College Football 2019: Rise and Fall of the Transfer Portal QBs

Rhom

And now Miss State has fired Joe Moorhead after two seasons... they are saying its a cultural thing, but I don't get it.  There has to be something behind the scenes that would lead to a program like State thinking they should fire a guy after two years making bowl games and winning against their in state rival.  :dunno: 

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And now Miss State has fired Joe Moorhead after two seasons... they are saying its a cultural thing, but I don't get it.  There has to be something behind the scenes that would lead to a program like State thinking they should fire a guy after two years making bowl games and winning against their in state rival.  :dunno: 

I'm also a little surprised they pulled the trigger on him this fast, but there were several factors in play.

It started last season when they came in with a very talented roster, including one of the top defenses in the nation (3 NFL 1st rounders), and only won 8 games. That was viewed as a major disappointment and got him off on the wrong foot with the fan base, the consensus being that Dan Mullen would've seriously contended for Atlanta with that roster. Then this year they took another step back, despite again being hyped preseason with the addition of a transfer QB that Moorhead had recruited to Penn St in his time there. Moorhead was a victim of his own hype; hailed as an offensive genius, yet his teams often looked quite pedestrian. A boring brand of football isn't going to win many favors with fans unless accompanied by a lot of wins. 

There were other issues this past year as well. A bunch of players (8 I believe, including several starters) were suspended for a large portion of the season due to some sort of academic fraud which all occurred on Moorhead's watch. And then there was a major fight during bowl practice where starting LB Willie Gay beat the snot out of freshman QB Garrett Shrader, breaking an eye socket and knocking him out of the bowl game, wherein they got stomped by a mediocre Louisville team. For most of their fans, that was the last straw. 

As for cultural fit, I can see how that was also an issue. Moorhead made a lot of smart remarks in the media about his "otherness" as a northerner marooned in Starkville (see what I did there), which probably did not endear himself to the fans or the administration. I've also heard that he didn't make much of an effort to connect with the fans and alumni in general. By contrast, Mullen (also a northerner by birth) dove right in and ingratiated himself with the fans and alumni right away, notably with the "school up north" rivalry shenanigans which State fans ate up. 

True, he did beat Ole Miss twice, but both were awful teams and this past year was a major struggle helped along by an Ole Miss WR being a massive dumbass at the most critical point in the game. 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:15 PM, Rhom said:

Seriously... so much to unpack there.

Lords of London?

”his majesty”??

On 1/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, Triskele said:

Huh, I had an old coach who played D1 at a high value but took out an insurance policy and then had a big injury.  So he got a really nice payout.  This was decades ago though and I always had heard it as "Lloyds of London" and now just wonder if someone started saying it that way and we all just repeated it.  Seems certain it's the same entity though. 

Lloyds of London sounds beyond grandiose and self-important already, but Lords of London?  

It is Lloyds of London. The very same Lloyds that insured Mary Hart's legs. 

https://www.psafinancial.com/2013/01/iconic-lloyds-of-london-insurance-policies/

On 1/3/2020 at 5:45 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Best season in my life time and probably the best in 50 years and second best record in the Big Ten.

All that glitters is gold!

B)

I was rooting for you guys the whole game, nice to see the Gophers on top.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

I was rooting for you guys the whole game, nice to see the Gophers on top.

As a Minnesota sports fan, I gotta say that's not something you hear too often. Most people just like to laugh at us for our repeated failures in big moments.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:58 PM, Triskele said:

Golden Gophers is a fairly glorious mascot.  It's both a marmot of sorts and then has the alliteration and the goofiness that makes it so college.  

I just love how goofy Goldie looks, and yeah, we have a lot of weird at the U, but I guess that's true at most places these days.

Big 10 was legit very good this year.  Wisconsin had Oregon by the balls, Penn State beat a really solid Memphis, your marmots beat Auburn, Michigan was competitive with Bama, Iowa played a nigh-flawless game against USC in San Diego, and tOSU barely lost to God and Jesus (where are you, Satan?).  

Even IU was 8-4!!!

I'm surprised we did this well. The conference has a whole usually isn't very good though. We're an academic conference, not an athletic one and have just been living off of the reputations of OSU and Michigan (and to a lesser extent Wisconsin, but we all know they only exist to lose in the end).

Mike Leach to Mississippi State is apparently happening. 

Kind of an odd choice for both. Leach seemingly had it made in the Palouse and had just been extended a couple of weeks ago, so now State will be forking out both Moorhead's buyout and his. He'll have a big challenge from the get-go, because I can't think of many rosters in college football that are worse-suited for his offensive system. I guess this gets him a bit closer to Key West, his home away from home.  :dunno:  No idea whether or not it's a good "fit" culturally, although if he insults Ole Miss enough he'll probably be fine in that regard.

To that point, I've always been very entertained by Leach so it'll be interesting to have someone like that on the opposing sideline. The Egg Bowl just (somehow) got even crazier. 

5 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Mike Leach to Mississippi State is apparently happening. 

Kind of an odd choice for both. Leach seemingly had it made in the Palouse and had just been extended a couple of weeks ago, so now State will be forking out both Moorhead's buyout and his. He'll have a big challenge from the get-go, because I can't think of many rosters in college football that are worse-suited for his offensive system. I guess this gets him a bit closer to Key West, his home away from home.  :dunno:  No idea whether or not it's a good "fit" culturally, although if he insults Ole Miss enough he'll probably be fine in that regard.

To that point, I've always been very entertained by Leach so it'll be interesting to have someone like that on the opposing sideline. The Egg Bowl just (somehow) got even crazier. 

SEC media day is gonna be fun to watch.

17 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

LSU in NOLA for the Championship game, kinda stinks for the concept of a neutral field.

Most traditional big bowl games are like this. A large amount are played in SEC country so any SEC team in them has a large crowd advantage.  Nice southern weather in the winter!

17 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

LSU in NOLA for the Championship game, kinda stinks for the concept of a neutral field.

29 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Most traditional big bowl games are like this. A large amount are played in SEC country so any SEC team in them has a large crowd advantage.  Nice southern weather in the winter!

Its like any big championship though.  The Super Bowl gets played in warm weather cities.  If a team can work it just right, they could play the game on their home field.  Ditto to the basketball Final Four (almost).

The game rotates bowl sites IIRC.  So when it is held at the Rose Bowl, if a PAC XII team could actually win an important game or two they would also get an advantage.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Its like any big championship though.  The Super Bowl gets played in warm weather cities.  If a team can work it just right, they could play the game on their home field.  Ditto to the basketball Final Four (almost).

The game rotates bowl sites IIRC.  So when it is held at the Rose Bowl, if a PAC XII team could actually win an important game or two they would also get an advantage.

Is it simply because it would be too cold at the games, or is it because you southerners can't drive worth a damn in bad weather? :P 

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Is it simply because it would be too cold at the games, or is it because you southerners can't drive worth a damn in bad weather? :P 

It's because people don't want to spend multiple thousands of dollars to sit outside in sub freezing weather.

Archived