Football: A New Hope

Iskaral Pust

Nice for the players to lift another trophy — and both this and the Charity Shield cane down to a single missed/saved penalty — but I hope they aren’t injured or too tired after a long game in hot conditions.  And clearly there is some team cohesion that needs to be improved quickly. 

34 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Well that wasn't ideal, even two of those Liverpool penalties should really have been saved, but, hey, we've won the Super Cup so it's all been worth it.

Glorious Chelsea didn't even want your stupid Super Cup!

Spoiler

:frown5:

Spoiler

:crying:

Spoiler

:bawl:

Recorded the game but didn’t see much. Thank the gods Kante is back in center mid. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Still have a striker problem even with giroud scoring. If he’s coming off the bench then fine, but if he’s starting big matches I think that’s a problem. Still want to see more from Tammy. Of course he’s the only one that missed a pk. Sounds like rudiger is close to coming back, along with Willian. Once CHO is good to go I’ll be more hopeful. For now just need to get through the next couple months and win the easy games cause we have a good bit of those in the PL during that time frame.

Takeaways from that:

I'm not entirely sure what's happened to our defence, but we've looked shaky all pre-season and now for two games (thought we looked better against City, confoundingly). Don't think it's down to Alisson's absence, as we looked shaky all game against Norwich as well. Hopefully it's something Klopp can sort out posthaste.

Kante is amazing. Sarri really did a number on him last season. Pulisic also looked sharp.

Matip had more passes to Chelsea players than teammates. On the plus side, he's more assertive and physical in his defensive play, which is good to see. His tackles and interceptions are (mostly) on point as well. 

Bobby is the lynchpin of our attack. Completely changes the flow of our play. Intelligent positioning, fantastic work rate, unequalled close control and layoffs (even with headers) and terrific vision. As Klopp said after the game, he's different from all other players in the world in his position.

There's an argument to be made that a Hendo - Milly - Fab midfield is a bit too slow against quick and nimble opposition, although you have to make a bit of an allowance for heat and fatigue. Still, would be preferable to have one of Ox, Naby or Gini in there. 

Agreed with those who said that Gomez looks ineffective at RB. Also thought Robbo had a quiet game by his standards.

I was really impressed by Chelsea's performance last night. In particular, I thought our midfield was excellent, winning so many balls and putting together some really quick passing moves in tight spaces.

For Kante to put in a performance like that over 120 minutes after having an injury and picking up another small knock on Sunday is quite incredible. Last season, Sarri got a lot of stick for playing Kante on the right of a midfield three, so I was glad to see Lampard play him there again last night. If we are playing 433, that is Kante's best position, as it offers him more freedom to press high and carry the ball forwards. Sometimes he is pigeon-holed as simply being good at recovery possession, but his ability with the ball in dribbling and passing is very underrated. 

After not originally being a big fan of Jorginho's, in the final third period of last season, Jorginho really started to impress me and he has continued his good form into this season. I thought last night was one of his best performances in a Chelsea shirt. He is proving not only to always offer a passing option for other players and being a clever long and short passer himself, but he is improved with his ability to press and win the ball back. He also has shown that he is a big game player, with some of his best performances coming in the League Cup final, home to Spurs last season, the Europa League final, Man United away on Sunday and last night in the Super Cup.

On his full debut, I thought Pulisic put in a really good shift. He has a similarity to Pedro in the way that he looks to make runs in behind the opposition defence. 

Hasn’t kante always played next to a holding mid (Drinkwater, Matic, Jorginho?) ? Definitely his best position and he bossed the game yesterday. 

4 hours ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

On his full debut, I thought Pulisic put in a really good shift. He has a similarity to Pedro in the way that he looks to make runs in behind the opposition defence. 

Pulisic looked electric. Always seemed a threat. 

5 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

There's an argument to be made that a Hendo - Milly - Fab midfield is a bit too slow against quick and nimble opposition, although you have to make a bit of an allowance for heat and fatigue. Still, would be preferable to have one of Ox, Naby or Gini in there..

For sure. Think Keita was all set to play but caught an injury in warm ups. Really sucks he’s not been able to have a solid pre season and start the season running but I still have high hopes for him this year. 

5 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

There's an argument to be made that a Hendo - Milly - Fab midfield is a bit too slow against quick and nimble opposition, although you have to make a bit of an allowance for heat and fatigue. Still, would be preferable to have one of Ox, Naby or Gini in there. 

I thought he was universally despised by the Liverpool fans on this board.

I think it showed he can play attacking mid when he is allowed to. I think when he plays on the right mid, Klopp asks him to be more defensive (much to Soylent's dismay!) to allow TAA to bomb on without becoming vulnerable to counters. I don't think it's any surprise that when Hendo and TAA play together, Pool look vulnerable on that side. But also create more chances from that side, so probably worth the risk.

Archived