New Matrix movie in the works

GallowKnight

Whoa.

Kinda odd that only Lana Wachowski is involved though, I thought she and Lilly always worked together? Aleksander Hemon and David Mitchell are apparently going to be co-writers, and they're both really solid writers but I don't think either has been involved with movie writing before (Mitchell wrote the book Cloud Atlas, I don't think he had anything to do with the movie adaptation though). Bad writing has been the curse of Wachowski movies for almost everything except the original Matrix, so I really hope this different writing team configuration can find some magic.

Keanu Reeves has done no wrong for a while now though, so I'm definitely interested.

44 minutes ago, Fez said:

Whoa.

Kinda odd that only Lana Wachowski is involved though, I thought she and Lilly always worked together? Aleksander Hemon and David Mitchell are apparently going to be co-writers, and they're both really solid writers but I don't think either has been involved with movie writing before (Mitchell wrote the book Cloud Atlas, I don't think he had anything to do with the movie adaptation though). Bad writing has been the curse of Wachowski movies for almost everything except the original Matrix, so I really hope this different writing team configuration can find some magic.

Keanu Reeves has done no wrong for a while now though, so I'm definitely interested.

Lilly also stepped down from the second season of sense8. And, rather curiously, i just checked her twitter and her handle describes herself as “ex filmmaker.” Has she ‘retired.’ (or whatever term you prefer)

I havent been able to find anything official saying that

Reboot this shit. 

I'm sure Trinity coming back as the Agent(s) Smith character will be interesting for 20-40 minutes, but the original idea is still more interesting than any of the "resistance  vs. uniface empire"  stuff this is sure to try and reheat. 

Gah... I’ve been so confused reading all of this.  I kept reading Lana and Lilly and was confused because in my head all I remember was that the film was by the “Wachowski Brothers.”  I kept thinking it was one of those Mandela Effect things where you think you remember it and then find out it never happened.  I finally had to Google it and discovered they are now trans women.

Im just glad that I’m not crazy for my memory... :lol: 

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think she's a terrible, wooden actress with the charisma of a dead elephant. So, uh, not a fan.

The original movie does such a good job of hiding Moss’ and Reeves’ acting deficiencies, the wooden lack of emotion always looked like a stylistic choice.

But then seeing her in Momento i realised she was simply as wooden as my grandmothers oak cabinet.

Either way I have little to no excitement for a new Matrix movie, I think it is a perfect little moment in history that probably won’t be repeated. The sequels and pretty much everything the Wachowskis have done since has only done more to convince me that the magic won’t be happening twice.

13 hours ago, Fez said:

Whoa.

Mitchell also worked on some episodes of season 2 of Sense8 and was involved in the "film" finale so he has some experience in screenwriting and working with the Wachowski's. Like you say if he can distill some of his novel writing into screenwriting it'll be great. I'd like to see a TV version of "the bone clocks" with him at the helm.

I'm ready for another Matrix film. I think the last one ended with a "at some point we'll need your help again" kind of thing so they can do it. Personally, I still think the best route is to go with what many thought Matrix 3 was going to reveal - that they never leave the Matrix. The escape is just an illusion and the perfect way to keep humans trapped by letting them think they are free. They don't even need to reboot for that they can just semi-retcon 2 and 3 by pointing out they were idiots to think any of it was real.

I still think a Matrix TV show playing with all the great ideas from the animatrix and the comics would be the best way. With shows like Westworld proving popular, the Matrix could take it to the next level with a team of renegades spending time in all the different matrices - it can be in any place, at any time or SFF worlds. There really wouldn't be a limit to what they could do. Besides cost but we're now in the era of "star wars" and "superhero" TV so a big budget Matrix show could work. But maybe they need a new film that's as good as the first one to help launch it?

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Personally, I still think the best route is to go with what many thought Matrix 3 was going to reveal - that they never leave the Matrix. The escape is just an illusion and the perfect way to keep humans trapped by letting them think they are free. They don't even need to reboot for that they can just semi-retcon 2 and 3 by pointing out they were idiots to think any of it was real.

I hope they don't do that. Largely because it was already the underlying point of the sequels, thematically if not literally. The resistance think that they've broken free of the system and are fighting back against the power that enslaved them and continues to enslave their people. Except it turns out that their resistance is a known and planned-for quantity. Zion is only allowed to exist because it allows the machines to purge the Matrix of trouble-makers and put them in a relatively contained environment. And the "One" that is supposed to break the system is actually just one of many, and a key component of perpetuating it.

The sequels were entirely about the "real" world being fake. It's just that it was collection of deliberately fostered false beliefs and narratives, rather than a literal simulation. To me, that's way more interesting than Zion just being another level of simulation a la Inception. Don't get me wrong, the execution of those films was badly flubbed, but I appreciate what they were trying to do.

36 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m seeing they will possibly go with a younger version of Morpheus, instead of Lawrence Fishburne. That would definitely lower my interest. 

His presence is as essential as keanu's if using those characters IMO.

43 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I hope they don't do that. Largely because it was already the underlying point of the sequels, thematically if not literally. The resistance think that they've broken free of the system and are fighting back against the power that enslaved them and continues to enslave their people. Except it turns out that their resistance is a known and planned-for quantity. Zion is only allowed to exist because it allows the machines to purge the Matrix of trouble-makers and put them in a relatively contained environment. And the "One" that is supposed to break the system is actually just one of many, and a key component of perpetuating it.

The sequels were entirely about the "real" world being fake. It's just that it was collection of deliberately fostered false beliefs and narratives, rather than a literal simulation. To me, that's way more interesting than Zion just being another level of simulation a la Inception. Don't get me wrong, the execution of those films was badly flubbed, but I appreciate what they were trying to do.

You make an interesting point and i think it would have worked with far better execution than what we got.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I’m seeing they will possibly go with a younger version of Morpheus, instead of Lawrence Fishburne. That would definitely lower my interest. 

Yeah, that's fucked. Fishburne actually looks 20 years older now than he did in The Matrix, whereas Reeves (when he shaves) and Moss are nearly ageless, but I don't see how that matters at all. The John Wick movies have already proven that Fishburne can still nail the badass, in-charge role.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I will destroy the moon if this is true. 

Mixed feelings about this. Loved the original of course, and liked each sequel less and less. Is this going to be 4th and fuck all movie or can it match any of the original feel?

I know myself and I know I will pay to see the damn thing at the movies even if I hear it's not good.

Archived