Football: A New Hope

Iskaral Pust

13 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

City man... no way they don’t get 90+ pts again.

I don't be mean to be rude, but you didn't entertain the idea, that they would drop below 90 points this season, did you?

It's a Guardiola team. It's fun to watch them going full Play Station mode while you are not competing against them, or playing them directly. Ok, you are competing against them, so I can see how this is gonna be annoying.

I hope you don't drop too many points due to Becker's injury, and that Klopp is correct, that there's still some room for player growth within your (first) team.

More likely City will hit or be close to 100 points again. They got 98 points last season with KdB, who was their player of the year the season before, only featuring in half of the league games. He's fully fit again now plus they've added Rodri and Cancelo. If Mendy can actually stay fit this season, that would improve their attacking play even further. I think Liverpool will do well in the CL again but I don't think the title race will be anywhere near as close as last season. 

52 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I thoroughly expect Newcastle to get absolutely humped today. I'm at a child's 2nd birthday party. And I am not even complaining about it. 

Never underestimate the capacity for a calamitous start to the season by Arsenal. It feels like we've had some pretty crappy beginnings to league campaigns in the past few years.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I thoroughly expect Newcastle to get absolutely humped today. I'm at a child's 2nd birthday party. And I am not even complaining about it. 

This Arsenal side is mediocre. Best time to play them is right now.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

but their forwards do have a tendency to run and run and run with the ball until it's taken away from them. Pass it, dum dums!

Both Martial and Rashford have this problem, I hope we see Mason Greenwood later for this reason, I don't think he does so much.

Well second half that became a bit of a hiding. After a shit first half Pogba showed why that position between Pereira and McTominay is exactly where he should be playing, the forwards started to click, sharp cameo by James. McGuire did exactly what we needed him to. Excellent performance in the end.

Good performance. Chelsea were the better side in the first half and we were lethal on the counter in the second. It was a great time to play Chelsea though considering Kante didn't start and Rudiger, CHO and RLC are all missing through injury. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Please don't say such horrible things.

Barring injury, Young ain't getting a look in over Wan Bissaka. Even then I think Dalot would be a better option. AWB might only have one full season under his belt but in terms of defending, he's already among the best fullbacks in the league. His attacking play isn't up there with the best but is still a whole lot better than Young or Valencia. 

Why was Dalot not on the bench today? Injured? I nearly had a heart attack when Shaw started limping and Young warmed up.

Wan Bissaka and MacGuire both had excellent debuts. McTominay and Pereira also played well, though Pereira did take a little while to get up to pace (did it faster than Pogba though). I like that midfield. Pogba playing deep with movement ahead of him versus Pogba playing deep in Mourinho's system is night and day.

eta: it was also notable and very interesting that McTominay and Pereira both took up leadership roles quite clearly during the game. McTominay especially, with the little pep talk after one of the goals, but Pereira in a less show way wasn't letting the attack rest and we needed that.

Archived