A New Husband for Catelyn

Tywin Manderly

Is Catelyn even interested in getting married again?  She went more than a little haywire at the wedding.  Is she going to be right again?  Did you mean to ask "who the Freys will marry her to?"  Different question because Catelyn doesn't get to choose.  What are Lord Walder's goals for this matchup?  The Tullys have snubbed him for years.  He will want to marry her to a useful nobleman but not powerful.  More than a landed knight but not a lord with power.  He doesn't want to elevate her social status.  Walder would consider giving one of his sons land, enough gold to build a small keep, and make the match.  The son becomes a lord in his own right and marries a Tully.  

On 8/15/2019 at 12:33 AM, Tywin Manderly said:

As we're talking post-Red Wedding in this instance: Tywin Lannister can, as Hand of the King, simply make Catelyn the Lady of Riverrun and Lady Paramount of the Trident should he wish so. It just requires a single stroke of the pen since Edmure committed treason against the Iron Throne.

Then we're talking about a husband for Lady Stoneheart, in which case the answer is no one for obvious reasons.

19 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Then we're talking about a husband for Lady Stoneheart, in which case the answer is no one for obvious reasons.

Well if everything went according to plan (cue Corpse Bride musical interlude) Cat was to be kept alive. She would have been a useful marriage piece for tywin in that situation

On 9/12/2019 at 12:34 AM, Sourjapes said:

Another good option is to have her marry Jon Snow err, Stark, in the event that he becomes Robb's heir. It's the best way in that case, with Catelyn's children all dead, to maintain the Stark/Tully alliance. I wish I could be present to see it though. 

A good option? Hahaha...

I pity the man or woman who would dare to make such a proposal. Much less to Catelyn.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:37 AM, TheThreeEyedCow said:

Roose Bolton... as messed-up as it is.

Honestly, as messed up as this sounds, this is the best choice.

Even though Catelyn's life and the lives of any Bolton children she would bear would be endangered by Ramsay, this would have prevented the Red Wedding. Or at least, the Bolton contribution to the Red Wedding.

Of course, this doesn't totally prevent Bolton treason seeing as Ramsay was wreaking havoc in the north as early as the halfway into A Clash of Kings. The timing of Ramsay's criminal activity in the North tells me that Roose Bolton was plotting against Robb (or plotting how to make sure his house comes out on top) as early as A Game of Thrones

I still think that it was a bit weird that Catelyn did not offer her own hand in marriage to one of Walder Frey's sons. A strong Tully match is something Walder has likely wanted/needed for a long time.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:11 AM, Dreadscythe95 said:

Willas Tyrell, xD.

Nice idea but if northern independence was ever to be taken seriously, I think it would've been better for Catelyn to marry either a Northern lord/heir or a lord/heir of the Trident.

22 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Ramsay was wreaking havoc in the north as early as the halfway into A Clash of Kings. The timing of Ramsay's criminal activity in the North tells me that Roose Bolton was plotting against Robb (or plotting how to make sure his house comes out on top) as early as A Game of Thrones

I still think that it was a bit weird that Catelyn did not offer her own hand in marriage to one of Walder Frey's sons. A strong Tully match is something Walder has likely wanted/needed for a long time.

I don't think we'll ever know if Ramsay and Roose were in cahoots. It seems like it would be impractical for them to have been, but who knows?

Regarding Catelyn not offering her hand to a Frey, well at the time she made the alliance she was still married to Ned. 

Archived