an external world, that there exist objective truths about that world, and that my job is to discover some of them.

a bit naive, perhaps, but there's nothing horrifying in sokal's appreciation of the issues. he certainly would not agree with the use to which the banker is putting him.

Don't want to go down the rabbit hole of psychoanalyzing Biden's gaffes for evidence of racism or what have you. However, I do want to note that he is an old-school Democrat who is probably insufficiently 'woke' for this modern world. There is no way he will be a leader in ...well, nearly anything, but the best we can hope for is that he comes along for the ride and mostly hews to liberal philosophies.

After the dissipation of the debate bumps, he still looks to be holding on to first place. Warren/Sanders/Harris follow, but the latter appears to have plateaued a bit. She needs to find a way to get more of Biden supporters in her column, I dont think she'll get too much from the more progressive wing of the party.

40 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Don't want to go down the rabbit hole of psychoanalyzing Biden's gaffes for evidence of racism or what have you. However, I do want to note that he is an old-school Democrat who is probably insufficiently 'woke' for this modern world. There is no way he will be a leader in ...well, nearly anything, but the best we can hope for is that he comes along for the ride and mostly hews to liberal philosophies.

After the dissipation of the debate bumps, he still looks to be holding on to first place. Warren/Sanders/Harris follow, but the latter appears to have plateaued a bit. She needs to find a way to get more of Biden supporters in her column, I dont think she'll get too much from the more progressive wing of the party.

It almost like the thread has completely forgotten that it was Biden who forced Obama’s hand on the issue of same sex marriages.  

Is Biden perfect? No, far from it. But is he a racist? Obviously not.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It almost like the thread has completely forgotten that it was Biden who forced Obama’s hand on the issue of same sex marriages.  

What does supporting LGBT have to do with being a racist?

Why is it obvious that he's not racist when he equates poor people with people of color? 

Why is it obvious that he's not racist when he had his fun times with segregating schools and bussing?

Chances are excellent that if you're a white man in the US you're at least a bit racist. If you're a white man in your 70s chances are good that you're more than a bit racist. 

i like how the root looks at it. that said, am perplexed in their statement that

it's amazing to me that despite his inability to crush a debate and his continuous fuckups, he’s still leading early national polling as the Democratic presidential nominee.

sounds basic bad race politics in the US.

I'm willing to accept that Biden doesn't want to be racist and probably tries his best not to be. But the remark is pretty telling about his mental map of race and socioeconomic status. Come on, he was the guy expressing delight about how articulate Obama was. He's certainly a "product of his time." And I guarantee at least a plurality of white people of his generation have the same unconscious bias.

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

What does supporting LGBT have to do with being a racist?

Why is it obvious that he's not racist when he equates poor people with people of color? 

Why is it obvious that he's not racist when he had his fun times with segregating schools and bussing?

Chances are excellent that if you're a white man in the US you're at least a bit racist. If you're a white man in your 70s chances are good that you're more than a bit racist. 

I used that example to highlight that he can be a leader on issues. I find this rebranding of Biden to be bizarre, frankly. Like I’ve said before, this race to be the wokest of them all is going to blow up in liberals’ faces. And suggesting that he had fun times with segregationists goes directly against what he said. Come on man. Do you really think the first black nominee of a major party would pick someone to run with him who is/was a racist?

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm willing to accept that Biden doesn't want to be racist and probably tries his best not to be. But the remark is pretty telling about his mental map of race and socioeconomic status. Come on, he was the guy expressing delight about how articulate Obama was. He's certainly a "product of his time." And I guarantee at least a plurality of white people of his generation have the same unconscious bias.

This is a much more measured take on the situation. I think Biden generally has tried to do the right thing, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t failed at times. And I agree that he’s a product of his generation, and that he clearly has some unconscious biases and stereotypes. But that’s not the same as being a racist, and pointing and screaming “racism” when you don’t like something only devalues the term, and it allows Republicans to use it right back. And trust me, there are a lot of white people that really want that fight.

pointing and screaming “racism” when you don’t like something 

or it could more productively be construed as alleging racism when one identifies race-oriented prejudice rather than the language above, which is difficult to distinguish from the presentation of trump voters.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Come on man. Do you really think the first black nominee of a major party would pick someone to run with him who is/was a racist?

Yes, I absolutely 100% do, and I'm shocked that you can even ask that question legitimately. Of course Obama would pick a person who might be racist if it could help him win and help him with his vision. Obama isn't going to use some kind of purity test there. Now, would Obama pick someone who is blatantly, loudly, politically super racist like Trump? No, I don't think he would. But would Obama pick someone who genuinely believes that black people are synonymous with poor people? Certainly, because that's most people. Especially older, whiter ones in politics. That's just the norm. If Obama didn't do that, he wouldn't be able to pick anyone over 40. 

But yes, Obama picked someone who supports the Hyde amendment, who supported the policies of segregationists, who was a huge supporter of the tough on drug crimes in the 90s, because it made  voters feel safer that Obama can be hanging out with that kind of guy. In this case, that's a feature for Obama, not a bug. That reassured a lot of people that if you were just casually a bit racist and occasionally racist in your politics you could still be buds with Obama, and he wasn't going to go all crazy on white people. This is the kind of bullshit balancing act that people of color in the US have to deal with all the time, and your argument against that basically boils down to 'Biden can't be racist, he has a black friend'. 

This is a much more measured take on the situation. I think Biden generally has tried to do the right thing, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t failed at times. And I agree that he’s a product of his generation, and that he clearly has some unconscious biases and stereotypes. But that’s not the same as being a racist,

Ah, so unless you're lynching people you're not racist. Got it.

and pointing and screaming “racism” when you don’t like something only devalues the term, and it allows Republicans to use it right back. And trust me, there are a lot of white people that really want that fight.

Yeah, pretty soon if you call people racist enough they'll join the other side and be even MORE racist, just to show us.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dude, how can you say that with that much certainty, when he just fucking said that "poor" kids  are just as bright as withe kids, like if this is not an example of some racist as fuck shit, then i know how trump got elected.

like, the grab them by the pussy comment, its clear he didnt mean it like that, obviously trump is not a sexist and racists  piece of shit/s. 

When people tell you who they are, you should belive them. 

36 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

and pointing and screaming “racism” when you don’t like something only devalues the term, and it allows Republicans to use it right back. And trust me, there are a lot of white people that really want that fight.

Hmmm where else have i seen this "argument" being made, who are the people that say shit like this,  can someone help me remember? 

2 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Dude, how can you say that with that much certainty, when he just fucking said that "poor" kids  are just as bright as withe kids, like if this is not an example of some racist as fuck shit, then i know how trump got elected.

Uh?  He misspoke?  You're attributing this to be what he actually, secretly means, rather than just the kind of slip of the tongue that we all make.  Considering that he clumsily tried to correct it more or less immediately, I'm quite prepared to just move on. 

There are plenty of things not to like about Biden, but this is a tempest in a teacup. 

Archived