To Tweet Or Not To Tweet? That Is The Question!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

17 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Yup. Been doing lots already, though around Canada. Cuba is next, but clearly we're going to have to meet up somewhere, brother. Prague maybe? Let's talk.

hahah, for sure, tweet at me =P Actually have no idea how to holler at you without FB. 

I dont have a twitter account but will read through specific people’s feeds from time to time, mostly comedians and other actors.

i have facebook. I havent updated it really since 2015 but still scroll through as it is a handy way of seeing how people i went to school with are doing.

I have instagram. I dont use it though

I'm a year and a day younger than Zuckerberg.  My best friend/roommate signed me up for Facebook in April 2004.  We were getting high and he kept on asking me personal questions while on my computer (he probably used that thing more than I did cuz he played Starcraft or something like that).  Finally I was like dude, why the fuck you asking all this, and he was like "hold up.....you're now on facebook." 

So, I'm on facebook, but its only functional use for me is to keep in touch with my sister, cousin, and my Mancunian friend when he goes back home over the summer.  Probably look at it once a month.  I do agree with many in this thread that have said Twitter can be beneficial professionally - that's true in my field as well.  I just..worry if I created an account I'd say something stupid/offensive while fucked up.  Generally, I avoid social media, it's not my thing.  I have a certain level of disdain for the whole idea, but I do recognize there are some benefits.

I'm on this board (obviously) and a few other message boards. Most of my friends are on facebook, so I maintain an account for organising social stuff, and for keeping in touch with more distant relatives or friends who've moved away. I don't post or follow anyone though (my first action on making a new fried is to hit unfollow), so my timeline is empty.

Never used Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, or any of the others.

I only use social media to direct message people, or to have conversations with people.  Family isn't linked to social media though some of them have various accounts which are used in traditional ways.  In 2012 my mum was in a car accident the day after I had a conversation where a politician showed himself to be transphobic, this was back in 2012.  It was either a coincidence or if it was an attempt I'm pretty certain it wasn't him though he is Oxbridge, but more likely an 'elite' private school social network attack as I have been very vocal against that fake 'elite' and their infestation of government/corporations/financial institutions from the moment austerity began. 

My latest exchange with the fake 'elite' is concerning the Royal Marines, one of whom claimed to be Special Forces, I said the Royal Marines are not SF; in the conversation I said the SAS and the SBS are SF and the Royal Marines have one company (F Coy) of Royal Marines who are assigned to the Special Forces Support Group (SFSG).

Then along comes a SBS Reserves Officer claiming standard Royal Marines are SF.  I told him he was sucking on the honour of the guys who have died in the SAS, even the SAS selection course has had many deaths, and the operations the SAS are involved in means the death rate far, far outstrips even elite soldiers like the Royal Marines.

I checked the guy who claimed to be a former officer in the SBS Reserves out, and he was.  Claimed he could have advanced to Lieutenant Colonel.  I told him his attitude is why they got rid of him.  Pretty sure the fake 'elite' have many good people in their ranks but as a whole it suffers from the exact same corruption all systems based on inherited positions do. 

71% of judges come from the fake 'elite' private schools for instance, a proportion of those, monopolists/gameriggers, will use the the power to smear and lie about lower economic classes. 

I've never joined Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, but it's not surprising as I'm not a very social person ( as would be evident in that I've been a member of  this site since EZboard days but I mainly lurk and follow topics and still have less than 1,000 posts).  I do use Skype and instant messaging at work , but prefer email or phone calls.    I should join Linkedin as many people in my profession use it for networking, but have yet to get around to it, as I haven't changed jobs in years.  

I did join WhatsApp when members of my family and I, who are scattered across the US and even one in Russia, were planning a trip to Europe, we used that and Skype to get together and plan the trip.   It was much easier than having multiple phones calls back and forth.  We still use it sporadically since.

Interesting responses, some expected, some not. I'm really surprised by the lack of use of LinkedIn. I've been telling myself I really need to update my ancient profile, but at the same time all I ever got were offer to jobs I'd never want to do, and I suspect it's not the best means of finding political work. 

Yes, LinkedIn does seem just to be about keeping in contact with ex colleagues these days as far as I can tell.

When I do log on I see that I am now getting link requests from people at recruitment agencies at a rate of about one a day. Many do not even bother to include a personal message. Others have personal messages that look like they have been generated by a bot. ("Looking at your profile, I was very impressed with your skills in X and Y. I have several roles available in your area that I think you would be interested in."). Most of the rest are for roles that would be obvious non starters ("I am recruiting for a 3 month contract using [a technology I have never worked on] at [somewhere inconvenient a long way from where I live]."). Some are just sad, e.g. one from a agent who has clearly done some research into me and carefully crafted a personal message but equally clearly had a poor understanding of the industry and no jobs available.

All this despite the fact that my LinkedIn CV is basically a list of companies and job titles.

If I am at all typical then it is no wonder that LinkedIn is dying.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

Yes, LinkedIn does seem just to be about keeping in contact with ex colleagues these days as far as I can tell.

When I do log on I see that I am now getting link requests from people at recruitment agencies at a rate of about one a day. Many do not even bother to include a personal message. Others have personal messages that look like they have been generated by a bot. ("Looking at your profile, I was very impressed with your skills in X and Y. I have several roles available in your area that I think you would be interested in."). Most of the rest are for roles that would be obvious non starters ("I am recruiting for a 3 month contract using [a technology I have never worked on] at [somewhere inconvenient a long way from where I live]."). Some are just sad, e.g. one from a agent who has clearly done some research into me and carefully crafted a personal message but equally clearly had a poor understanding of the industry and no jobs available.

All this despite the fact that my LinkedIn CV is basically a list of companies and job titles.

If I am at all typical then it is no wonder that LinkedIn is dying.

Yep, LinkedIn is the same for me. Seems like a rather lazy tool for recruitment agencies. That may be different at higher level jobs or different industries but really not great experiences from me otherwise

I have a Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter account, but I largely don't use them. I'm too antisocial and reserved to post much and I hate bragging or complaining about things, which is what 99% of what Facebook is. I think the last time I checked my Facebook was on my birthday (about 2 months ago) and before that, one every 3-4 months or so.

Twitter can be funny and informative, at least more so than Facebook, but yeah, the further in you go, the thicker the cesspool gets. I follow a couple of comedians and such, but I rarely post anything.

Linkedin I have, but I haven't logged in in years. Just setting up all these profiles and checking in seems more like work with little to no gain. Oh, that guy I went to school with is now a conspiracy peddling asshole. Oh, this guy I met once in my current job now wants to be friends. Oh, one of my relatives is a hardcore pro-Trumpanista. Oh, this person I used to know goes on tropical vacations every 4 months or so and I would struggle to afford doing that like... once a year... maybe.

I understand and even appreciate the good things that these tools offer, but the downsides and drawbacks (the faux socialization aspect, the bragging, whining, and complaining all for likes and 'heartfelt' emojis, the 10 minute political and social justice crusades where everyone can achieve some political or social end without having to meet anyone else or leave their couch, and just the abject misery of everyone having a soapbox and a megaphone to espouse their horrid opinions and thoughts) just seem to outweigh those benefits.

I'm pretty sure I'm just too old and cranky and antisocial for this shit, but I just do not care about any of it and I wish it would go away and get off my damn lawn.

Archived