College Football 2019: Rise and Fall of the Transfer Portal QBs

Rhom

Had a guys road trip this weekend, went to the Michigan Maryland game in Maryland. Nice drive, spent a few hours in DC Friday checking out the monuments, got to see Marine One take off, which explained all the roads blocked leading to the front of the White House and the SS stationed at each entrance w assault rifles. Tailgated before the game, just as many Michigan fans there as Maryland. Nice stadium, good atmosphere and they actually sell beer??? Michigan and Michigan State stadiums don't sell any alcohol so this was a pleasant surprise. Had some damn good fried chicken at a local chain, Pollo Campero(?). Not sure if it was that we were all starved or not but man that was good!

33 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^I know Minnesota could be this year's UCF, possibly winning out and be on the outside looking in at the FBS playoffs.

If they won out I think they would have to be in the play off since that would mean they were undefeated and had wins over ranked Iowa and Wisconsin together with #4 PSU and #1 OSU.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

If they won out I think they would have to be in the play off since that would mean they were undefeated and had wins over ranked Iowa and Wisconsin together with #4 PSU and #1 OSU.

Possibly, but what if OSU were to stumble in the B10 playoffs and Minnesota beats a lower ranked team in the B10 championship? Under that scenario I could see the GGophers getting snubbed from the FBS playoffs, at least theoretically.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Possibly, but what if OSU were to stumble in the B10 playoffs and Minnesota beats a lower ranked team in the B10 championship? Under that scenario I could see the GGophers getting snubbed from the FBS playoffs, at least theoretically.

I thought it was just a Big 10 championship game, not a playoff. With PSU and Michigan at 2 losses each, OSU would have to lose its last two games (to those teams) to miss the championship game. 

4 hours ago, unJon said:

I thought it was just a Big 10 championship game, not a playoff. With PSU and Michigan at 2 losses each, OSU would have to lose its last two games (to those teams) to miss the championship game. 

Okay. I guess your right it's a different format than the basketball championship which is tournament style for B10 championship.

So you guys think that Minnesota would be in if by some fluke they were able to take down the Buckeyes, it's a tall order but it would be such a wonderful, dramatic development to see such a dark horse team get that far.

A Minnesota team that is undefeated would have also beaten penn state, Ohio state and Wisconsin. Any power 5 undefeated team is going to make it in. FSU showed that despite not being very good in 2014.

While it’s hard to picture Minnesota in there, given the qualifiers that they would have the wins mentioned I think they’ll get in.

You’ll have Clemson, the SEC champ, and Minnesota in that situation.  Where things get interesting is what happens with the fourth spot.

A one loss Alabama?  One loss Ohio State? If Georgia were to beat LSU, you’d likely get UGA and the Tigers in.  I don’t see a path for a BigXII this year and it might take a few things going just right to get Oregon in.

These next few weeks will clarify much.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

PJ Fleck has to be a huge name in these coaching vacancies now, neh?  I mean, I feel like he was before he took the Gophers job, so for sure now.

Golden Gophers is such a great college, marmot mascot.  

He just signed an extension this week, 2026 I think?

On 11/11/2019 at 12:06 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

In another case of an amazing college athlete that was destroyed by putting on a Lions uniform. Former MSU All American and 2nd overall pick Charles Rogers dead at 38.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-lions-wr-charles-rogers-second-pick-of-2003-draft-died-at-age-38-140310357.html

In fairness he had drug reported issues going back to high school. 

Archived