Football: A New Hope

Iskaral Pust

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Good at what? He runs around, never positions himself well and doesn't actually do anything positive for the game. I mean, he's there but he's very much an Elneny type player and nothing more. He's young, can grow into it but for now, not sure what you see he provides for the team.

I think it'll take us a while to figure out what our best combination in the middle is, I think Lucas or Guendouzi can both play that last man in the three, I personally don't think they're *that* different ( LK has the edge on interceptions & tackles, but doesn't really drive forward,  Guendouzi imo is better at driving & distribution) - I think it's hard to call what our midfield 3 will be, but I would personally be fine with any of these 3 starting ( Torreira, Dani, Guendouzi, Willock)

I’m glad Liverpool finally put away some chances and could see out the game pretty comfortably, even making some subs.  Adrian still not that convincing and has conceded in every game he has played (and has gifted possession away in every game he has played).

That was a tough game against an Arsenal side high on confidence after Ceballos’ performance last week and Pepe coming into the team.  Their speedy wide forwards are a big threat behind our attacking FBs.  So pretty pleased we handled it so well.  I knew we’d control MF unless Ceballos could be Modric and Kante combined.  Leaving Torreira on the bench definitely was an advantage too.

I hope it will help us that we’ve played City, Chelsea and Arsenal already, and done reasonably well.  We’re improving each week, despite missing our keeper.  

I assume the Chelsea fans are feeling good tonight: three good goals from two of their youth players, and a not-terrible showing from MF despite Kante out.  Mount is doing very well and this might be the catalyst for Abraham’s confidence. 

They’re conceding quite a lot but they’ve improved tons since that hapless showing against United. 

A few more or less pleasent footballing news.

Let's start with Chemnitz.
I posted it a while ago, about their fanscene and players plublicly mourning the death of a leading Neo-Nazi in that city and leading figure in their fan scene. With former RB Leipzig Daniel Frahn player proudly wearing a Support Your Local Hooligans shirt (no, I am not making this one up, that actually happened). Anyway, a few weeks ago, their DoF Sobotzik fired Frahn, because of the slight suspicioun that he might be racist (duh), which is not representative of the values of the Club (hahaha good one Thomas, glad your time there hasn't impacted your humour); of course Frahn is now taking the club to court over this. Now, the latest chapter in that saga. They had an away game at Bayern's second team for their third tier match. And their fans once again showed their true commitment to Anti-Fascism, just kidding, they were chanting stuff that would probably make most Rangers or Chelsea fans blush. Among the stuff they chanted, they called Sobotzik a "Jew pig" and proclaimed "At least Frahn is not a nigger"(no unfortunately I am not making those up either).

On more football related news, another transfer saga with Bayern involvement finally came ot an end. Time Werner signed an extension with Leipzig till 2023.

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

City should really have 2 yellow cards already. It’s been pointed out quite a lot lately how cynical they are about committing fouls when the lose the ball but they still aren’t usually punished for it.

That's not surprising though. Guardiola's teams have an uncanny knack of constantly getting away with cynical tactical fouling. His Barca team were the worst offenders in recent memory but were rarely ever punished for it. 

12 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

City should really have 2 yellow cards already. It’s been pointed out quite a lot lately how cynical they are about committing fouls when the lose the ball but they still aren’t usually punished for it.

Didn't BBC or someone look into it just the other day, and find them second in that regard, losing only to ...

Liverpool?

Seriously, Liverpool do plenty of the same. Press high, win the ball, but if you don't win it, be so close as to foul. I see no reason for Pool fans to complain here.

Just now, Rorshach said:

Didn't BBC or someone look into it just the other day, and find them second in that regard, losing only to ...

Liverpool?

Seriously, Liverpool do plenty of the same. Press high, win the ball, but if you don't win it, be so close as to foul. I see no reason for Pool fans to complain here.

C'mon now, that's one of those harmless football hypocrisies. Stuff like that is ok or goes unnoticed when your team does it, but is an absolute outrage when the opposing teams do it.

Much like Suarez or Diego Costa antics. It's all fun and games when you have them on your team, but they are total cunts when you play against them. But yes, City are smart when it comes to where they commit their fouls. They just commit them early enough so they are not marked as "tactical fouls" to disrupt a potential counter.

15 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Didn't BBC or someone look into it just the other day, and find them second in that regard

They did an attempt to measure it statistically and didn’t do a very good job, it wasn’t a great article. 

Yes, if teams press aggressively they’re probably going to commit a high proportion of their fouls in the opposition half and quickly after they lose the ball. That’s unsurprising considering that’s when they are making challenges. That’s not necessarily the same thing as cynical fouls, it can be, but Zinchenko and Walker taking out Bournemouth players once they’d been beaten had nothing to do with pressing.

39 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

They did an attempt to measure it statistically and didn’t do a very good job, it wasn’t a great article. 

Yes, if teams press aggressively they’re probably going to commit a high proportion of their fouls in the opposition half and quickly after they lose the ball. That’s unsurprising considering that’s when they are making challenges. That’s not necessarily the same thing as cynical fouls, it can be, but Zinchenko and Walker taking out Bournemouth players once they’d been beaten had nothing to do with pressing.

So they are the James Milner of City. 

Not sure if you should press the issue..

5 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

So they are the James Milner of City. 

Not sure if you should press the issue..

Whatever mate. Is anyone saying a Liverpool player has never committed a cynical foul? They should get yellow cards when they do it too.

Just now, ljkeane said:

Whatever mate. Is anyone saying a Liverpool player has never committed a cynical foul? They should get yellow cards when they do it too.

Nah, my point was that City and Liverpool share the "cynical foul"-crown.

On another note - so far, VAR really isn't working well. I hope this is a case of teeting trouble, but situations like Martial yesterday and Silva today are prime examples of what it should pick up, if we want to have it around.

47 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Are Newcastle just stealing iconic international kits for their away kit design? They had the Brazil kit and now they appear to have just picked up a Holland kit on their drive down to London.

The last year they had Northern Rock as their sponsor (2011-2012) they had an orange away top. It's one of the seemingly 153 NUFC tops MC has hanging in our closet. The shorts were white though, with black socks. Anyways, all to say they've done orange before. 

Archived