Football: A New Hope

Iskaral Pust

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. Romano reported earlier in the day that Inter are interested in Sanchez. Di Marzio is now reporting that Inter have reached an agreement with Sanchez and are in talks with United. 

That’s a convenient escape for United.  I was looking forward to them carrying that contract to completion, and poisoning every other contract negotiation. 

Unsure whether it's wise to get rid of Alexis now though. Lukaku's gone, Greenwood & Chong are youth, Mata's old and Lingard is Lingard, so we are incredibly short in our forward options. Apparently we aren't gonna sign anyone until next summer, so even if we keep him one more season, he isn't gonna poison anything, right ?

It's a loan deal and if Inter's terms are even somewhat decent then I say we should accept. Sanchez is clearly not in Solskjaer's plans and if he ends up sitting on the bench for the bulk of the season then he will be unsellable. At least at Inter he would be given more game time and might perform better in a slower paced league which gives us a chance of offloading him next summer.

It's a risk with Lukaku gone as well but one worth taking imo. Sanchez has been useless for us. If players like Greenwood, Gomes and Chong end up doing fuck all as well then they would be no worse than Sanchez and all those players combined don't earn anywhere near Sanchez's wage. 

I'm predicting Pulisic gets his first goal today against Leicester. I'm also predicting Brenden Rogers says some crazy shit at some point during his postgame interview, but that's not going out on a limb much ;) 

There's been a couple moments where he's got a bit cocky but James Maddison has absolutely bossed this second half.

I remember a year ago when we were wondering where England were going to find creativity outside of Raheem Sterling. Now we're getting close to wondering how they're gonna fit everyone in.

One thing about Leicester is they're going to have to be pretty careful with their formation this year. With Maddison, Perez and Tielemans, they were almost playing with three no 10s (Tielemans isn't quite that but he occupies those spaces when he gets forward). It took a while for them to figure out their movements and get off each others' feet, and more complete defensive teams than Chelsea will begin to crowd them.

That could work in their favour because if they get the balance right- and they're three very different no 10s - they will not be easy to crowd and teams could find their press being turned inside out in any number of ways across the three of them - but it also leaves them very, very reliant on their FBs for width- and they are full-backs rather than outright wingbacks. 

I know this is a European focused thread, but this Atlanta United vs Portland match in MLS is so good. Quality from both teams and end to end stuff. If you haven’t watched much of this league do yourself a favor and catch this match. Make no mistake it’s not the prem but it’s fun football.

Side note; I’m from Atlanta originally and the atmosphere in the ATL is amazing. Getting 70,000 fans regularly in a state-of-the-art stadium is something special. That being said, Portland feels like Craven Cottage. Smaller, older, weird stadium that radiates energy. 

Rant over ;) 

Archived