College Football 2019: Rise and Fall of the Transfer Portal QBs

Rhom

Hokies beat the Tarheels in 6 OTs.  And I decided to not go to the game this week.  GRRR.  Anyway, I was very confused while watching on my phone with my family at a restaurant.  At the start of the 5th OT, I went to the bathroom, with my Hokies about to get the ball.  I come back, and UNC is going for a "2 point conversion"...even though the score was still the same as when I left the table 3 or 4 minutes previously.  I had no idea what happened....why did UNC have the ball when VT was supposed to have it, and why were they going for a conversion when they had obviously not scored a TD. 

I had no idea about the new OT rules.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:38 AM, Triskele said:

I love this LSU team and want them to take out Bama and then Clemson so badly.  

You and me both, if for no other reason so that Coach O can win a natty, thus proving that we currently exist in the unlikeliest of timelines. 

• 2 weeks later...

Profiting from likenesses will destroy college athletics.

What happens when Phil Knight decides that every Oregon player on the 2-deep chart is worth a $100K roster bonus "endorsement deal"?  He'll pay the $5M every year without hesitation or regret with zero regard for their actual value to Nike.

This will create a couple dozen or so "have" teans and a bunch filled with actual college students who will take their lives in to their hands every time they play.  Competitive balance, bad as it is, will get a lot worse.  Emerging players for non-paying schools will demand transfers.

Even worse, what happens when it happens in Women's Volleyball or Women's Basketball.  A couple of well-heeled alums who are willing to buy championships will be unstoppable.

And ultimately, at least at Cal, I am 100% certain that faculty academic committees will seriously question what the justification is for the school to maintain a professional football team, especially since the pockets aren't deep enough to actually compete at top dollar values.  At this point, we don't really have an angel investor alum like some other schools.

On the micro level, I get it.  Hot shot wide receiver has a huge game on Saturday.  On Monday, he's at the local sports bar signing autographs for whatever people are willing to pay.   That's pretty simple.

I do wonder about national endorsement deals like the EA Sports Franchise that I'm dying to see start up again.  Will it need to be collectively bargained?  Are you going to pay Trevor Lawrence the same as the back up kicker for Kansas?  If not, are they somehow negotiating individual contracts with nearly 10,000 D1 football players?

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Profiting from likenesses will destroy college athletics.

What happens when Phil Knight decides that every Oregon player on the 2-deep chart is worth a $100K roster bonus "endorsement deal"?  He'll pay the $5M every year without hesitation or regret with zero regard for their actual value to Nike.

This will create a couple dozen or so "have" teans and a bunch filled with actual college students who will take their lives in to their hands every time they play.  Competitive balance, bad as it is, will get a lot worse.  Emerging players for non-paying schools will demand transfers.

Even worse, what happens when it happens in Women's Volleyball or Women's Basketball.  A couple of well-heeled alums who are willing to buy championships will be unstoppable.

And ultimately, at least at Cal, I am 100% certain that faculty academic committees will seriously question what the justification is for the school to maintain a professional football team, especially since the pockets aren't deep enough to actually compete at top dollar values.  At this point, we don't really have an angel investor alum like some other schools.

Is this serious or satire? 

3 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Unlike now, where we have had literally the same 6 teams in the playoffs all of the last 5 years. You're right, that sounds hideous

*coughUCONNcough*

GOOD

15 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

100% serious.  And I stand behind it 100%. This will kill the game at every level but the top 25 (who won't have anyone to play outside of each other).  And risk killing every minor sport.

Everything you mentioned above has largely been discredited. They’re just empty narratives meant to scare people. This has been a common pattern in college sports for decades. End the shamateurism, end the economic racism, end the economic sexism and pay the f***ing players.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Everything you mentioned above has largely been discredited. They’re just empty narratives meant to scare people. This has been a common pattern in college sports for decades. End the shamateurism, end the economic racism, end the economic sexism and pay the f***ing players.

Why the f*** should a college have a pro football team?

And if it does have a pro football team, why the f*** should it not be subject to all of the rights and restrictions associated with other professions.  Age discrimination laws, wrongful termination - etc.

You can NOT believe even for a second this will not exacerbate, and badly, the gap between the haves and the have nots. 

10 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

And if it does have a pro football team, why the f*** should it not be subject to all of the rights and restrictions associated with other professions.  Age discrimination laws, wrongful termination - etc.

You can NOT believe even for a second this will not exacerbate, and badly, the gap between the haves and the have nots. 

Why can a music major on scholarship go out and teach lessons or even play for a community orchestra while the point guard on the basketball team can't hold clinics?

38 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Colleges have (i) had pro teams for generations and (ii) should be held to higher standards. The players generate the revenue. They should in turn have access to their own revenue streams. Also, if the rich are really going to get richer, how do you account for the Ivys? They could easily field better teams than state schools if they wanted under these new rules. It’s quite possible that a lot of little brothers are about to grow up.

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Why can a music major on scholarship go out and teach lessons or even play for a community orchestra while the point guard on the basketball team can't hold clinics?

This. Moreover, female athletes who have next to no chance of making money off of their sport just found a financial boon. Furthermore, there are studies that indicate female basketball players can actually make more money in college than in the pros.

Taggart gone!! Rejoice! Thank you to the rich assholes that donated $20 million to buy his contract out. Imagine writing like a $100K check to something like this? What an insane fucking world.

He reminded me of Kevin Ollie. Always weirdly optimistic and saying the right thing but couldn’t, you know, coach.

There was a Miami fan they showed a few times yesterday during the game wearing a “Keep Willie Taggart” shirt. 

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

One article I was reading on the USC vacancy said it won't be Urban Myer because USC is feeling so scandal-ridden as a whole school right now.  If that's true is there any way FSU gets Urban?  That would be terrifying.

Nice, I hadn’t heard that. I thought USC was the frontrunner. Getting Meyer is obviously the dream scenario right now.

Kentucky fans worst case scenario here is that UK wins enough games to keep Mark Stoops (former FSU d coordinator) in the conversation for second tier of FSU candidates.

Archived