Ned Stark’s words ring hollow.

Angel Eyes

14 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So Ned Stark said that “The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.” All of this apparently doesn’t matter anymore, since now they’re “All alone, with no one there beside [them]”. Now, each of them is alone, and they’ll just die off.

LOL I get you here. It was depressing and left me feeling the bluez.

Thematically though I think its in contrast to Dany who doesn't really want to share power, isolates herself at the top of the pyramid, and claims to only need herself.

That's not the full quote and when it's hacked up, the original meaning gets lost.

AGOT Arya II

"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. So if you must hate, Arya, hate those who would truly do us harm. Septa Mordane is a good woman, and Sansa … Sansa is your sister. You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you … and I need both of you, gods help me."

It means that if the Starks encounter hard times, they need to stick together, not that they should live the entirety of their lives almost literally joined at the hip. That was never going to happen anyhow. They were all going to go their separate ways even in normal times.

AGOT Jon I

He had thought on it long and hard, lying abed at night while his brothers slept around him. Robb would someday inherit Winterfell, would command great armies as the Warden of the North. Bran and Rickon would be Robb's bannermen and rule holdfasts in his name. His sisters Arya and Sansa would marry the heirs of other great houses and go south as mistress of castles of their own. But what place could a bastard hope to earn?

Yea, but for all GRRMs literal expansion of the idea (within the Stark household) what doe sit matter to the overall plot? Starks must stick together so Arya can stab a thousands of years old ice dude - fuck off.  It had no bearing on the resolution. This is where the gaps are - GRRM seems deep, with all is allusion to greater meaning - but in the end he seems to have no idea how to resolve it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 3:25 PM, ummester said:

but in the end he seems to have no idea how to resolve it.

Let's wait for the books, shall we? Why argue with the show when you want to attack GRRM?

On 8/9/2019 at 11:14 PM, Lollygag said:

It means that if the Starks encounter hard times, they need to stick together, not that they should live the entirety of their lives almost literally joined at the hip. That was never going to happen anyhow. They were all going to go their separate ways even in normal times.

Thanks, perfectly explained and absolutely correct.

Archived