Why Lord Walder is great for the story

Aline de Gavrillac

1 minute ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Yes! The whole internal dialogue over Renly & that damn peach gets me to giggling every time I read it! 

Pretty sure Stannis's psychological arc has something to do with grinding his teeth into a fine powder

On 8/22/2019 at 3:48 PM, Sigella said:

I don't find anything about Walder Frey charming. I am grateful for his part in this series, though. The Red Wedding was epic (not that I wanted Robb or Greywind murdered) and totally en par with the Nedheading.

I really liked the Merrett epilogue but...

Show spoilers:

Hide contents

Can't wait for the big close up picture we'll get if/when Arya infiltrates the Twins.

Awwww.  Walder is adorbs.

Lord Walder is the 'Other' of the Riverlands. In addition to many, many other direct clues, the Others were originally supposed to kill Cat and attack some Starks, Martin simply shifted the location because the gardener thingy. Remember how the Others are the global/Westerosi crisis that everyone is supposed to fight against in order to survive? Well, the same for Old "snot nose" Walder and his minions. Does he have a snappy, forked-tongue? Yup, and I am fine with that because nobody likes a boring villain. Good villains are a balance smart and witty, yet terrible, and a good author makes you cheer when they are eliminated.

Why is this even a question?

@victornewman Blue Velvet is on Prime right now.  

One of his best lines:

Don't be a good neighbor to her.

I'll send you a love letter straight from my heart, f***er.

You know what a love letter is?

It's a bullet from fuckin' gun, f***er.

You receive a letter from me, you are f**ked forever, f**k.

Understand, f**k?

I'll send you straight to hell, f**k!

On 8/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

While I do find Walder Frey comical at times I disagree with pretty much the whole rest of your post. 

You name Arya, not only a villain, but also on the same level as Ramsay? Arya wasn't written as a villain & by no stretch of the imagination holds a candle to Ramsay. 

Theon is one of the best written characters in the series IMO but also isn't written as a villain. 

Jaime is another very well written character. He isn't amoral, he just doesn't have your morals. It's not the same. 

Out of curiosity what tragedy has been caused by Catelyn or Jon's "fatal character defect"? 

I feel like we read different books honestly. Walder only does bad things when they are done to him but it's cool because he's funny. But Arya, Jaime, & Theon are villains & Jon & Catelyn have character defects?? 

That's okay.  We just see this character differently.  Arya is very disturbing.  Her actions in the spoiler chapters for the next book is disgusting.  So yeah.  She is a villain to me.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of WF. He's my second favourite villain after Euron. I absolutely love to hate him. I think the chapter in AGOT when Cat first meets him is my favourite. He's such an uncompromising and petty, sour old man. And yet, totally hilarious.

The fun ends with the RW for me, though.

My favourite villain of all is Euron Greyjoy. I'd be interested in witnessing a meeting between him and WF. But it probably won't happen. Still... I like it when the villains clash. So I hope we get something similar at some point. A bit like when Viscerys clashes with Khal Drogo in Vaes Dothrak. Only not so one-sided.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived