College Football 2019: Rise and Fall of the Transfer Portal QBs

Rhom

Clemson starts at the 3, scores a touchdown 4 plays later.  LSU're gonna need to score a lot of points to win this game, because Clemson is gonna.  LSU is capable of it, but this Clemson defense is no joke either. 

I like the Tigers in this one. 

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

WTF do you east coast people do right now with work tomorrow and it's 11:30 and a quarter to go?  

I’ve been nodding off in my recliner off and on for the last hour or so! :lol: 

8 hours ago, Triskele said:

WTF do you east coast people do right now with work tomorrow and it's 11:30 and a quarter to go?  

We wonder the same thing about west coasters and the noon kickoffs! It's what 8am out there while we are already buzzed and watching our teams! Or the Monday night games when you guys are driving home from work and the game is already on. It all washes out in the end

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Trevor Lawrence 234 yds 0 TD

Joe Burrow 463 yds 5 TD

just sayin...

Plus a rushing one...

Lawrence may develop next year, like Burrow did, but cannot stress how excited I am about the Bengals having the #1 overall pick this year. He just looked heads and shoulders above Lawrence.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Plus a rushing one...

Lawrence may develop next year, like Burrow did, but cannot stress how excited I am about the Bengals having the #1 overall pick this year. He just looked heads and shoulders above Lawrence.

And Chase dropped an absolute perfect pass for a TD. He should have had 6! Against the best defense in college...

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

And Chase dropped an absolute perfect pass for a TD. He should have had 6! Against the best defense in college...

Yea man. It was impressive any way you cut it. He beat 7 top 10 teams this year and did it on the way to probably the most accurate and statically insane season in CFB for a QB! Just has all the right tools to succeed at the next level. Cannot believe his progress.

I too was really really impressed with Burrow in that game.  I criticized him previously for being a one season wonder, but IMO he looks significantly better than he did midseason vs Alabama and Auburn.  He looks like a taller Russell Wilson out there.  The inexplicable elusiveness, the ability to extend plays and make dbs cover for 5 or 6 or 7 seconds over and over, the astonishing accuracy of throws on the run, the ability to get better as the game goes on and defenses tire.  It's all there. 

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I too was really really impressed with Burrow in that game.  I criticized him previously for being a one season wonder, but IMO he looks significantly better than he did midseason vs Alabama and Auburn.  He looks like a taller Russell Wilson out there.  The inexplicable elusiveness, the ability to extend plays and make dbs cover for 5 or 6 or 7 seconds over and over, the astonishing accuracy of throws on the run, the ability to get better as the game goes on and defenses tire.  It's all there. 

All this plus from what you read about him, he's got the intangibles as well (confidence, work ethic, leadership, film junky, perfectionist, etc).

I was just looking at his game log cause I seem to remember him playing really well against Alabama (he did overall) and this was his last three games...

Against Georgia (#4), Oklahoma (#4), Clemson (#3): 88-126, 70% completion, 1,305 yards, 10.4 ypa, 18 TDs (16 passing, 2 rushing)

ETA: was just reading this Athletic article about the game and him...

Joe Burrow isn’t just smoking a cigar. No, he’s strutting with it, head cocked back, shoulders pronounced, smoke blowing into the air above him. He’s selling this. He wears a hat reading “Big Dick Joe.” He’s leaning into every aspect of his ever-growing legend, reclining back against a leather sofa with another puff of smoke and a subtle grin across his face.

The LSU quarterback, the Heisman Trophy winner, is the opposite story of Orgeron. He’s the outsider from Ohio. He’s a transfer who couldn’t win the job at Ohio State now joining a school that simply couldn’t develop an elite quarterback. Like Orgeron, though, he’s the one now puffing a cigar with the last laugh.

See, Burrow doesn’t get to be this guy often. That’s how he’s here in the first place. He’s compulsively competitive, a hyper-focused football obsessive known for death stares at his receivers and countless hours working on timing. He’s the most confident human in any room he enters. He just picks his spots when to display that.

Watch Burrow as he walks off the field during each drive Monday night. It’s nearly robotic how machine-like his reactions are both good and bad.

LSU punts for an unprecedented third-straight drive. Burrow goes to the bench, sips his water twice, puts on his headset.

Burrow throws a 52-yard touchdown pass to Ja’Marr Chase to break the seal. Burrow goes to the bench, sips his water twice, puts on his headset.

Burrow takes a massive hit to the ribs on a late first-half touchdown pass, knocking the wind out of him and forcing him to bend over as he exits the field. Burrow goes to the bench, sips his water twice, puts on his headset.

And despite Clemson throwing the kitchen sink at him, despite LSU’s worst start of the season and blitzes constantly confusing them up front, the magician adjusts. LSU was shocked to see Clemson play man coverage. So he slides in laser quick short passes. He dances around sacks and makes throws downfield. He takes off on designed third-and-long runs when nobody expects it.

Looks like another off the field mess is brewing for Penn St. as a former player has accused ex-teammates of hazing, allegedly with knowledge of the coaching staff including James Franklin. If the allegations here are true, Franklin needs to be gone. Some of the stuff described here is unquestionably sexual assault, and cannot be tolerated. Not to mention, this little tidbit: 

The participants allegedly referenced former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky -- who is serving a 30- to 60-year prison term for sexually abusing children -- by saying, "I am going to Sandusky you."

On 1/16/2020 at 8:41 AM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Looks like another off the field mess is brewing for Penn St. as a former player has accused ex-teammates of hazing, allegedly with knowledge of the coaching staff including James Franklin. If the allegations here are true, Franklin needs to be gone. Some of the stuff described here is unquestionably sexual assault, and cannot be tolerated. Not to mention, this little tidbit: 

Yeah, that just makes me very uncomfortable reading it.  I'm generally not a knee jerk reaction kind of guy, and if this happened at any other college in the country I'd probably say that a reprimand would be sufficient... but Penn State is not that place.  If anywhere needs to have a tight leash on this sort of thing, that's the spot.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived