US Politics: The American Messias, Greenland and attacks on Jews voting Democrats. Or as we call it Wednesday.

Hitler, nazis and how they copied the US ante-bellum slavery institution and the writing by those people that came out of that as secession and war became more and more inevitable, racist / apartheid etc. approach to life and legislation is very well known and documented, including right within Hitler's own writings, and his lauding of Madison Grant's, The Passing of the Great Race, as the playbook for dealing with the 'jewish problem'.

Read, for just one history of this, the very recent book, Gods of the Upper Air:

https://anthropology.columbia.edu/news/gods-upper-air

IOW, as many have historically reported, our racist, slavery proclivities, as a powerful nation, gave Hitler not only his playbook, but permission. And FDR couldn't do anything about it for a very long time, with the Southern block in the senate and house.

I see from posts on Facebook that Trump has an altered map of Hurricane Dorian’s projected path showing the hurricane crossing Florida and into Alabama to prove his nonsense comments were right. At no time did I ever see a map that even remotely looked like it. Every map showed Dorian going up the coast.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see from posts on Facebook that Trump has an altered map of Hurricane Dorian’s projected path showing the hurricane crossing Florida and into Alabama to prove his nonsense comments were right. At no time did I ever see a map that even remotely looked like it. Every map showed Dorian going up the coast.

Have you seen a photo of it? Because it was the same map you described in your last sentence, but with a poorly drawn extension of the path done with what looks like a sharpie. When I first read the story I though I’d accidentally stumbled onto the Onion. He’s a pathetic idiot. 

A map blatantly altered with black sharpie lines, while the original lines showing the course of the hurricane are white. Also being obviously the wrong size, showing the potential course of the storm suddenly narrowing in the area with the black lines. Just in case the lie wasn’t already obvious enough.

By the way, 20 minutes after Trump first mentioned Alabama, the National Weather Service specifically said he was wrong to prevent panic. Also, falsifying a map and info from NWS is a crime, so add that to the list.

WaPo link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/09/04/president-trump-shows-doctored-hurricane-chart-was-it-cover-up-alabama-twitter-flub/

35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Hitler, nazis and how they copied the US ante-bellum slavery institution and the writing by those people that came out of that as secession and war became more and more inevitable, racist / apartheid etc. approach to life and legislation is very well known and documented, including right within Hitler's own writings, and his lauding of Madison Grant's, The Passing of the Great Race, as the playbook for dealing with the 'jewish problem'.

Read, for just one history of this, the very recent book, Gods of the Upper Air:

https://anthropology.columbia.edu/news/gods-upper-air

IOW, as many have historically reported, our racist, slavery proclivities, as a powerful nation, gave Hitler not only his playbook, but permission. And FDR couldn't do anything about it for a very long time, with the Southern block in the senate and house.

eugenics was indeed an american idea.   The science of improving a human population by controlled breeding to increase the occurrence of desirable heritable characteristics. Developed largely by Francis Galton as a method of improving the human race, it fell into disfavor only after the perversion of its doctrines by the Nazis.

Slavery has been with humanity since the being of written language. In one form or another slavery is real. And it still happens today.

Does not change that discussion is valuable. Yeah I picked the quote off the internet. without validation.

The southern block is important to kick trump to the curb.

Trump Raids Elementary Schools to Pay for Wall; Mexico Off Hook
The Department of Defense has listed the projects it is putting on hold as Trump transfers money from there to fund his much-promised border wall.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/defense-department-reveals-military-projects-that-will-lose-funding-to-pay-for-border-wall?ref=home

During the 2016 election, Donald Trump repeatedly pledged that, as president, he would get Mexico to pay for the construction of his much-promised wall along the U.S. southern border. 

On Tuesday, his administration revealed that it would be paying for the wall instead by diverting funds meant for the construction of elementary schools, hazardous waste warehouse facilities, and fire stations, among other Department of Defense initiatives.

The revelation came in the form of a list of projects that DOD sent to Capitol Hill that it says it will now be putting on hold as the president transfers funds from that department to wall construction. All told, DOD pinpointed more than $1 billion in mainland priorities that it was now shelving, in addition to $1.8 billion in foreign-based projects, and nearly $700 million in projects based in Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands—all U.S. territories. 

Among the notable items now on the backburner include $62 million for a middle school at Ft. Campbell in Kentucky, $13 million for a “child development center” at Joint Base Andrews near Washington, more than $40 million to replace a hazardous materials warehouse in Virginia, nearly $11 million for a fire station replacement in Beaufort, South Carolina; nearly $95 million for an elementary school at Camp Mctureous in Japan; and nearly $80 million for an elementary school replacement project in Spangdahlem Air Base in Germany. 

10 hours ago, Ormond said:

Are you sure this ruling applies to U.S. Congressional districts? The article you linked to only seems to be talking about districts for the State Legislature to me. 

You're right, and thanks for pointing that out. In my defense, I was reading the article and typing my post while halfway participating in a conference call. :ph34r:

So, I accidentally conflated a Democratic advantage in the new state congressional districts for the 2020 election with a Democratic advantage in the federal districts that will be redrawn during reapportionment by the state legislature in 2021.

But, as @Maithanet already mentioned, the new 2020 maps will give the state Democratic party a very good shot of winning back at least one legislative chamber, which means they'll be able to make sure that the federal congressional districts will be redrawn fairly in 2021.

Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, since the state court ruled that partisan gerrymandering was unconstitutional under the state constitution, that ruling would apply to all federal reapportionments going forward. Or will until Republicans throw everything they have at passing a constitutional amendment that repeals the clauses the court cited to support its ruling, at least.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

eugenics was indeed an american idea.   The science of improving a human population by controlled breeding to increase the occurrence of desirable heritable characteristics. Developed largely by Francis Galton as a method of improving the human race, it fell into disfavor only after the perversion of its doctrines by the Nazis.

Eugenics was always disgusting, including in an American context. It involved force and deception in sterilizations. It was extremely racist, classist and ableist. It led to one of the worst Supreme Court decisions of all time (certainly top 5), Buck v. Bell (1927) which has never been overturned and has the disgusting sentiment "three generations of imbeciles are enough" about Carrie Buck, her mother and daughter and Carrie Buck herself likely had a normal level of intelligence. Frankly defending this is either a sign of ignorance or abhorrent morals.

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

And there was a lot of "Nordic" talk, that is to say, there was a "right" race to breed up if you will and others to breed out, and those that needed to be sterilized were "defectives."  

And many states kept laws allowing these sterilizations until very recently.  I feel like there some, maybe Indiana, that either still haven't gotten the laws off the book or only did this century.  

The Nazis were inspired a lot by the US, by our eugenics policies, by Jim Crow laws, by all the slavery and genocide and yes of course all that "Nordic" nonsense.

1 hour ago, dornishpen said:

Eugenics was always disgusting, including in an American context. It involved force and deception in sterilizations. It was extremely racist, classist and ableist. It led to one of the worst Supreme Court decisions of all time (certainly top 5), Buck v. Bell (1927) which has never been overturned and has the disgusting sentiment "three generations of imbeciles are enough" about Carrie Buck, her mother and daughter and Carrie Buck herself likely had a normal level of intelligence. Frankly defending this is either a sign of ignorance or abhorrent morals.

Lets not forget that it went on long after the end of the Nazis and WWII as well. People in the Carolinas and a few other states were being sterilized without their knowledge as late as the 70s. These people only found out about it when they went to have kids and tried to figure why it wasn't working,

and found out doctors had sterilized them all as kids because they had a mentally challenged cousin, were an unwed mother, or the state decided it didn't want any more hispanics running around.

No, I'm not making any of that up.

Eugenics in inherently a horror show. Anybody who wants to defend can go fuck themselves.

This is at least a major shot across the bow, if not the start of a major shit storm: San Francisco designates the NRA a domestic terrorist organization. As much as the NRA organization is a cult made up of a bunch of fascist wannabes, (remember Dana Loesch and "the clenched fist of truth"?) San Fran might be reaching a little with this one. And I'm sure there's going to be massive blowback from the right because of it. Still, I think they need a nod of respect for being willing to call the NRA out and give them a kick that they're terribly overdue for.

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a resolution Tuesday declaring the National Rifle Association a “domestic terrorist organization” and urging the city to examine its financial relationships with companies that do business with the group.

The sharply worded declaration noted recent acts of gun violence, including the July shooting that killed three people, all younger than 26, at a food festival in Gilroy, Calif., south of San Francisco.

“The National Rifle Association musters its considerable wealth and organizational strength to promote gun ownership and incite gun owners to acts of violence,” it read. “The National Rifle Association spreads propaganda that misinforms and aims to deceive the public about the dangers of gun violence, and … the leadership of National Rifle Association promotes extremist positions, in defiance of the views of a majority of its membership and the public, and undermine the general welfare.”

The resolution, adopted unanimously by the board’s 11 supervisors, notes many of the statistics that make the United States stand out in terms of gun violence, stating that the country’s gun homicide rate is “25 times higher than any other high-income country in the world” and that 36,000 people in the United States die in gun-related incidents every year, an average of 100 per day.

It also said the city would assess its financial and contractual relationships with vendors that do business with the NRA.

“The City and County of San Francisco should take every reasonable step to limit those entities who do business with the City and County of San Francisco from doing business with this domestic terrorist organization,” it noted.

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Lets not forget that it went on long after the end of the Nazis and WWII as well. People in the Carolinas and a few other states were being sterilized without their knowledge as late as the 70s. These people only found out about it when they went to have kids and tried to figure why it wasn't working,

and found out doctors had sterilized them all as kids because they had a mentally challenged cousin, were an unwed mother, or the state decided it didn't want any more hispanics running around.

There have been cases of prisons sterilising women without their consent in the last decade or so - https://www.nbcnews.com/health/womens-health/california-bans-sterilization-female-inmates-without-consent-n212256

14 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Easy way to shut down political discussion is bring nazi diatribe in.

Do you actually think that what happened in europe during wwi and ww2 is happening in the usa?

Yes.

Shall I look at the southern block as of 1850 -- maryland, virginia, north & south carolina, tennessee, arkansas, georgia, alabama, mississippi, louisiana, flordia, texas and oklahoma (which was not a state but a territory).

Rather large block.

Rather large area of rising white nationalism and violence that we should be concerned about.

If a person wants to bitch and moan do the research rather than rely on social media.

Hate groups in U.S. operating at record highs. (but maybe like Climate Change, it's all a hoax??)

Yale professor says modern U.S. politics mirrors Hitler's rise to power. (Historical analysis, a short book--a pamphlet really)

15 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Do you actually think that what happened in europe during wwi and ww2 is happening in the usa?

36 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Yes.

One of my favorite Twain quotes is "History doesn't repeat but it sure does rhyme."

I don't think Trump is Hitler but sure do think he's Mussolini. Thankfully, there's currently no Hitler equivalent in the position of power and influence as the original was for Trumpolini to follow on the heels of, but Putin is a fair stand in for Stalin and I guess that's the next best thing. :stillsick:

15 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Define the southern block. Where and when does the mason dixon line begin and how many states does it define.

Er, is this a serious statement?

Dude, have you never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?  

No.....

Shall I look at the southern block as of 1850 -- maryland, virginia, north & south carolina, tennessee, arkansas, georgia, alabama, mississippi, louisiana, flordia, texas and oklahoma (which was not a state but a territory).

I think Maryland and Virginia would object to that grouping.    

Rather large block.

Bloc*    

Now break down the other blocks including the expansion into north amearica land in 1850.

I really don’t have the time to document the Northern expansion of the Polynesian-American BDSM voting bloc, let alone all the other groups that could entail. You’re asking for a lot here.

11 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

One of my favorite Twain quotes is "History doesn't repeat but it sure does rhyme."

I don't think Trump is Hitler but sure do think he's Mussolini. Thankfully, there's currently no Hitler equivalent in the position of power and influence as the original was for Trumpolini to follow on the heels of, but Putin is a fair stand in for Stalin and I guess that's the next best thing. :stillsick:

Bolsonaro.

35 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Bolsonaro.

At best he’s environmental Hitler. Really only the U.S. President and the Emperor of China could be the next Hitler, but neither will be. Thankfully the Germans gave up on conquering Europe militarily and turned to economics instead to finish off their ambitious conquest. That said, one must never take their eyes off of the Soviets:

Archived