Dorne and Landed Knights

Angel Eyes

So women in Dorne can inherit if they’re the eldest child, but what happens with landed knights like the Santagars? Ie, Sylva Santagar is heir to Spotswood, but women (as far as I know) can’t become knights under the Faith of the Seven. Who would get the title?

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So women in Dorne can inherit if they’re the eldest child, but what happens with landed knights like the Santagars? Ie, Sylva Santagar is heir to Spotswood, but women (as far as I know) can’t become knights under the Faith of the Seven. Who would get the title?

The probably would become lady of Spotswood, she wouldn't be a knight and her status would be kinda confusing but it would work like any kind of lordship.

I don't think knighthood can be inherited.  The land can be, but even if you inherit the land from your father who was a knight, you don't inherit the knighthood.  You earn that.

Lordships are different, though I'm not terribly clear how they work if there are only female claimants.

Alternatively, I may be basing my answer too much on medieval England, rather than Westerosi, but GRRM was influenced by real life.

12 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

As Dornish law rules in Dorne, Sylva Santagar will upon inheriting Spotswood probably get a Dornish that we not know of yet, like Mistress of Spotswood or Dame of Spotswood.

8 hours ago, oldbus said:

I don't think knighthood can be inherited.  The land can be, but even if you inherit the land from your father who was a knight, you don't inherit the knighthood.  You earn that.

Any knight can create another knight. And Westeros has more than its fair share of unworthy knights.

A father who is a landed knight will naturally arrange for his male heir to be created a knight as a matter of course. Either by knighting his heir himself or finding another knight to do so. 

15 hours ago, Tywin Manderly said:

As Dornish law rules in Dorne, Sylva Santagar will upon inheriting Spotswood probably get a Dornish that we not know of yet, like Mistress of Spotswood or Dame of Spotswood.

It does not have to be Dornish.

After all, while only in Dorne do women inherit ahead of younger brethren, under Andal law women still inherit in absence of brethren. They still need a title for heiresses of landed knights, whether it is "mistress" or "dame". If Alysanne Osgrey had not become a silent sister and had survived Eustace, what would her title have been? Though the terms of Eustace´s surrender (forfeit to Crown in absence of male offspring) seem to disinherit Alysanne.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:31 AM, Angel Eyes said:

As far as the military aspect of the vassal duty goes, it will likely be her husband's responsibility.   Or she'll just pay to outfit a warrior (or more than one depending on her amount of support owed to her liege lord) to protect her estate and serve in her family's place, that was common historically also.   

There's a differnce in Westeros between a man armed as a knight, and one who is actually a knight.  The North has men who might as well be knights, but they don't follow the seven and thus aren't "westeros knights."

Archived