Best Sitcom Episodes Ever

SkynJay

Didn't know animated shows count as SitCom.

In that case I think a couple of South Park eps would be on my list.

With Apologies to Jessie Jackson

Krazy Kripples with Christopher Reeve and his embryo drinking habit.

Up the Down Steroid. With Cartman's participation in the special olympics. "But mum, you always told me I was special."

"What the kid's condition?"

"Sweetie what's your condition?"

"How the fuck should I know, I am retarded."

21 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

This might be low key my favorite Simpsons episode. Top 5 definitely. Always forget about it. And it's season 8 so think in retrospect I was too harsh on that season. The show was still capable of some awesome highs (it just started also having some lows mixed in for the first time).

I would say that the first really questionable episodes first started appearing in season 7, although there were only a few.  Season 8 is about 50/50, and by season 9, there's only a couple of really first rate episodes (The Cartridge Family and the Joy of Sect). 

26 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

And it's season 8 so think in retrospect I was too harsh on that season.

Season eight is stacked dude. I’m going through the episode list and I’ve found so many classics, including one that’s in the conversation for best episode ever: You Only Move Twice. The Halloween episode is strong, it’s got the Sideshow Bob dam episode, homer turns into a pro boxer episode, the burlesque episode, Lisa babysits Bart, etc. Season eight was still part of the core peak of the show.

I've got no idea what season most of the great Simpsons episodes are in so I had a look (any season that had Hank Scorpio in it was definitely a good one). Wow, I can't believe they're up to 30 seasons and it's been so long since it's been good. There are so many good Simpsons episodes and they've been making so long that there so, so many more bad ones. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Season eight is stacked dude. I’m going through the episode list and I’ve found so many classics, including one that’s in the conversation for best episode ever: You Only Move Twice. The Halloween episode is strong, it’s got the Sideshow Bob dam episode, homer turns into a pro boxer episode, the burlesque episode, Lisa babysits Bart, etc. Season eight was still part of the core peak of the show.

Yes, You Only Move Twice is another top 5 favorite. I have like 12 top 5 favorites. Also forgot Homer vs. the 18th amendment which is fantastic. Season 8 was still very much golden age Simpsons. 

Anyway I misremembered my own post. I'd said the decline noticeably started in season 9, not season 8, starting with The Principal and the Pauper which I still stand by.  Agree with Maith that the Joy of Sect is fantastic. But that's the first season they weren't throwing 99 week in and week out and you could start seeing more and more signs of the hacky laziness creeping in that defined the following 20 seasons. 

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Has anybody mentioned the Friends episode where Rachel and Monica murder that homeless guy and Joey ends up in Deathrow?

This is presumably a reference to something but i am drawing a blank

15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This is presumably a reference to something but i am drawing a blank

Nah, just me being random, while also making my dislike for that show known. Can't a guy just dream of this big Hollywood writer career by pitching an idea for the best Friends episode never made? :dunno:

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Yes, You Only Move Twice is another top 5 favorite. I have like 12 top 5 favorites. Also forgot Homer vs. the 18th amendment which is fantastic. Season 8 was still very much golden age Simpsons. 

Anyway I misremembered my own post. I'd said the decline noticeably started in season 9, not season 8, starting with The Principal and the Pauper which I still stand by.  Agree with Maith that the Joy of Sect is fantastic. But that's the first season they weren't throwing 99 week in and week out and you could start seeing more and more signs of the hacky laziness creeping in that defined the following 20 seasons. 

Same, and much like how I rank Tarantino's movies, it changes daily.

As to the decline, I look more at season 11 than 9. Seasons 9 and 10 are a step down, but you can't keep matching perfection forever. However, there are still a number of quality episodes, and the down ones weren't that bad, especially by the later seasons' standards. 11 though was a notable drop off. I checked a few different ranking lists, and it was often cited in the high teens to low 20's, with season 12 doing even worse (and not surprisingly 16-30 is like 90% of those seasons). Season 11 is where they got lazy, and while they still produced quality episodes from time to time, that clearly as become the outlier and not the norm.

Funnily enough, season 11 is when they predicted that Trump would become president and bankrupt the country. We're about to run a trillion dollar deficit again with a recession looming around the corner. Yay?  

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nah, just me being random, while also making my dislike for that show known. Can't a guy just dream of this big Hollywood writer career by pitching an idea for the best Friends episode never made? :dunno:

Think bigger. My favorite radio show/podcast pitched the idea of a Friends slasher horror film.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Heh.  Well, what it made me think of is The One with the Yeti, where Rachel and Monica do indeed attack/fog some dude they think is homeless, and then Rachel ends up dating him for a few episodes until she finds out he has a physically inappropriate relationship with his sister.  I mean, it's kinda close.

Seinfeld - The Kenny Rogers Chicken episode is delightful on all fronts.  Kramer acting like Jerry, Jerry acting like Kramer, "Co....STANza", "Are you an Assassin Elaine?" the simple way Kramer eats chicken while bouncing.  Newman trying to eat Broccoli.

The League - Rafi and Dirty Randy is legitimately the funniest thing created by humans ever.

20 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Seinfeld - The Kenny Rogers Chicken episode is delightful on all fronts.  Kramer acting like Jerry, Jerry acting like Kramer, "Co....STANza", "Are you an Assassin Elaine?" the simple way Kramer eats chicken while bouncing.  Newman trying to eat Broccoli.

I forget what else happens in the episode, but the one soon after featuring Peterman's return features one of my favourites among his memorable lines: 

"Kudos, Elaine, on a job... done."

"What about my stock options?"

"I think not."

I just remembered, there was this show called Cougar Town by the same guy that created Scrubs and a lot of the same actors are in it playing different characters, except for the lawyer Ted, he was Ted in Cougar Town too for a couple episodes.

It was a mediocre sitcom at best, except for some a couple particular moments when the show got seriously meta and turned in some of my favorite sitcom moments of all time:

The other time was there was an episode of Community...The "My Dinner with Abed" one, where Abed tells Jeff about his visit to the set of Cougar Town and he got to be a back ground extra. They actually had an episode with Danny Pudi as Abed as a background extra...

On 8/24/2019 at 7:09 PM, Astromech said:

The Friends of the Road episode from Trailer Park Boys. Any episode that features a lot of Ray is hilarious.

Hahaha. Just thinking about this episode made me laugh. 

14 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I just remembered, there was this show called Cougar Town by the same guy that created Scrubs and a lot of the same actors are in it playing different characters, except for the lawyer Ted, he was Ted in Cougar Town too for a couple episodes.

It was a mediocre sitcom at best, except for some a couple particular moments when the show got seriously meta and turned in some of my favorite sitcom moments of all time:

So awesome.  I never knew they brought Ted onto that show.  

Archived