Football: A New Hope

Iskaral Pust

David Luiz sold himself again. Quality finish from Salah though.

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Surprised he actually called it without Salah going to ground 

It was actually refreshing to see the ref do that. Martial was penalised for staying on his feet even though he was clearly fouled and it should have been another penalty. VAR didn't even bother correcting the obvious mistake. 

Just now, Mexal said:

Arsenal needs a midfield that's actually decent. Think that has to be their goal going into next season. Guendouzi, Xhaka - just not good enough. 

I'm not sure why Torreira isn't playing but I don't think midfield is really the problem, though maybe that's just in comparison to ours.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure why Torreira isn't playing but I don't think midfield is really the problem, though maybe that's just in comparison to ours.

It's a massive problem. They can't maintain position, they lack mobility, they have no power and they have no creativity. Only one who's promising right now is Willock and he's better in the center than on the left. 

ETA: Ceballos was bad today but I liked when he played in the Xhaka role. he was on the ball, he escaped from tight spots and he was able to push the ball forward. Putting him more advanced in a game where we invited pressure at all times doesn't make for a good plan, especially when you have Xhaka doing absolutely fuck all in all elements of the game.

I was just about to ask, where the hell is Torreira? Emery sets up defensively but leaves out his best defensive midfielder. 

ETA. also hope that DDG's rumoured contract isn't true (it hasn't been officially announced yet). Paying him £370k/week is absolute madness anyway and especially so when he looks to be on the decline. Really should have saved Van Aanholt's shot and he's made a lot of costly errors over the past year. 

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

Seeing our fans turn on Emery based on today is quite something. It's a bit over the top.

Is it? Emery's tactics were terrible and he did nothing to change them even as Arsenal were getting rocked. He has a style that he refuses to change from even when we get dispossessed every time we try it (playing out of the back) and the last year and a bit has been some of the most boring football to watch Arsenal play in a very long time. So not surprised, especially given most fans don't actually like Emery or his style.

ETA: not to mention the obsession with Xhaka and Guendouzi but you know how I feel there.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

He has a style that he refuses to change from even when we get dispossessed every time we try it (playing out of the back)

We stopped playing out from the back last season to a large extent after the first few games, we went way more direct and is part of the reason why we improved. So he did change his style.

I just think this whole 'negative, boring football' narrative is not really true, but ymmv how 'boring' we might be is totally subjective. I don't think we are - we've been shit for the last 3/4 years under AW too.

It's his second season, we've started decently in the last two games, we have a promising if imperfect squad. I'm optimistic ( it is totally different game if we take our chances in the first half ( If pepe scores that, Emery's tactics are pretty much spot on) )

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

ETA: not to mention the obsession with Xhaka and Guendouzi but you know how I feel there.

I think we'll move away from that! He's going to play Guendouzi, Willock & Dani as we go through the season. Before we started our season, I thought we might still see Xhaka for a little while till we sort that out!

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

I think we'll move away from that! He's going to play Guendouzi, Willock & Dani as we go through the season. Before we started our season, I thought we might still see Xhaka for a little while till we sort that out!

Which is still wrong cause Guendouzi adds nothing to the team. He's very good at getting dispossessed, making bad decisions and playing the ball backwards.

Would rather play Ceballos, Willock and Torreira. Maybe the side looks different when Tierney/Bellerin comes back. Maybe the team becomes a bit more exciting. I doubt it though. It's not Emery's style.

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

We'll see - I think Matteo is quite good; I also think Torreira is being eased back into it after the copa

Good at what? He runs around, never positions himself well and doesn't actually do anything positive for the game. I mean, he's there but he's very much an Elneny type player and nothing more. He's young, can grow into it but for now, not sure what you see he provides for the team.

Think there is a team and tactics that Arsenal can play with and win. Don't think we'll see that team until October/November. Gotta just grind out some results until then.

The good thing for Arsenal is that your front three is top class. That sheer individual quality up front should be enough to see you through most games even if you have issues with your midfield and defence. This was always going to be a game where Arsenal had a minuscule chance at best of getting a result as Liverpool are practically unbeatable at home.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

The good thing for Arsenal is that your front three is top class. That sheer individual quality up front should be enough to see you through most games even if you have issues with your midfield and defence. This was always going to be a game where Arsenal had a minuscule chance at best of getting a result as Liverpool are practically unbeatable at home.

Yea. Agreed. Arsenal will definitely compete for top 4 on that alone assuming Emery can figure out how to get them all on the pitch at the same time without leaving them exposed everywhere else.

Archived