Aegon Targaryen as a ruler - case of Matthias Corvinus

Aldarion

OK, I am aware that Aegon's actual historical inspiration is likely Perkyn Warbeck, and that he is unlikely to rule for long. But that is not what interests me here. In order to create maximum conflict for Daenerys, chances are that he will be on the throne when she arrives, and that he will be well-liked ruler. But is there a chance that he could be a good ruler? Could the idea of "molding" a ruler actually work? I decided to take a look and compare Aegon with a ruler who, while not directly molded for rule like Aegon was, does check off most of other boxes that Aegon does - isolation, good education, strong-headedness etc. Ruler in question being Matthias Corvinus.

https://militaryfantasy.home.blog/2019/08/11/aegon-targaryen-as-a-ruler-case-of-matthias-corvinus/

I absolutely think he could be a good ruler. The issue is that this is A song of Ice and Fire and tragedies happen to the "heroes". As a result, I believe he will be killed (I'll say 45% chance via Cersei, 45% chance Dany, 9% chance Euron, and 1% chance White Walkers).

12 hours ago, nyser1 said:

I absolutely think he could be a good ruler. The issue is that this is A song of Ice and Fire and tragedies happen to the "heroes". As a result, I believe he will be killed (I'll say 45% chance via Cersei, 45% chance Dany, 9% chance Euron, and 1% chance White Walkers).

Agreed. It is rather unlikely he will rule for long. But if he does prove himself as a good ruler - and I do think he will - it could cause massive trouble for whoever kills him.

Archived