Tyrion's plan to free Jaime from Riverrun

This is a question I have had since I reread a Clash of KIngs, .

"Oh, for a certainty. You'll tell her it is part of my scheme to free Jaime."

Varys stroked a powdered cheek. "This would doubtless involve the four men your man Bronn searched for so diligently in all the low places of King's Landing. A thief, a poisoner, a mummer, and a murderer."-Chapter 25 Tyrion

Tyrion plans to free Jaime and asks Varys to bring him a thief, a poisoner, a mummer and a murderer. He sends them along with many Lannister gaurds with Cleos Frey to Riverrun.  The exact plot only becomes clear in later.

"False envoys," Edmure declared. "They pledged me their peace and surrendered their weapons, so I allowed them freedom of the castle, and for three nights they ate my meat and drank my mead whilst I talked with Ser Cleos. On the fourth night, they tried to free the Kingslayer." He pointed up. "That big brute killed two guards with naught but those ham hands of his, caught them by the throats and smashed their skulls together while that skinny lad beside him was opening Lannister's cell with a bit of wire, gods curse him. The one on the end was some sort of damned mummer. He used my own voice to command that the River Gate be opened. The guardsmen swear to it, Enger and Delp and Long Lew, all three. If you ask me, the man sounded nothing like me, and yet the oafs were raising the portcullis all the same."- Chatpter 39 Catelyn

So the murderer killed the guards, the thief opened the cell and the mummer imitated Edmure's voice. But what did the poisoner do? Am I missing some thing or is it never explained? Does anyone have any theorys?

Earlier, in the very same chapter were Varys asked Tyrion about the four men he hired (ACOK 25-Tyrion), Tyrion has poisoned Cersei in order to prevent her from interfering to the session of the Closed Council.

His back was to her as he filled two cups with sweet Arbor red. It was the easiest thing in the world to sprinkle a pinch of fine powder into hers. “To Stannis!” he said as he handed her the wine. Harmless when I’m alone, am I?

“To Renly!” she replied, laughing. “May they battle long and hard, and the Others take them both!”

Is this the Cersei that Jaime sees? When she smiled, you saw how beautiful she was, truly. I loved a maid as fair as summer, with sunlight in her hair. He almost felt sorry for poisoning her.

So, the thief, the mummer and the murmurer were part of his plan to free Jaime, but the poisoner was for his sister. :)

But however there is this paragraph in  Chapter 17-Tyrion A Clash Of Kings where tyrion is in Grand Maester Pycelle chambers to tell him to dispatch a letter to Doran Martell.

"The maester's medicines made an impressive display; dozens of pots sealed with wax, hundreds of stoppered vials, as many milkglass bottles, countless jars of dried herbs, each container neatly labeled in Pycelle's precise hand. An orderly mind, Tyrion reflected, and indeed, once you puzzled out the arrangement, it was easy to see that every potion had its place. And such interesting things. He noted sweetsleep and nightshade, milk of the poppy, the tears of Lys, powdered greycap, wolfsbane and demon's dance, basilisk venom, blindeye, widow's blood . . .

Standing on his toes and straining upward, he managed to pull a small dusty bottle off the high shelf. When he read the label, he smiled and slipped it up his sleeve."

I thought that what tyrion took was the poison meant for Cersei, in which case he would have no need for a poisoner 

On 8/13/2019 at 9:52 AM, EccentricHorse11 said:

But however there is this paragraph in  Chapter 17-Tyrion A Clash Of Kings where tyrion is in Grand Maester Pycelle chambers to tell him to dispatch a letter to Doran Martell.

"The maester's medicines made an impressive display; dozens of pots sealed with wax, hundreds of stoppered vials, as many milkglass bottles, countless jars of dried herbs, each container neatly labeled in Pycelle's precise hand. An orderly mind, Tyrion reflected, and indeed, once you puzzled out the arrangement, it was easy to see that every potion had its place. And such interesting things. He noted sweetsleep and nightshade, milk of the poppy, the tears of Lys, powdered greycap, wolfsbane and demon's dance, basilisk venom, blindeye, widow's blood . . .

Standing on his toes and straining upward, he managed to pull a small dusty bottle off the high shelf. When he read the label, he smiled and slipped it up his sleeve."

I thought that what tyrion took was the poison meant for Cersei, in which case he would have no need for a poisoner 

Maybe the poisoner provided information on what to give Cersei and how much.  

32 minutes ago, EccentricHorse11 said:

Only problem is that Tyrion took the potion from Pycelle before Varys brought the poisoner.

Tyrion took the potion in chapter 17 whereas the poisoner is mentioned in chapter 25

Ahh good point.

Archived