US Politics: The American Messias, Greenland and attacks on Jews voting Democrats. Or as we call it Wednesday.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Regardless of if there were some minor elected officials and ordinary people who may have been calling for his resignation, Gillibrand was the first and most prominent elected official, not to mention a colleague of Franken's, to do so.

Gillibrand was the first, but Schumer and Durbin came out for Franken's resignation within days - and they share quite a bit more influence than the junior Senator of New York.  You guys are acting like she led the fight when there wasn't really a fight.  We were all here.  Basically everyone was calling for Franken's resignation, or at least acknowledging that that was the most politically viable solution, which is where I was at.  I mean, I smoke a decent amount of weed, but WTF?

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Gillibrand was the first, but Schumer and Durbin came out for Franken's resignation within days - and they share quite a bit more influence than the junior Senator of New York.  You guys are acting like she led the fight when there wasn't really a fight.  We were all here.  Basically everyone was calling for Franken's resignation, or at least acknowledging that that was the most politically viable solution, which is where I was at.  I mean, I smoke a decent amount of weed, but WTF?

It was expected to be a significant cultural moment of mass recognition and correction against insidious elements of our society. It was not. Ergo, Gillibrand is guilty of not only prompting the downfall of a powerful Democrat ally but doing so for no result. She didn't even personally benefit.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, the focus on Gillibrand is what's weird.  I agree with a lot of the article TGU linked, I like Al Franken, and he deserved to have a hearing - but he resigned, and Gillibrand and anyone else have the right to call for his resignation.  No one's dragging the other 36 senators that called for his resignation for this.  

And the implication that Gillibrand was, in 2017, looking to takedown primary challengers just seems.... conspiratorial?  

I have no issue with anyone being pissed that Franken is gone - but it's not Gillibrand's fault and had she said nothing, he likely would have resigned anyway.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's a question of casting the first stone. Yes, the crowd that followed included quite a few people who are significantly more prominent, but it's not obvious that they would have acted had she not gone first.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Gillibrand badly miscalculated how her actions would be perceived, and it came back and bit her on the ass during her run for the nomination.

I don't think she miscalculated: without that incident, she is unlikely to have gotten this far (it's the thing she's most famous for). Her problem is that nothing else came up which would allow her to make a second impression.

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It was expected to be a significant cultural moment of mass recognition and correction against insidious elements of our society. It was not. Ergo, Gillibrand is guilty of not only prompting the downfall of a powerful Democrat ally but doing so for no result. She didn't even personally benefit.

This is one of those times I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.  But, uh, no.  There were no expectations at that time other than most of the left calling for Franken's head.

3 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I have no issue with anyone being pissed that Franken is gone - but it's not Gillibrand's fault and had she said nothing, he likely would have resigned anyway.

Well, I will agree that she was the first to come out for his resignation because of her interest in running for president.  But I'm not gonna fault her for that.  She was trying to carve out a niche for the primary.  It failed.  Such is life.

3 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Yes, the crowd that followed included quite a few people who are significantly more prominent, but it's not obvious that they would have acted had she not gone first.

Yeah that's a bunch of horseshit.  Gillibrand didn't "lead the charge" in any way, it was a tsunami at the time.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is one of those times I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.  But, uh, no.  There were no expectations at that time other than most of the left calling for Franken's head.

This is one of those times when my quixotic nature affords me immutable advantages in discourse.

Gillibrand led the charge against Franklin at a time when the nation was undeniably seized by a short term social media campaign designed to simulate empowerment and justice for women and men made to feel sexually advanced upon or assaulted in the past. She got caught up in the excitement. For some unknowable reason she thought she could run as a woman for women and that would take her places...

And I will ridicule her idiocy in these regards unmercifully, thank you. I'm just a drunk who likes Chinese food, but at least I've never begged for couch change on the internet before. 

17 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Schumer's the one people should be angry with if they feel like Franken got the shaft.  Also, remember the context of what was going on at the time.  If this came out six months earlier or later probably would have been handled differently.  

Agree with this 100%.  However, this voter has a lot of other, larger, and even related issues with Schumer.  He needs to get the eff out of the way.  As commented more than once above, as with Schumer, NY voters have issues with KG beyond Franklin and before Franklin, particularly when she was in Albany.

Franken!    I remember feeling sorry for him for a minute.

Gillibrand!   Maybe she'll do something in the future.   Maryanne Williamson has that urban sounding campaign gingle.   Gillibrand didn't brand, ironically.   Whatever she did in Albany, it must have been non-sex, because she has no listing on iafd.com

1 minute ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Franken!    I remember feeling sorry for him for a minute.

Gillibrand!   Maybe she'll do something in the future.   Maryanne Williamson has that urban sounding campaign gingle.   Gillibrand didn't brand, ironically.   Whatever she did in Albany, it must have been non-sex, because she has no listing on iafd.com

Someone translate this into English.

22 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Schumer's the one people should be angry with if they feel like Franken got the shaft.  Also, remember the context of what was going on at the time.  If this came out six months earlier or later probably would have been handled differently.  

Absolutely I'm pissed about Schumer over this. He's the one who issued the ultimatum to Franken. But the conversation is about how or if Gillibrand's actions were what sunk her campaign, which is something that even some of her campaign staff concede.

As for the context at the time, I thought the context was about powerful men getting away with sexual assault and rape because of their power. Franken on the other hand called for an actual investigation into himself. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I recognised that in the current climate Franken would probably have to end up resigning. But I personally did not think it was a resignation-level offence. As somewhat of a parallel I also recognised that in the moment Disney didn't have much choice but to sack James Gunn from GOTG3, but I think they were wrong to do it. Fortunately it's easier to be rehired as a Hollywood film director than it is to return to the senate after you've had to resign due to a scandal.

31 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Fortunately it's easier to be rehired as a Hollywood film director than it is to return to the senate after you've had to resign due to a scandal.

Franken could still well have a political future.  He's from a state that elected Jesse Ventura and the likes of @Tywin et al. roams about.  It's easier to come back as a Hollywood director of course, but Franken could come back.  Especially if he stopped whining about it.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I kinda think of her as the person who started the slow clap, but bad.

Sure but someone was gonna start the slow clap.  Which seems like an innuendo when not meant to be.

4 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Absolutely I'm pissed about Schumer over this. He's the one who issued the ultimatum to Franken. But the conversation is about how or if Gillibrand's actions were what sunk her campaign, which is something that even some of her campaign staff concede.

As for the context at the time, I thought the context was about powerful men getting away with sexual assault and rape because of their power. Franken on the other hand called for an actual investigation into himself. 

hmm yes, if there is anything the metoo movement highlighted it was the fact wealthy and powerful men are usually held accountable for their actions and can’t rely on connections to gloss over or minimize their predatory behaviors 

On 8/28/2019 at 11:25 PM, karaddin said:

I feel like there's a needle being threaded there between "government speech doesnt have to be free suckas" and "government speech being mandated to appeal to a god feels awful close establishing religion". Religion is going to be the crowbar that completely dismantles the rule of law with the way things are going on these matters.

Meh. Probably. Too many people especially in the judicatory as of now seem to genuinely think Christianity literally is the only religion government has to acknowledge. 

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Franken could still well have a political future.  He's from a state that elected Jesse Ventura and the likes of @Tywin et al. roams about.  It's easier to come back as a Hollywood director of course, but Franken could come back.  Especially if he stopped whining about it.

Our governor can beat up your governor!

Sure but someone was gonna start the slow clap.  Which seems like an innuendo when not meant to be.

She split the caucus and forced the issue. Once someone came out in support of his resignation, people had to take a side, and the easier side was to call for his resignation. Anyone could have done it, and in turn many would hate that person. Gillibrand did it, in large part to help her career, and that’s why there’s been a harsh backlash against her.

Archived