A New Husband for Catelyn

Tywin Manderly

6 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

Who would have been a good match for the widowed Lady Catelyn?

It would depend on the circumstances.  If she'd been taken prisoner after the Red Wedding,  I could imagine Tywin Lannister compelling her to marry him.  It would help to secure Lannister control over the Riverlands.  He could point out to her that it would secure the future of both Sansa and Edmure Tully. 

If she were a free agent, then I think someone like Bronze Yohn Royce would be the best choice.  A very powerful lord with lands adjoining the new Kingdom of the North and Riverlands.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

It would depend on the circumstances.  If she'd been taken prisoner after the Red Wedding,  I could imagine Tywin Lannister compelling her to marry him.  It would help to secure Lannister control over the Riverlands.  He could point out to her that it would secure the future of both Sansa and Edmure Tully. 

If she were a free agent, then I think someone like Bronze Yohn Royce would be the best choice.  A very powerful lord with lands adjoining the new Kingdom of the North and Riverlands.

Tywin would never remarry. Not even if it was advantageous to his family. He was a hypocrite to the core, as can be indicated by his use of brothels in secret while he was Hand of the King. 

And he’d never marry Catelyn anyway. Sansa was already in his family by that point, he wouldn’t need Catelyn. He’d probably make her join the silent sisters after the riverlands were pacified.

9 hours ago, SeanF said:

But Cat is not heir to River Run. How would marrying her secure Lannister control over the Riverlands? I don't understand how it would secure Sansa & Edmure's future either :dunno:

9 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

But Cat is not heir to River Run.

As we're talking post-Red Wedding in this instance: Tywin Lannister can, as Hand of the King, simply make Catelyn the Lady of Riverrun and Lady Paramount of the Trident should he wish so. It just requires a single stroke of the pen since Edmure committed treason against the Iron Throne.

25 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

As we're talking post-Red Wedding in this instance: Tywin Lannister can, as Hand of the King, simply make Catelyn the Lady of Riverrun and Lady Paramount of the Trident should he wish so. It just requires a single stroke of the pen since Edmure committed treason against the Iron Throne.

I gotcha. 

2 hours ago, Tywin Manderly said:

Quite.  And in any case, a Lannister/Tully child would be far more acceptable as a the future Lord of the Riverlands than a Lannister/Frey.

Jaime.

Oh, Lysa was not so fearsome as all that." She had been a pretty girl, in truth; dimpled and delicate, with long auburn hair. Timid, though. Prone to tongue-tied silences and fits of giggles, with none of Cersei's fire. Her older sister had seemed more interesting, though Catelyn was promised to some northern boy, the heir of Winterfell . . . but at that age, no girl interested Jaime half so much as Hoster's famous brother, who had won renown fighting the Ninepenny Kings upon the Stepstones. At table he had ignored poor Lysa, whilst pressing Brynden Tully for tales of Maelys the Monstrous and the Ebon Prince. Ser Brynden was younger then than I am now, Jaime reflected, and I was younger than Peck.

Mors Crowfood

No sooner had they been seated than Mors asked for leave to wed Lady Stark. "The Greatjon's the Young Wolf's strong right hand, all know that to be true. Who better to protect the widow than an Umber, and what Umber better than me?"

"Lady Catelyn is still grieving," Maester Luwin said.

"I have a cure for grief under my furs." Mors laughed. Ser Rodrik thanked him courteously and promised to bring the matter before the lady and the king.

:P

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 7:37 AM, TheThreeEyedCow said:

Roose Bolton... as messed-up as it is.

Very true, if timing would have allowed. She is young enough to have children still and is proven fertile. That's exactly what Roose needs. She's also of a greater house, which is a boon for him. Lastly, but most importantly, marrying Catelyn to Roose would have bound him very closely to the success of the Starks and Tullys. His heir would be half-sibling to Kings and Princes. Granted, one wonders if Roose would even consent to such a marriage. I think he would since it seems like a lesser gamble than the Red Wedding itself was. 

Another good option is to have her marry Jon Snow err, Stark, in the event that he becomes Robb's heir. It's the best way in that case, with Catelyn's children all dead, to maintain the Stark/Tully alliance. I wish I could be present to see it though. 

7 hours ago, Sourjapes said:

Very true, if timing would have allowed. She is young enough to have children still and is proven fertile. That's exactly what Roose needs. She's also of a greater house, which is a boon for him. Lastly, but most importantly, marrying Catelyn to Roose would have bound him very closely to the success of the Starks and Tullys. His heir would be half-sibling to Kings and Princes. Granted, one wonders if Roose would even consent to such a marriage. I think he would since it seems like a lesser gamble than the Red Wedding itself was. 

Another good option is to have her marry Jon Snow err, Stark, in the event that he becomes Robb's heir. It's the best way in that case, with Catelyn's children all dead, to maintain the Stark/Tully alliance. I wish I could be present to see it though. 

Good points. 

Archived