DC Worldcon 2021

Maltaran

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

DisCon is currently running a survey on people's though regarding the convention and Covid and online attending options.  If you have considered attending, take a moment to fill in the survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfFVzhYEAv1FAXs5IrKLz8srAizM0SgomZ19Nc7DrAAwaxvRw/viewform

Honestly I want to attend but the more the virus continues, even if a vaccine becomes available sometime next year, I honestly don't know if I would be comfortable traveling by August let alone being in the crowd situation WorldCon generally comes with.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. DisCon will adding a Best Video Game Award for the Hugo Awards as its discretionary ability for the year.

They don't seem to have entirely thought this through. Aside from the problem of letting people know about this award in November, resulting in a potential mad scramble as people check out 2020 releases they were leaving on the back burner until later on (at least people knew in January to start looking out for possible Hugo-worthy books, novellas, TV shows and movies), there's also the problem of split release schedules (like Death Stranding being a 2019 release on PS4 and 2020 release on PC), remasters (Spider-Man on PS5 in 2020 versus PS4 in 2018, or Horizon Zero Dawn's 2020 PC release and 2021 PS5 release versus the 2017 original) and Early Access.

That latter point is particularly key for what seems to be (based on Twitter discussion alone) a key frontrunner, Hades, which had an EA release in 2018 and was gradually updated with features until it's full release in 2020. Based on a straight reading of the rules, since Hades was complete in EA (you could "finish" it in 2018), it would not be eligible.

The rule for split releases also seems clear: only the original release counts, so indeed you wouldn't be able to nominate Death Stranding in 2020 even if you'd been waiting for the PC release. Remakes do count if they are substantially different to the original, so FFVII Remake is eligible, Spider-Man is not.

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interesting. DisCon will adding a Best Video Game Award for the Hugo Awards as its discretionary ability for the year.

They don't seem to have entirely thought this through.

Agreed. I find myself wondering what mechanism they will use to include nominees in the Hugo Packet.

3 hours ago, DaveAx said:

Agreed. I find myself wondering what mechanism they will use to include nominees in the Hugo Packet.

I don't think they will. If it was a few copies, no problem, but thousands?

The same is true of movies and TV shows though. They're not given out for free.

Assuming they accept full access as the date of release... I'm going to prognosticate the nominees:

Hades

Cyberpunk 2077

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

The Last of Us Part II

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

On 11/24/2020 at 12:10 PM, Ran said:

Assuming they accept full access as the date of release... I'm going to prognosticate the nominees:

Hades

Cyberpunk 2077

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

The Last of Us Part II

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

Looks like the EA release of Hades is making its eligibility doubtful, although public outcry might make them reverse course.

Final Fantasy VII Remake might be another contender. Unfortunately, Cloudpunk seems too low-profile to scrape on, but it deserves a look its sound, atmosphere and story.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Werthead said:

DisCon is holding a public query on moving the convention to December (15th-19th), on the basis that incoming COVID vaccines may make an in-person convention in December far more viable than in August.

It's a reasonable question, especially as we're almost at the point where hotel reservations would open up for an August convention.

I suspect the big issue for many people will be the various holidays celebrated in December. They may choose to spend vacation days and money on those events, rather than on a convention trip.

It's also a little too early for schools to be closing for holiday/winter breaks, so parents with kids will not always be able to bring them along. University students, however, may have the option of attending.

Airfares are often less in winter months, but that may not be true so close to the holiday season.

Personally, I'd rather see a belated in-person event than a "timely" virtual event. But I'm in the position of not having either family or work obligations AND being within easy driving distance from DC (even in bad winter conditions).

On 12/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Werthead said:

DisCon is holding a public query on moving the convention to December (15th-19th), on the basis that incoming COVID vaccines may make an in-person convention in December far more viable than in August.

Thanks for posting the survey link. Been a little busy here. Survey ends tonight at Midnight.

Archived