New Matrix movie in the works

GallowKnight

15 hours ago, Fez said:

Yeah, that's fucked. Fishburne actually looks 20 years older now than he did in The Matrix, whereas Reeves (when he shaves) and Moss are nearly ageless, but I don't see how that matters at all. The John Wick movies have already proven that Fishburne can still nail the badass, in-charge role.

Fishbourne looked 20 years older in the sequels than he did in the original. At some point he decided that eating healthy wasn't for him and he was just going to embrace the weight. If they recast him it would be a travesty though.

I'm kind of surprised that Keanu would go for this at this point, now that the Wick series has put him back on top so to speak.  I can think of literally no reason why this movie won't suck, even assuming the insanity of no L Fishbourne is false.  Even with LF this movie has a 99% chance of being awful.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm kind of surprised that Keanu would go for this at this point, now that the Wick series has put him back on top so to speak.  I can think of literally no reason why this movie won't suck, even assuming the insanity of no L Fishbourne is false.  Even with LF this movie has a 99% chance of being awful.

But that one percent! In that one percent lays the doorway to transcendence! 

Follow and be freed, lowly ones! For the moment of salvation is imminent! Cast not your doubts and aspersions, the great journey is nigh and all will tremble in the face of righteous Neo!

Movie will probably suck but most movies suck now. Larry Fish, Keanu, maybe a Hugo Weaving... I'll see it.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Follow and be freed, lowly ones! For the moment of salvation is imminent! Cast not your doubts and aspersions, the great journey is nigh and all will tremble in the face of righteous Neo!

Movie will probably suck but most movies suck now. Larry Fish, Keanu, maybe a Hugo Weaving... I'll see it.

To the coffers boys!!!!  A real chopper!!!

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Hope springs eternal, but yeah, sure I'll watch it, I saw Scream 4 after all. 

It'd be pretty hilarious if the two leads that died return while the one lead that survived does not.  Although honestly I don't have much problem with Neo returning.  He is Jesus after all.

But the most important question - will Jada Pinkett be back???

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

It'd be pretty hilarious if the two leads that died return while the one lead that survived does not.  Although honestly I don't have much problem with Neo returning.  He is Jesus after all.

But the most important question - will Jada Pinkett be back???

Honestly, I had completely forgotten that Neo and Trinity both died at the end of the third movie.  I have always had some patience for the second film, there are definitely some great parts, and it poses some interesting questions.  If the third movie had reasonable answers to those questions, then the second movie (and the trilogy as a whole) could still have been really good.  But the third movie was just so terrible, it made the other two films (particularly the second) worse.

IMO that is the threshold for a truly terrible sequel.  A bad sequel is just forgettable and you never watch it again.  A truly terrible one managed to make the movies that came before worse.  Sequels like Hangover 2, Oceans Twelve and Matrix 3 really made the flaws of the previous films more noticeable.

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Honestly, I had completely forgotten that Neo and Trinity both died at the end of the third movie.  I have always had some patience for the second film, there are definitely some great parts, and it poses some interesting questions.  If the third movie had reasonable answers to those questions, then the second movie (and the trilogy as a whole) could still have been really good.  But the third movie was just so terrible, it made the other two films (particularly the second) worse.

IMO that is the threshold for a truly terrible sequel.  A bad sequel is just forgettable and you never watch it again.  A truly terrible one managed to make the movies that came before worse.  Sequels like Hangover 2, Oceans Twelve and Matrix 3 really made the flaws of the previous films more noticeable.

How can you forget that Trinity died? Her death scene felt like it went on forever and is probably what I remember most from Revolutions

1 minute ago, GallowKnight said:

How can you forget that Trinity died? Her death scene felt like it went on forever and is probably what I remember most from Revolutions

I don't remember much from Revelations aside from the fact that all the fights in the movie were interminably long. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't remember much from Revelations aside from the fact that all the fights in the movie were interminably long. 

I remember endless metal squids and ropey multi smith CGI. And keanu reeves sitting looking confused. Oh and the bit where the ship goes above the smog and it's sll sunny suggesting that solar panels on long poles would probably be less hassle than human batteries (apparently not). I don't think I've ever watched it beyond the cinema despite watching the other two multiple times. I completely agree that 2 could have worked if 3 had delivered some payoff.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

You forgot Alien: Covenant

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You forgot Alien: Covenant

Never saw it, Prometheus was bad enough.  The only good thing about that mess was that it was sufficiently disconnected from the main franchise that the terribleness didn't bleed into the good Alien films. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wait they made a Scream 4? What?

It uses The Force Awakens approach to making a sequel.  Introduce a few new characters along with the much older original cast and use them to tell the exact same story as the first movie.  It's...not terrible.

In fact, if the Matrix were to do that with part 4, I wouldn't be too mad.  I could enjoy the hell out of a completely derivative retelling of The Matrix.

I liked parts of Prometheus, but Covenant pretty much took all the parts I didn't like and then the dumbest possible explanation for everything and doubled down, and then violated its own canon so much, it just, ugh, if I start thinking about it too much I'll start screaming and throwing things. Think Highlander 2 but DUMBER.

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It uses The Force Awakens approach to making a sequel.  Introduce a few new characters along with the much older original cast and use them to tell the exact same story as the first movie.  It's...not terrible.

One thing I liked about it though:

It seemed like it was gonna be a passing of the torch / lead in to a new trilogy with a younger cast thing, but then it wasn't at all.  

I loathed Prometheus.  The movie couldn't be taken seriously because it made no fucking sense, and it couldn't be taken lightly because it wasn't any fun. 

And now that I think about it, that was what was great about The Matrix!  It was both heavy enough to be discussed seriously AND it had a sense of fun and style such that the action scenes which could have been cartoonish were still enjoyable. 

52 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I liked parts of Prometheus, but Covenant pretty much took all the parts I didn't like and then the dumbest possible explanation for everything and doubled down, and then violated its own canon so much, it just, ugh, if I start thinking about it too much I'll start screaming and throwing things. Think Highlander 2 but DUMBER.

There was never a sequel to Highlander.  There could be only one after all.  Trying to say there were more would have been just dumb...

Archived