Please ask GRRM this question about Longclaw if you meet him at Worldcon etc

Daendrew

My theory is that there was very lucky IB raider X who gained that sword by killing its previous holder. But one of descendants of X tried to raid Bear Island and died and so killer of that unlucky raider gained nice sword. Or Mormonts paid the Iron Price instead of gold.

Before the Doom, Valyrian steel swords were probably easier to get. Maybe some Mormont ancestor paid the gold price ... although Bolt's theory makes for a more interesting story.  :^)

There are several poor/destitute houses with Valyrian steel swords.It is mentioned that Tywin had offered vast amounts of money to purchase one but they refused.So it's honestly not surprising that the Mormont's had one

Also the Mormont's aren't exactly poor they just live a frugal lifestyle same as everyone else in the North.

"perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone. It had always irked his father that none belonged to House Lannister."

36 minutes ago, TheThreeEyedCow said:

They've had it for a fairly long time, 500 years or there abouts. So they could of bought it or won it stole it or been awarded it. Pick one. It doesn't really impact the story.

He only answers questions that don't impact the story.

15 hours ago, A Bastard Snow said:

Why would anyone bother asking him that question?There are freaking Velociraptors in the Sealords menagerie that's honestly way more interesting than however House Mormont got Longclaw.

Ah, Dinosaurs. That little Dungeons and Dragons chestnut.

The more George reveals how fantastical the world is the harder it is for me to take seriously people’s disbelief of the Others.

9 hours ago, Tyrion1991 said:

The more George reveals how fantastical the world is the harder it is for me to take seriously people’s disbelief of the Others.

Yeah when Syrio mentioned casually some of the animals the Sealord has I was...hold up...is that does the Sealord have freaking Velociraptors?Then again GoT came out around the same time as Jurassic Park iirc so I guess GRRM was a fan

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:43 AM, Tyrion1991 said:

Wait? There is? How on so many rereads have I missed this. Anyone have the description or quote? I'm curious.

36 minutes ago, fire&blood said:

Wait? There is? How on so many rereads have I missed this. Anyone have the description or quote? I'm curious.

He tells Arya about the dino type creatures when he tells her the story about the yellow cat.

"Hear me. The ships of Braavos sail as far as the winds blow, to lands strange and wonderful, and when they return their captains fetch queer animals to the Sealord's menagerie. Such animals as you have never seen, striped horses, great spotted things with necks as long as stilts, hairy mouse-pigs as big as cows, stinging manticores, tigers that carry their cubs in a pouch, terrible walking lizards with scythes for claws. Syrio Forel has seen these things." (Arya IV, AGoT 50) 

On 8/15/2019 at 6:43 AM, Tyrion1991 said:

I suppose Velociraptors are less fantastical on Planetos simply because they've always been there. Whereas perhaps some of the animals on our earth would be regarded as fantastical to them.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:00 PM, A Bastard Snow said:

Why would anyone bother asking him that question?There are freaking Velociraptors in the Sealords menagerie that's honestly way more interesting than however House Mormont got Longclaw.

Well, except the universe we are discussing has dragons in it, so dinosaurs being alive isnt all that special.

Archived