US Politics: The American Messias, Greenland and attacks on Jews voting Democrats. Or as we call it Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

@karaddin

Sorry to hear about why you have that insight, but something like that feels very plausible to me and is why I typed out a panic attack this past weekend about Biden.  This is not a gaffe thing.  This is decline.  

Yeah. It was literally 3 weeks for my Mum - she went from fine, to showing a few things that my Dad/sisters didn't think anything of initially to leaving the kitchen tap running into the sink with the plug in resulting in flooding the kitchen. That was the point they realised something was wrong and took her to the doctor and due to the speed of the decline he went straight for the MRI. We got another year and a few months with her thanks to surgery but without it she would have been gone within a month or two.

He's likely showing cognitive decline at this point but not the kind of impairment we saw in Mum after the kitchen incident so its not complete panic stations yet but definitely something I'd want to have checked out if I were his family.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ya, her work was done.  She cleared Al Franken out of the way for both the Dems and bedbugs.

So how many conspiracy theories are there that Al Franken was the one true left wing messiah who was going to put an end to the evulz establishment if only he became president?

Cause I can see some reason why there are ones about screwing with Bernie. Or trying to resist the changes Warren wants to make. Or the transfer of power to members of younger generations, whether we're talking Gen X (Booker, Harris, Pressley, Tlaib) or millenial (Mayor Pete, Ilhan Omar, AOC) but a conspiracy theory that everything that happened with Franken was a conspiracy encouraged among Democrats to protect the centrists from Franken has always struck me as a singularly underwhelming conspiracy theory.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Still stinks of evil xenophobia even if it only applies to adopted children.

I wonder how common that specific scenario is.

I have a kind of different situation in my family. My niece and nephew have US citizen parents. My niece and nephew were born outside the USA and have never lived in the USA. Both parents resided in the USA for a time before they got married, one was born in the USA, the other was born outside the USA. Do my niece and nephew qualify for US citizenship (they don't have US passports at the moment, they only have passports if their birth country)? I assume if they do, by the application of the policy you quoted any children they have can't qualify for US citizenship unless my niece and nephew reside for a time in the USA before they have children.

A little less similar with my kids, their mother is a US citizen who moved here in her teens. Do they qualify for US citizenship? They only have NZ citizenship at the moment.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/08/28/heres-whos-affected-new-citizenship-policy-children-troops-serving-overseas.html

The above gives four groups impacted by this change.

• Children who live with their U.S. parents abroad but who did not acquire citizenship at birth, including infants and children adopted overseas.
  • Children born of non-U.S. citizens who are adopted by U.S. citizens.
  • Those whose parents became U.S. citizens after the child's birth.
  • U.S. citizens who do not meet the residence or physical presence rules needed to transmit birthright citizenship, such as a person born overseas with birthright citizenship who never lived in the United States.

55 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Thanks. So my reading of that article is that my kids and my niece and nephew have birthright citizenship. But if they never reside in the USA (or they do but for less than 5 years) then their kids would not get birthright citizenship through them. Interesting thing for them to think about.

1 minute ago, Impmk2 said:

Knee slowly recovering post marathon. Meantime I'm upping my climbing to 3x a week. Helps that a new bouldering gym has opened 10mins walk from work.

Upper body strength has gone to crap after all the running. So be good to get some of that back.

Wong thread?

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Thanks. So my reading of that article is that my kids and my niece and nephew have birthright citizenship. But if they never reside in the USA (or they do but for less than 5 years) then their kids would not get birthright citizenship through them. Interesting thing for them to think about.

But that’s the current situation. What has changed? 

I have a colleague at work in the same situation. She has a US passport because her parents were US citizens, but her children won’t be able to unless she lives in the US for a minimum number of years. 

10 minutes ago, ants said:

But that’s the current situation. What has changed? 

I have a colleague at work in the same situation. She has a US passport because her parents were US citizens, but her children won’t be able to unless she lives in the US for a minimum number of years. 

I'm not sure there's been a change, the article says USCIS has clarified the meaning of residence. Basically they've said (if I'm reading correctly) that overseas based employees of the US govt and military personnel who are serving overseas are not "residing" in the USA even though they are working for the USA. Therefore they are effectively the same as every other US expat. I suppose military personnel in particular might have assumed that because of the nature of their service, and probably living on US military bases, they might be regarded as still residing in the USA.

For plebs like my family-in-law there's no change, it would seem.

A blatant attack on religious liberty :https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.christianpost.com/amp/pa-legislature-can-ban-atheist-invocations-court-rules-only-theistic-prayer-can-appeal-to-god.html

I’m sure most conservative Christians who moan about Government not respecting the  religious liberty being trounced on by government are up in arms over this. 

Kidding. Most are either silent or applauding because government discrimination based religious beliefs is only ever a problem when it concerns beliefs apart of Christianity.

Honestly, I can’t help see instances like these as reeking weakness of faith rather than showcasing strength in it.

Because a person truly comfortable in their own religion should not be obsessed with getting government endorsements for it and outraged at the prospect of someone not of their religion getting the same treatments as them. 

I feel like there's a needle being threaded there between "government speech doesnt have to be free suckas" and "government speech being mandated to appeal to a god feels awful close establishing religion". Religion is going to be the crowbar that completely dismantles the rule of law with the way things are going on these matters.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The next step for this government, and they will start very soon I think, is to start stripping citizenship from citizens and deporting them. 

Oh, the beginnings of that got started awhile ago, at least for naturalized citizens (in non-US speak, immigrants who've become citizens) and Stephen Miller and company definitely have their eyes on doing this to permanent residents. (The idea of deporting people for using public benefits, including to help pay for healthcare, which the law of the ACA required them to do... I bet that nasty xenophobic little creep Miller thought the idea was so clever that he hugged himself when he had it.)

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ya, her work was done.  She cleared Al Franken out of the way for both the Dems and bedbugs.

You like that self-serving fraud? I was in NYC this past weekend and I couldn’t find a single liberal who respected her.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You like that self-serving fraud? I was in NYC this past weekend and I couldn’t find a single liberal who respected her.

Geez, Gillibrand "betrayed" the Clintons because it was politically expedient - something the Clintons have done with, oh, hundreds of people.  I'm not like a huge fan of her's or anything, but your rancor is a little much.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Geez, Gillibrand "betrayed" the Clintons because it was politically expedient - something the Clintons have done with, oh, hundreds of people.  I'm not like a huge fan of her's or anything, but your rancor is a little much.

I care more about what she did to Franken than the Clintons. Face it, she’ll throw anyone under the bus to get ahead and she’ll change any view to gain .0000001% more popularity. She represents what everyday people hate about politics.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I care more about what she did to Franken than the Clintons. Face it, she’ll throw anyone under the bus to get ahead and she’ll change any view to gain .0000001% more popularity. She represents what everyday people hate about politics.

Harsh words.

But I say fuck her for the Franken thing (and begging for couch change during a prez run) so whatevs.

11 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

What about Russian kids born in Trump condos in Miami?

My boyfriend was born in Germany because his father was stationed there and until now no one ever, ever questioned whether those children were US citizens. 

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think those most seriously impacted by this would be immigrant US service members. If they aren't citizens, and their children aren't considered to be residing in the US for their birth, then they're kids are pretty much screwed on the citizenship thing aren't they? Combined with recent deportation of military veterans and military spouses this paints a grim picture in my mind.

Archived