Football: A New Hope

Iskaral Pust

So what's the pay out for Pukki becoming the EPL top goalscorer this season? Of course he won't be, but I still find the idea of Teemu effing Pukki being the EPL top scorer of the season to be pretty funny. On the same notion has anybody checked on our big fat copper? Getting spanked by Norwich is probably not the sign for a good season for Newcastle.

37 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On the same notion has anybody checked on our big fat copper? Getting spanked by Norwich is probably not the sign for a good season for Newcastle.

I had very low expectations for this season anyway. 

I don't know why it annoys me when defenders turn sideface to avoid the ball when "blocking" a shot, but it does.

Not that I support City, but ffs Laporte, this is your fucking full time job! Act like you've got a pair!

Also, I don't know if this is true for all the stadiums but they need to be *so* much better with VAR in the stadiums. So many moments at the emirates today where we had zero idea what was going on

I got to watch most of the City-Spurs game in the gym.  Spurs were bloody lucky.  City battered them all game, but fluffed several chances and conceded two soft goals. 

Spurs possession game was very poor.  They tried to play out of defense but struggled to get past the press.  And whenever they did break the first line of the press, Winks would receive the ball in space and then promptly pass it back to a CB and put them all under pressure again.  Every. Single. Time.  And their forwards weren’t offering an effective out-ball either.  Kane, so ponderous, could only show short for the ball each time, easily tracked by Otamendi, and his lay-off nearly always went to a City player.  Without Son or Moura to offer a threat behind the defense, they made it too easy for City to play a high line.  Kane was basically a non-factor in the game.

That said, City’s defense was great at playing out but terrible at defending.  Spurs had so little possession or territory but still scored two, and neither was a worldy.  Spurs defense at least made some good blocks, even if they were carved open by every KDB cross.  And when will RBs starting looking over their shoulder to track Sterling’s late runs?  It can’t be that hard. 

Anyway, nice for City to drop points when Liverpool had the more taxing week.  But next we face Arsenal who have lots of firepower against our shaky defense and back-up keeper.

I wouldn't be too worried about Arsenal. Yeah, their attack is class but their defence is dodgy and the game is at Anfield which makes a big difference. Liverpool have been practically unbeatable at home under Klopp. 

ETA. Romano reported earlier in the day that Inter are interested in Sanchez. Di Marzio is now reporting that Inter have reached an agreement with Sanchez and are in talks with United. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I wouldn't be too worried about Arsenal. Yeah, their attack is class but their defence is dodgy and the game is at Anfield which makes a big difference. Liverpool have been practically unbeatable at home under Klopp. 

This. Arsenal’s desire to play out of the back at all times will be their undoing. Burnley put a ton of pressure on them; Liverpool will do infinitely worse.

Archived