College Football 2019: Rise and Fall of the Transfer Portal QBs

Rhom

Been a minute since there's been a post here...

I have no clue what to expect from football now.  The Big Ten is only doing a conference slate, and reports are the ACC and Pac 12 are soon to follow.  I was fairly confident that the money aspect of the college football equation would win out, but I'm really questioning if we will have anything at all now.

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I have no clue what to expect from football now.  The Big Ten is only doing a conference slate, and reports are the ACC and Pac 12 are soon to follow.  I was fairly confident that the money aspect of the college football equation would win out, but I'm really questioning if we will have anything at all now.

All US sports are on a precipice.  It is increasingly difficult to see how that the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL/NCAAF can complete a 2020 season.  I imagine that each of them will play a few games thinking they can stick it out, but it quickly collapses once each league gets its first mega outbreak.  NCAAF is probably the hardest to fathom, since those players aren't even paid.  If any college team plays more than 2 games this year, I'll be shocked. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

All US sports are on a precipice.  It is increasingly difficult to see how that the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL/NCAAF can complete a 2020 season.  I imagine that each of them will play a few games thinking they can stick it out, but it quickly collapses once each league gets its first mega outbreak.  NCAAF is probably the hardest to fathom, since those players aren't even paid.  If any college team plays more than 2 games this year, I'll be shocked. 

If it's not safe for kids to be on campus and in the classrooms, how is it safe to play football?!?!?!?

The pro leagues may have a chance though. 

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This feels like the initial NCAA announcement that March Madness would be played without fans; which of course was quickly followed up by it being cancelled entirely.

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The NHL might be alright if their current restart plan of playing all the games in Canada works out. I don't know if the players would be up for living in Canada for an entire season though.

NBA could work if there was a true bubble; not this nonsense they're trying in Disney World right now where all the staff will come and go each day. Sure it'd be expensive to pay enough for workers to be willing to be isolated in the bubble too. But there's so much money at stake that they could easily afford it if they weren't so greedy.

I don't see how NFL/MLB/NCAAF could happen at all though. There's just too many people involved to make a bubble.

Maybe we'll all get super into golf and track and field sports (need to have the athletes compete separately though).

Look, if we can't force kids to go do unhealthy activities while not getting actual money or payment or anything, and they cannot even go to the school that they're supposedly getting credit for, what good is America? America is all about exploiting kids for our entertainment! That's what America's Funniest Home Videos taught me!

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Maybe we'll all get super into golf and track and field sports (need to have the athletes compete separately though).

Gotta go esports baby.  Those guys are awesome.  Here is the best player in the world standing next to a smaller than average Korean woman.  Truly what athletics are all about. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting and depressing to see the headline on ESPN about how fucked Wisconsin is if they don't have a football season. Logically many schools are in the same, if not worse, situation. College athletics in general is probably going to be incredibly bleak over the next few years.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting and depressing to see the headline on ESPN about how fucked Wisconsin is if they don't have a football season. Logically many schools are in the same, if not worse, situation. College athletics in general is probably going to be incredibly bleak over the next few years.

If there’s no football for a season, going forward most colleges will be left with football, men’s/women’s basketball, and a handful of women’s teams to make up the Title IX gap.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

If there’s no football for a season, going forward most colleges will be left with football, men’s/women’s basketball, and a handful of women’s teams to make up the Title IX gap.

Men's and women's hockey would survive, and I suspect track and field would too, as well as gymnastics. But yeah, I don't think the water polo team has much of a chance, and only the bigger programs will stay afloat. I wonder how this will impact JuCo programs. Will there be any left, and if not, how much elite potential will be lost?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Men's and women's hockey would survive, and I suspect track and field would too, as well as gymnastics. But yeah, I don't think the water polo team has much of a chance, and only the bigger programs will stay afloat. I wonder how this will impact JuCo programs. Will there be any left, and if not, how much elite potential will be lost?

Men's and Women's hockey????

Your northern midwest privilege is showing.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And as I think more about it after my initial zinger... I don't know how you think track and field or gymnastics have much of a chance either.  Those sports don't make any money for the school and they have large teams that eat up scholarship dollars.  The cost to maintain a track and field program isn't cheap.  Travel to meets and such for a team that size adds up.  Volleyball.  Baseball.  Soccer.  All sports that bleed money and need a profitable football team to survive at most schools.  

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Men's and Women's hockey????

Your northern midwest privilege is showing.  :lol:

Oddly hockey is like the one major sport I don't care about at all, and I come from the state of hockey. Like as I think about it, every other major sporting event matters more to me than hockey. 

But hockey will hold on because a lot of the D1 programs are in areas that can and will prop it up. UMN's hockey teams matter more than the football team, even if we did dump all that money into that stadium (season ticket holder every year, btw. I was there the day that pre-game magazines got banned).

52 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And as I think more about it after my initial zinger... I don't know how you think track and field or gymnastics have much of a chance either.  Those sports don't make any money for the school and they have large teams that eat up scholarship dollars.  The cost to maintain a track and field program isn't cheap.  Travel to meets and such for a team that size adds up.  Volleyball.  Baseball.  Soccer.  All sports that bleed money and need a profitable football team to survive at most schools.  

The high end Olympic sports will get propped up at the D-1 programs, and there are ways to cut costs, especially with gymnastics and track and field. You could just do it all remotely, though I have no idea how the gate impacts the non-top tier sports. Sports that require opposing teams to physically play each other will suffer, but individual sports where scores are then compared can make it out "okay" from this, assuming only 12-18 months are lost from the pandemic. 

SEC goes to conference only 10 games.  For those who don't chant S-E-C!!! S-E-C!!! at every game they attend; the normal schedule breaks down like this.  You play all the teams in your division every year.  You have one permanent cross division opponent.  You play one other team from the other division on a rotating basis.  So this year, Kentucky has the SEC East, Mississippi State (permanent foe), and a trip to Auburn.  We last played Auburn in Lexington about seven years ago.

The original speculation from every source I saw was that the SEC moving to 10 games would take the 8 on your schedule for this year and just add your next two cross division opponents.  For Kentucky, that would have meant at LSU and home to Ole Miss.  Instead, news comes today that they are going to do something complicated with Strength of Schedule.

Speculation is that Alabama nixed the original plan.  Who were they slated to play?  I'm glad you asked... Bama gets Tennessee every year.  If they add their next two opponents, they'd be getting Georgia and Florida added to this season's schedule.  :rolleyes: 

I have zero vibes that the season will be played. The idiots are not making smart decisions. Why the hell are any schools allowing spring/summer practices? Keep them all away until like two weeks before the season is to begin. Gives them time to monitor the situation before putting kids in harms way. Have to protect the kids from themselves. 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I have zero vibes that the season will be played. 

They may try to play a season, but I highly doubt it finishes. There's just no way to justify it other than greed. Students can't go to class. The fuck are we playing sports over?

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

I have zero vibes that the season will be played. The idiots are not making smart decisions. Why the hell are any schools allowing spring/summer practices? Keep them all away until like two weeks before the season is to begin. Gives them time to monitor the situation before putting kids in harms way. Have to protect the kids from themselves. 

To this, I would point out that the entire UK football team tested negative.

Ditto to the basketball team.  The basketball team is breaking camp now to head home for two weeks to see family before returning presumably not to leave again until they hoist the championship trophy in early April!

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Students can't go to class. The fuck are we playing sports over?

UK is testing every student on arrival to campus.  I’m actually pretty excited about it.  Will be the closest thing we have to a truly large random sampling.  30,000 young adults (who have likely been engaging in risky activities) with no reason to have been tested.  To this point, the vast majority of tests have been administered to people either with symptoms or reason to believe they’ve been exposed.  This will give us a much clearer picture of the general population.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:40 PM, Rhom said:

To this, I would point out that the entire UK football team tested negative.

Ditto to the basketball team.  The basketball team is breaking camp now to head home for two weeks to see family before returning presumably not to leave again until they hoist the championship trophy in early April!

To this I would say so did the Marlins, until they didn't. 

That's probably a snippy sounding reply and it is not meant to be, just not sure on a better way to word it.

UConn Huskies pulling the plug first-

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f2ab0d6c5b6e96a22ac2557

UConn citing "Unacceptable Risk to our Student Athletes!" and will not be playing football for the 2020 season.

I may have to pony up for some U Conn gear/jerseys this year because they just became my heroes for the season, excellent profile in courage imo.

This was inevitable:

Commissioners of the Power 5 conferences held an emergency meeting on Sunday, as there is growing concern among college athletics officials that the upcoming football season and other fall sports can't be played because of the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

Several sources have indicated to ESPN that Big Ten presidents, following a meeting on Saturday, are ready to pull the plug on its fall sports season, and they wanted to gauge if commissioners and university presidents and chancellors from the other Power 5 conferences -- the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC -- will fall in line with them.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29629669/power-5-talking-no-fall-football

The big boys can survive this, but this only increase the likelihood that many second tier and smaller universities may close over the pandemic.

Archived