Succession Season 2 - Full Spoilers

Relic

I understand that the show might not be many people's cup of tea but I'm not finding the show hard to watch at all - a show not having "likeable" characters really isn't an issue for me. I'm actually finding these despicable arseholes making each other miserable to be rather enjoyable and the acting and writing is top notch as well. Also think that less "bells and whistles" is sometimes a blessing - big budget cgi, violence and gratuitous sex scenes/nudity are often overused in an attempt to distract the audience from shit writing. 

2 hours ago, Relic said:
4 hours ago, Zorral said:

What? Are you saying that escapism is the only fiction worth consuming?

I saying exactly the opposite.  Succession is presented as fun and entertaining escapism.  "Our favorite guilty pleasure, with characters who have no redeeming features at all," as a professional, i.e. paid, tv critic put in the Guardian.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:07 PM, Zorral said:

I saying exactly the opposite.  Succession is presented as fun and entertaining escapism. 

Hmmm. Well, maybe some might see it as such, I suppose. 

Well, yes they do, even those posting here!  Which is why they're watching!  :laugh:

Succession, even more than Billions, is the real 'next Got.'  It's all about getting and being got.

For me what is interesting about Succession, is that the executive producer is Frank Rich, a constant political pundit, writing on medica nd the political scene for New York Magazine,  as well as formerly a NYT columnist about the connections between media and politics, as well as working as a theater critic.  I hadn't realized until now that he's also produced programs for HBO before.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man Kendall breaking up with that actress for saying awesome too much in front of his dad. and after that rap. Like they have billions of dollars but why hire a famous rapper when you have Kendall in a bow-tie. 

I respect that they didn't feel the need to explicitly spell out that Ewen was the weasel / whistleblower's backer. Tom is so fucked. 

They all deserve the guillotine.  Hope to see them all in a caravan of tumbrels.  But no, Rhea will be the one taking the fall.  Not that she doesn't deserve it, of course.

It never fails to astonish how there isn't even a modicum of joy in the lives of any of these people. No joy, no fun, only constant resentment and jockeying for the nothing that is Logan approval.  Or something like that.  None of them even like anything!  Well, maybe Connor does, for a short attention span -- a wine or something like that. They are all just miserable.

Rhea's gonna have to deal with the fallout, but I don't see how she could take the fall for stuff that happened before she joined the company. Unless she participates in covering it up like Tom did, but it seems too late for that. 

I'm wondering, is it publicly known that Kendall is an addict? He alluded to having some troubles in his birthday message to his dad but I didn't really think anyone knew outside of his family and their inner circle. 

I feel like it's possible for Stewie to piece together what happened the night of Shiv's wedding that made Kendall switch sides. He would have read that the dead kid was on drugs. He knows he cut Kendall off and then something happened that made Kendall change his mind about the bear hug. Plus he's seen how Kendall is basically a broken man now. He wouldn't know for sure but I'd think he'd at least have his suspicions. 

So -- Greg still hadn't made his decision for gramps or uncle ... otoh, there are those, what? three? pages he rescued from the hibachi fire ....  Still, one might think an opportunity to escape Tom ... but gramps is fairly abusive his own self.  Wot da hell.

Nevertheless Greg's a pathetic creep all by himself.  Woo!

12 minutes ago, Triskele said:

One thing that I think shows strong writing is whether it really feels once you get to know a character like "yep, that's something they'd say/do."  Kendall doing that rap and Roman thinking it was terrible were perfect in this regard.

Little bit on the rap here with all lyrics!

It's absolutely something he'd do. I was a little surprised he had the confidence to do it after last weeks episode and his general "shell of a man" thing this whole season. But I guess a decent amount of time has passed. He no longer seems to be with Naomi Pierce and Willa's play is previewing. ("There might be something living in the sand. perhaps thriving in it?" ) Plus cocaine is a helluva drug. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

It's absolutely something he'd do. I was a little surprised he had the confidence to do it after last weeks episode and his general "shell of a man" thing this whole season. But I guess a decent amount of time has passed. He no longer seems to be with Naomi Pierce and Willa's play is previewing. ("There might be something living in the sand. perhaps thriving in it?" ) Plus cocaine is a helluva drug. 

It was fucking.  then he crapped out out of that.

The kidz all performed well for L to the OG last night.  Even Roman, gee whiz, snoozed under the eyes of men with guns and didn't go all piss in his pants or anything.

Zoooooooo . . . . Next Week, final season 2 episode -- Blood Sacrifice to the monsters of Waystar.  Who will it be?

I kept thinking as the ep rolled it was going to be Tom and / or Greg.  But the flash of frame at the end of next week's preview suggested it might be the Old Bastard himself.  That would be a kick in the head, all right.  Then the kids go mano a mano with each other, right?  Gads, Tom was wetting himself; he's even more of a creepy crawlie than Roman.

Honestly I have been hoping Logan's wife would stick a knife in him but she didn't even figure in last night's episode so not, I guess.

It really is amazing, and the one two punch of Succession on sundays and The Deuce on mondays has been great. 

Really looking forward to tom finding out what the underside of a bus looks like. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

It really is amazing, and the one two punch of Succession on sundays and The Deuce on mondays has been great. 

Really looking forward to tom finding out what the underside of a bus looks like. 

Covered in sand mites, gnats, splattered boar, human guts, vomit and shit, judging by what the eps have given us!

Not exactly a surprise.  Mostly, we think, Logan and Kendall were in cahoots on this.  We always knew the only satisfactory blood sacrifice was Logan.  This is how he chose to do it -- to make a public show of being given up by his blood, first, son.

Or not . . . .  Tune in next season, folky wokies and find out! :hat:

Archived