Appropriate Punishment for Catelyn

Tywin Manderly

3 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Because if Karstark knows that whatever punishment he calls for for Cat is going to be the same one he gets he isn't going to want Cat to be punished very severely. 

By all rights he has no say in Cat's punishment, the poster is just saying it would be a creative way to handle the situation. 

That's what I understood from the post as well, but I don't agree w/ it. I mean, I really, really don't see both as being the same crime and thus deserving the same punishment.  :dunno:

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

That's what I understood from the post as well, but I don't agree w/ it. I mean, I really, really don't see both as being the same crime and thus deserving the same punishment.  :dunno:

Oh no me either. Not at all. I was just explaining what I thought the poster meant. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 11:15 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Because if Karstark knows that whatever punishment he calls for for Cat is going to be the same one he gets he isn't going to want Cat to be punished very severely. 

By all rights he has no say in Cat's punishment, the poster is just saying it would be a creative way to handle the situation.  

Karstark, by that junction, was a borderline lunatic.

If he was given that opportunity to determine his punishment via Cat, Karstark would have quickly beheaded her (or hung her or worse) and thumbed his nose at Robb Stark with a grin.

As if he were daring Robb to torture and execute one of his generals and alienate the thousands of soldiers under him.

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Karstark, by that junction, was a borderline lunatic.

If he was given that opportunity to determine his punishment via Cat, Karstark would have quickly beheaded her (or hung her or worse) and thumbed his nose at Robb Stark with a grin.

As if he were daring Robb to torture and execute one of his generals and alienate the thousands of soldiers under him.

Yeah I don't disagree, I was just trying to clarify what the other poster was saying. 

Confine her under house arrest for the rest of her life. The first thought is Karhold but that's probably too much. Send her to Last Hearth. The Umbers will be respectful of her but she'll be far from home and without her family. Merciful towards his own mother but also just. Executing your own mother would be foolish and pretty ruthless.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:34 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

You have identified one of the important choices for a leader.  Catelyn is guilty of treason.  How Robb can kill Karstark and let mom get off lightly is proof of poor ruling.  This theme is repeated again at the wall when Jon Snow kills Slynt and later lets a worse criminal off the blocks.  The Starks are poor at handling situations when it gets personal.  Robb and Jon stink  as leaders.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:40 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Robb was not a king.  Executing one and letting one get away is not justice.  It was poor leadership.

Catelyn disobeyed her direct feudal superior. It is known.  She is guilty of disobedience, I think we can all agree.  However, actual TREASON requires one to betray their king and country.  Treason goes beyond simple disobedience  

If Robb Stark wasn’t a king, then Catelyn didn’t commit treason, and in fact acted in support of the bastard on the Iron Throne in King’s Landing, in which case she would have been the opposite of a traitor.  

So make up your mind - either Rob is a king and Catelyn committed treason, and deserves a stronger punishment... or he isn’t a king, and Catelyn merely disobeyed her lordly son in support of the actual king.   You don’t get to have it both ways. 

Catelyn wondered if he would dare answer her next question with anything but a lie. "How did my son Bran come to fall?"

"I flung him from a window."

The easy way he said it took her voice away for an instant. If I had a knife, I would kill him now, she thought, until she remembered the girls. Her throat constricted as she said, "You were a knight, sworn to defend the weak and innocent."

What would the punishment for Catelyn be if she would had killed Jaime?

1 hour ago, Tywin Manderly said:

What would the punishment for Catelyn be if she would had killed Jaime?

He was Tywin 1st soldier, general. Freeing him was worse than killing him. Robb couldn't kill her. No one would expect that of him. Would be kinslaying in everyone's eye. But the Silent Sisters. Or exile on Skagos or Bear Island...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

He was Tywin 1st soldier, general. Freeing him was worse than killing him. Robb couldn't kill her. No one would expect that of him. Would be kinslaying in everyone's eye. But the Silent Sisters. Or exile on Skagos or Bear Island...

Or send her to Mole Town to become a tavern wench…..

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 2:19 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

It's been a while but I don't remember anyone aiding her except Brienne. I thought she sent the guards away. 

Very unfortunately there is little information available because Jaime largely slept through his own release.

Archived