Jump to content
Daendrew

Please ask GRRM this question about Longclaw if you meet him at Worldcon etc

Recommended Posts

How did the Mormont's, one of the poorest and most remote houses, get a Valyrian steel sword?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory is that there was very lucky IB raider X who gained that sword by killing its previous holder. But one of descendants of X tried to raid Bear Island and died and so killer of that unlucky raider gained nice sword. Or Mormonts paid the Iron Price instead of gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the Doom, Valyrian steel swords were probably easier to get. Maybe some Mormont ancestor paid the gold price ... although Bolt's theory makes for a more interesting story.  :^)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are several poor/destitute houses with Valyrian steel swords.It is mentioned that Tywin had offered vast amounts of money to purchase one but they refused.So it's honestly not surprising that the Mormont's had one

Also the Mormont's aren't exactly poor they just live a frugal lifestyle same as everyone else in the North.

"perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone. It had always irked his father that none belonged to House Lannister."

 

 

Edited by A Bastard Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've had it for a fairly long time, 500 years or there abouts. So they could of bought it or won it stole it or been awarded it. Pick one. It doesn't really impact the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TheThreeEyedCow said:

They've had it for a fairly long time, 500 years or there abouts. So they could of bought it or won it stole it or been awarded it. Pick one. It doesn't really impact the story.

He only answers questions that don't impact the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone bother asking him that question?There are freaking Velociraptors in the Sealords menagerie that's honestly way more interesting than however House Mormont got Longclaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, A Bastard Snow said:

Why would anyone bother asking him that question?There are freaking Velociraptors in the Sealords menagerie that's honestly way more interesting than however House Mormont got Longclaw.

 

Ah, Dinosaurs. That little Dungeons and Dragons chestnut.

The more George reveals how fantastical the world is the harder it is for me to take seriously people’s disbelief of the Others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tyrion1991 said:

 

Ah, Dinosaurs. That little Dungeons and Dragons chestnut.

The more George reveals how fantastical the world is the harder it is for me to take seriously people’s disbelief of the Others.

Yeah when Syrio mentioned casually some of the animals the Sealord has I was...hold up...is that does the Sealord have freaking Velociraptors?Then again GoT came out around the same time as Jurassic Park iirc so I guess GRRM was a fan

Edited by A Bastard Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×