College Football 2019: Rise and Fall of the Transfer Portal QBs

Rhom

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I am all for games being played in empty stadiums (see Europe's soccer leagues as an example) but the question is will the NCAA and the conferences accept such a scenario? Will the public accept it?

I need to do some research, but I'm guessing in various a lot by which teams make their money off of the gate verses T.V. rights. On the latter, I heard a good point today that the NFL is probably drooling for the entire season to be canceled, because they have no shame in taking those media spots. They could air almost every game across four networks.

I was really shocked to hear Wisconsin, as an example, foot makes up $100m of their $140m annul athletic department's budget. This is going to hurt a lot, and it will trickle down because a lot of the non-power five teams depend on those cupcake game checks. 

(Also, as a side note, European soccer is probably a bad comparison. Those people are pros, so they are getting something valuable for the risks they're taking. And their countries have handled this pandemic better. At the end of the day it's really hard to justify college athletics when we can even be sure if the student body as a whole can return to campus)

On 8/5/2020 at 11:44 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

UConn Huskies pulling the plug first-

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f2ab0d6c5b6e96a22ac2557

UConn citing "Unacceptable Risk to our Student Athletes!" and will not be playing football for the 2020 season.

I may have to pony up for some U Conn gear/jerseys this year because they just became my heroes for the season, excellent profile in courage imo.

Uconn football finally gaining fans after choosing not to play football. Seems about right.

This is concerning. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

Just saw an article on ESPN where Nebraska HC Frost said Nebraska is planning to play this season even exploring playing outside the B1G... made me lol, only chance they have at winning 10 games! They expected to dominate the Big when joining and haven't really ever gained any ground.

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Just saw an article on ESPN where Nebraska HC Frost said Nebraska is planning to play this season even exploring playing outside the B1G... made me lol, only chance they have at winning 10 games! They expected to dominate the Big when joining and haven't really ever gained any ground.

And I'd tell any university that did that that they'd be suspended indefinitely from all athletic competitions within the conference. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I'd tell any university that did that that they'd be suspended indefinitely from all athletic competitions within the conference. 

Hell, that or kicked out entirely.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Hell, that or kicked out entirely.

I'm not sure you can go that far, and the legalities of everything would be a complete nightmare. It's sad though that people want to put the money before the safety of amateur college students. And it's so sad to see people try and make arguments that it's anything other than about the money. 

I read an article the other day that said the actual risk of COVID-19 from playing football is fairly slim.  It’s the wider concerns of contracting it while in the unregulated collegiate environment that makes it more difficult to keep under control.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I read an article the other day that said the actual risk of COVID-19 from playing football is fairly slim.  It’s the wider concerns of contracting it while in the unregulated collegiate environment that makes it more difficult to keep under control.

Link? It seems counterintuitive to say the chances of spreading are slim given there's so many people just on the field and the amount of contact makes the spread more likely. Now it does sound valid that the collegiate environment could be worse, but "playing football" is not just in between lines, and it would be easy to see the virus getting into teams respective training facilities. 

It really seems like a bad idea, but it's not surprising that some regions really don't want to give up their seasons because of the economic drivers they are.  

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Link? It seems counterintuitive to say the chances of spreading are slim given there's so many people just on the field and the amount of contact makes the spread more likely. Now it does sound valid that the collegiate environment could be worse, but "playing football" is not just in between lines, and it would be easy to see the virus getting into teams respective training facilities. 

It really seems like a bad idea, but it's not surprising that some regions really don't want to give up their seasons because of the economic drivers they are.  

The actual game isn't horribly dangerous overall. It's outside, contact is fairly minimal as far as prolonged contact per minute. 

The problem is that it's very, very easy to spread it as part of being a football team. Shared locker areas that are inside, shared medical and training facilities, spending time with that team for hours and hours indoors. And then they're living together and partying together and...it's not great.

Basically, if you assume that being on campus is too dangerous, being a football player is significantly worse. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Not to mention huddles, where 11 guys put their faces all together and then they do it again and again with different combinations of people for three hours.  It's not great. 

Huddles don't happen quite so often, and again, they aren't sustained and they're in the open. It's not great, but it's not like singing in a choir for hours.

25 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The actual game isn't horribly dangerous overall. It's outside, contact is fairly minimal as far as prolonged contact per minute. 

The problem is that it's very, very easy to spread it as part of being a football team. Shared locker areas that are inside, shared medical and training facilities, spending time with that team for hours and hours indoors. And then they're living together and partying together and...it's not great.

Basically, if you assume that being on campus is too dangerous, being a football player is significantly worse. 

That was the point I was trying to make. It has all the problems of the student body writ large plus all the various aspects of playing football, and I can only speak of my experience through HS, but the locker rooms are disgusting.

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Not to mention huddles, where 11 guys put their faces all together and then they do it again and again with different combinations of people for three hours.  It's not great. 

And then another set of 11 guys, who are not under your supervision, put their bodies on your guys'. 

Double and, the travel. The travel could be the biggest spreader of them all.

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Huddles don't happen quite so often, and again, they aren't sustained and they're in the open. It's not great, but it's not like singing in a choir for hours.

You can't social distance on the sidelines though. Point is you're always in very close proximity to several, maybe dozens and dozens of people, and ya know, if all men were angles.....

Cute language there, but a selfish me would like to see Minnesota play, even if I know it's a bad idea. 

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You can't social distance on the sidelines though. Point is you're always in very close proximity to several, maybe dozens and dozens of people, and ya know, if all men were angles.....

Cute language there, but a selfish me would like to see Minnesota play, even if I know it's a bad idea. 

Social distancing is actually pretty decent on sidelines, but the more important thing is that it's outside in non-stagnant air. I'm not saying it's no risk, but the actual game is significantly less risky than the locker rooms  or coaching rooms or treatment areas or weights. Heck, their cafeteria is more risk than the actual game. 

Archived