Do you like Feast and Dance?

miyuki

I loved Feast. There was not a single chapter I did not enjoy. I know Greyjoy chapters get a bad rep but I really loved Damphair’s chapters. But Cersei, Jaime and Brienne were the best part. I tend to enjoy the King’s Landing plots in each book more than any other plot.

Dance was hard to get into. Whenever I flipped the page to see the next chapter and saw Tyrion’s name, I put the book down for a couple of days lol. But everything going on in the North had me hooked. I didn’t hate Dany’s chapters as much as others did. 

On 8/14/2019 at 8:48 PM, miyuki said:

Going through older threads here in this website, I've noted that many people think that "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance with Dragons" are much less enjoyable, if not outright boring books compared to the earlier books in GRRM's series. Most likely this kind of thread was once made already, but has any re-read or anything else changed your opinion over the years? Or have you always liked them, or always and forever hated them? If you don't like them, is it because of something other than "nothing happens"?

Personally, I've always loved the 4th and 5th book. 

Context.

The books came off the back of ASOS. An excellent novel. They don’t really advance the plot and worse it ends at precisely the moment things are starting to ramp up and come towards a conclusion. Battle of Mereen, Battle of Winterfell, Oldtown and Aegon in the Stormlands. These are huge plot points that George spends two novels building up to and then cuts off. It would be like if you ended  ASOS before that novels finale and resolution. 

Now, if George was pumping these out every odd year like the Wheel of Time, this disjointed and incomplete novel would be fine. Because, IMO, Crows, Dragons and part 1 of Winter is really one book. But he isn’t. The reality is we have had to go a decade on these cliffhangers. One of the biggest myths for example is that he resolved the Mereenese Knot despite the fact that none of the POV actually get to Mereen apart from Q to meet Dany.

Basically George has been writing the same novel for almost 20 years and he still has not finished it.

Archived