College Football 2019: Rise and Fall of the Transfer Portal QBs

Rhom

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Social distancing is actually pretty decent on sidelines, but the more important thing is that it's outside in non-stagnant air. I'm not saying it's no risk, but the actual game is significantly less risky than the locker rooms  or coaching rooms or treatment areas or weights. Heck, their cafeteria is more risk than the actual game. 

I strongly disagree. Players, coaches, support staff just to name a few probably get you to 100 people on each sideline, and that's before you consider the telecast staff and security, and I'm sure I'm missing some other things too. And then you just have to think of the human nature of it. Watch what happens when a big TD score happens. Literally dozens of players will be celebrating on the sidelines, and that will carry over the entire team. Football is the worst major sport to play given the pandemic, and they woefully under prepared for what has happened. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I strongly disagree. Players, coaches, support staff just to name a few probably get you to 100 people on each sideline, and that's before you consider the telecast staff and security, and I'm sure I'm missing some other things too. And then you just have to think of the human nature of it. Watch what happens when a big TD score happens. Literally dozens of players will be celebrating on the sidelines, and that will carry over the entire team. Football is the worst major sport to play given the pandemic, and they woefully under prepared for what has happened. 

Again, most of these activities are not particularly risky. The biggest risk is prolonged exposure to contagious people in confined areas. Having a LOT of people makes it more likely it'll spread, but it doesn't actually change the risk. 

To put it another way, the major spreading events were parties after Memorial Day, church services like weddings and funerals, indoor concerts and indoor working conditions. Outdoor conditions like beaches have not been particularly dangerous. 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Again, most of these activities are not particularly risky. The biggest risk is prolonged exposure to contagious people in confined areas. Having a LOT of people makes it more likely it'll spread, but it doesn't actually change the risk. 

To put it another way, the major spreading events were parties after Memorial Day, church services like weddings and funerals, indoor concerts and indoor working conditions. Outdoor conditions like beaches have not been particularly dangerous. 

So what's cracking in Sturgis right now isn't so bad?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

So what's cracking in Sturgis right now isn't so bad?

No, it's probably not so horribly bad. Well, kinda. 

The not so bad - outdoor concerts, lots of people gathering together. While that will likely spread some if someone's contagious, it won't become some crazy superspreader event.

The bad - there are a LOT of bars and clubs in Sturgis at this time, and a lot of drunk people, and that is VERY bad. That was a big source of the spread in places like Arizona and Florida and Texas, and I anticipate that'll be the spread in Sturgis too. 

Anyway, the real thing I think is  not the likelihood of catching it, but the consequences of it. While there aren't a lot of deaths from covid in that age group there is significantly more danger for those people of causing major cardiac or cardiovascular issues, thus ending their career. 

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

No, it's probably not so horribly bad. Well, kinda. 

(1) The not so bad - outdoor concerts, lots of people gathering together. While that will likely spread some if someone's contagious, it won't become some crazy superspreader event.

(2) The bad - there are a LOT of bars and clubs in Sturgis at this time, and a lot of drunk people, and that is VERY bad. That was a big source of the spread in places like Arizona and Florida and Texas, and I anticipate that'll be the spread in Sturgis too. 

1. But even in that kind of scenario, there's still a lot of indoor interactions.

2. Which leads to this. Let's just assume we give the teams a giant pass. Do they have an ethical responsibility to their fans to not play? Because gatherings at bars, watch parties, etc. will cause the virus to spread too, and we both know people aren't going to wear masks much of the time.

Just now, Kalbear said:

Anyway, the real thing I think is  not the likelihood of catching it, but the consequences of it. While there aren't a lot of deaths from covid in that age group there is significantly more danger for those people of causing major cardiac or cardiovascular issues, thus ending their career. 

Agreed, and on the flip side, do you really want to be the Coach, AD or President of the university if one of your student athletes dies because he or she caught the virus during team activities? 

Some sports you can make work. Football isn't one of them unless you are cool with risking young students' lives during a pandemic because the all might $$$ is what really matters. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed, and on the flip side, do you really want to be the Coach, AD or President of the university if one of your student athletes dies because he or she caught the virus during team activities? 

Some sports you can make work. Football isn't one of them unless you are cool with risking young students' lives during a pandemic because the all might $$$ is what really matters. 

Yeah, well, I kinda think we already know the answer to this for the most part.

30 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Yeah, well, I kinda think we already know the answer to this for the most part.

Just saying, even if you do your best to talk yourself into it, it's just the prelude to a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, the on field exposure is way worse than it's being stated here. The off and def lines are in each others faces (face to face) the entire game grunting and panting and sweating and spittle coming out. They then go back to their sideline and whatever they may have caught comes back with them.  

On a lighter note, oSu won't beat Michigan this year on the football field!!!!

On a personal note, I will be traveling to Sturgis next week and was not happy when I realized bike week was this week. We will be getting there two/three days after it is over but the townsfolk could be walking covid incubators, not to mention the towns on the major roads leading in and out will have a trail of covid slime left behind.... Definitely wearing a mask and likely only going to motorcycle HOF then on to Deadwood. 

Does anyone else find themselves giving zero fucks about football season this year? I haven't been able to follow as closely the last few years as I was in the past, but I still watched games and followed my team, rivals, and marquee teams. But this season has already been called, imo. The Big 12 (Tiny Ten) et. al. are just still in denial about it.

15 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Does anyone else find themselves giving zero fucks about football season this year? I haven't been able to follow as closely the last few years as I was in the past, but I still watched games and followed my team, rivals, and marquee teams. But this season has already been called, imo. The Big 12 (Tiny Ten) et. al. are just still in denial about it.

I watched Jaws last night as I was going to bed. It's interesting to read about each team and if it's pure greed that's making them play or if their communities actually really need the team to play to keep everything afloat. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watched Jaws last night as I was going to bed. It's interesting to read about each team and if it's pure greed that's making them play or if their communities actually really need the team to play to keep everything afloat. 

Even Trump knows there won't be any "rocketship" recovery without college sports this fall. All those "shithole" (as he'd call them) little towns that rely on their colleges, but more specifically on the sports-industrial complex, to prop up their shitty economies (that got that way because all their industry got outsourced) are going to get hammered this fall with no sports. Then it just goes up the chain, both at the local/regional level, and the national level (advertising dollars, etc.).

ESPN et. al. have ridiculous amounts of programming devoted to college sports. What's going to happen when there's nothing to talk about? People are going to turn in to more re-runs? Doubtful.

Idk about anyone else, but I don’t even get the same enjoyment out of watching classic games as I used to, because I know I'm having to watch re-runs.

ETA: Sorry about bringing politics in, but I'm pissed about no college sports.

ETA 2: The few times I've taken my kids to see the Cowboys play, between parking, concessions, maybe one piece of memorabilia each, dinner, etc., I usually dropped $300-500 in Stillwater, which only has about 20,000 people when school is out, and that doesn't include needing to stay in a hotel or dropping $100+ on a bar tab.

Stillwater has numerous hotels that stay open year-round only because of football season. Some people routinely travel all over the U.S. every week following their team. Those communities are going to be devastated, but there's nothing to be done about it.

• 2 weeks later...

So Nebraska has been pretty underwhelming on the gridiron these past couple of years but I got to say I'm extremely proud of the way we are sticking it to the B1G about the horrible, disgusting, idiotic decision to cancel fall sports. All the other coward schools say there while Nebraska to heat nationally for wanting to play but now it looks like we are finally getting some traction and football may be saved. Your welcome.

Edit: Dang, I haven't been on here for awhile and apparently I lost my old name. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived