Possums: crocheting and knitting and dumpster diving their way into our lives

Larry of the Lawn

A portly and genial possum lives under the floor board of our shed for a couple of years, and temporarily fostered our now deceased cat Kevin.  Kevin jumped off the bumper of a car in front of our house at the tender age of 8 weeks, and then scurried into the backyard when my roommate tried to catch him.  He ran under the floor boards of the shed.  

I arrived home hours later to a roommate despondent and inconsolable regarding the kitten trapped in the Deep of the shed.  We went back there and i opened the hole in the floor enough to get a hand down there, at which point the roommate seemes to rise from her depression and stuck here phone down there and snapped some pictures.  

This was a mid November night in upstate New York, the temperature hovering around 20 F.  We checked the pictures in her phone and saw a black-eyes hoary possum baring it's 40+ teeth, and pressed against it's flank mangy and malnourished, but now warm, kitten.  

Two days later my roommate had lured the kitten onto our porch, he then lived a memorable but brief two years with us.  His name changed from Owl to Kevin at somepoint, and I think of him often.  And of the possum who kept him warm that cold November night.

There were no possums in Canada at all until about 30 years ago. One day there was a news report about possums being found in the Niagara Falls area. The suspicion was they crossed over on the railway bridge, and now they are everywhere. 

A year or so after the story appeared I was having lunch at work, out in suburbia. The cafeteria was on ground level and overlooked a little woodland with a pond. All of a sudden there was a murmur in the lunch crowd as a possum strolled outside our windows on the patio area. I don’t think any of us had ever seen one before. Ugly thing with a hairless tale. Never saw it again.

We also had ducks that would come back every year and raise a family, and a fox that made a den and also came back every year to raise her kits. Then they’d vanish when they got old enough to travel.

51 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ugly thing with a hairless tale. Never saw it again.

I saw my first possum last fall. A baby one somehow fell into our leaf garbage bin. It was absolutely adorable, and every time I looked in it would immediately play dead. Those things get ugly though when they flash their fangs.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I saw my first possum last fall. A baby one somehow fell into our leaf garbage bin. It was absolutely adorable, and every time I looked in it would immediately play dead. Those things get ugly though when they flash their fangs.

Babies are always adorable! Most babies, anyway. :p 

Archived