US Politics: The American Messias, Greenland and attacks on Jews voting Democrats. Or as we call it Wednesday.

I was just over in the UK thread ranting about stupid rumors, and now I have to rant in this thread. My deepest suspicion, though, is this is more than a rumor, that there’s a serious foundation to the story.

There are practically riots going on in front of the Canadian embassy in Lebanon, because a rumor is being circulated that as part of Trump’s magical son-in-law’s Middle East peace plan, Canada will take 100,000 Palestinian refugees. Yup. You guys are going to bar the doors to refugees, but what the fuck, dump them in Canada.

This is such a stupid, crazy idea I can totally see it coming from the Trump camp.

The Secretary of State made a visit to Canada recently and no real announcements came out of the visit. A lot of us were suspicious - something had to be going on behind closed doors. I can just see the usual Trump diplomacy in action: do this Canada, or we will destroy you.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was just over in the UK thread ranting about stupid rumors, and now I have to rant in this thread. My deepest suspicion, though, is this is more than a rumor, that there’s a serious foundation to the story.

There are practically riots going on in front of the Canadian embassy in Lebanon, because a rumor is being circulated that as part of Trump’s magical son-in-law’s Middle East peace plan, Canada will take 100,000 Palestinian refugees. Yup. You guys are going to bar the doors to refugees, but what the fuck, dump them in Canada.

This is such a stupid, crazy idea I can totally see it coming from the Trump camp.

The Secretary of State made a visit to Canada recently and no real announcements came out of the visit. A lot of us were suspicious - something had to be going on behind closed doors. I can just see the usual Trump diplomacy in action: do this Canada, or we will destroy you.

MUHAHAHAHA!!! That was the plan the whole time, BIRD! Now if you'll be so kind as to step aside. You've got a lot of water we need to loot. 

Petty post time. Yesterday Jerry West received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. For those who don't know, West is a legendary basketball player and front office executive, and his likeness is still the leagues logo to this day (which is total BS, but that's a different subject for a different thread). West's playing height was 6'2, so logic has it that he's shrunk a bit since he's in his earlier 80's. And yet somehow he seemed to tower over the "6'3" president. Makes one wonder if he's even  six feet tall at this point...

/pettiness over

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I thought Canada was going to pay for the Wall. Scott Walker's Wall that is.

Advocates of gun control (or gun safety, if you prefer) have been attempting for years to do an end-run by persuading chain stores and restaurants—which can be more responsive to national, general-public opinion than legislators in gerrymandered states—to ban open carry, with some success.

None of their efforts, though, have been as instantly effective as Andreychenko’s stunt in making the point that wearing military protective gear and carrying a semi-automatic weapon should perhaps not be considered an acceptable way to behave, during peacetime, around people who are shopping for paper towels. Inadvertently, the Missouri man—who, according to his wife, kept his assault rifle and tactical vest in his car at all times—became a physical reductio ad absurdum of the idea that constantly being in the presence of loaded, three-foot-long weapons should make the average person feel more safe than they otherwise would. Walmart’s CEO even referenced Andreychenko indirectly in his statement announcing the policy. (Andreychenko, for his part, recently said in an interview with local station KY3 that the “timing” of his Walmart experiment was “off.” Well, that depends on your perspective, my man.)

In an era of mass shootings, not knowing whether the armed individual next to you is a “law-abiding citizen” or an internet-addled murderer is its own kind of trauma. (And indeed, as the Trace has noted, at least two public shootings in open-carry states have been committed by individuals who’d been brought to the attention of police before they started firing but hadn’t been arrested because, until they started shooting, they hadn’t been doing anything illegal.) The Resurgent, a conservative site that revolves around the work of gun-happy right-wing pundit Erick Erickson, wrote this week that “If the pro-gun community doesn’t take some action to rein in people like Dmitriy Andreychenko, the right to carry a gun could be easily lost.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/walmart-open-carry-ban-dmitriy-andreychenko.html

The Guy Who Open-Carried an Assault Rifle Into Walmart After El Paso Is America’s Best Gun Control Activist

11 hours ago, sologdin said:

It's like the elite are begging for a violent revolution.

this question has been a primary concern for marxist literature for over a century. the summarized version is that a bourgeois confidence in pacific proletarians is warranted.

Maybe I'm becoming too much like Marx himself thinking the revolution is just around the corner...

in hegelian terms, it is only as far away as the subject of history coming to self-consciousness as klasse fur sich, as the relations of production have created it as klasse an sich already and have furthermore become fetters on the further development of the forces of production, or so--we see it in the macroeconomic indicators, the ruin of resources in belligerence, the onset of fascism--all signifiers of abiding crisis; this is accordingly the time of social revolution.  in abstract world historical terms, it's a feather on the scale to tip the balance--but from the perspective of our lived lives, one might be understandably despairing.  but i certainly sympathize with the optimism, simon.

Again, I wrote lots of stories about companies laying off 2,000, 5,000, 10,000 people and the company ... Yes, some companies are really losing money and really have to cut costs, but sometimes they went overboard to try to impress Wall Street because Wall Street’s really impressed when you chop your head count.

Right.

I think there was too much focus on the shareholders and not enough on the workers and on the communities. With the announcement two days ago about, “We’re not going to ...” The Business Roundtable, a group of CEOs from the 200 largest companies saying, “You know folks, after all this soaring income inequality, after all these layoffs, after decades of wage stagnation, you know folks, maybe we focused too much on profit maximization.”

It’s nice that they’re saying that. It’s not clear to me that they’re going to do much about it. It might just be lip service in public relations. Let’s hope they mean it. I’ve tweeted out that if they really, really mean that they shouldn’t focus so much on shareholders, they should ask President Trump to repeal the $1 trillion tax cut for corporations.

Right.

Let’s use that money to stimulate the economy to avoid recession or to deal with the homeless crisis on the West Coast and in New York.

Talk about that, because ... I call it the “fuck you, Milton Friedman” moment, but I don’t think it is. I don’t think it is in any way. I was interested in why they’re doing that now. To me, I mean, my partner who does Pivot with me, Scott Galloway, thinks it’s because they’re scared of the pitchforks, that this income inequality issue has become so severe that they are worried. The rich are worried about other repercussions.

I think it’s part of the pitchforks. I think a lot of businessmen, maybe while they’ll support Donald Trump publicly, deep down they really don’t love him and they think he doesn’t respect business and he doesn’t respect the rule of law and he doesn’t respect our wonderful norms of democracy and free speech.

Well, he is the king of Israel, so ...

They’re really uncomfortable with him. They realize that there’s this big backlash kind of against corporations. When Trump ran and won in the middle west, he really had a very pro-worker message. Then there are things like the banks causing the great recession, the financial crisis of 2009, Purdue Pharma and that total disaster in opiates, and I forget the name where he like raised the price of certain pharmaceuticals like 15, 20, 25...

Oh, that guy, Martin whatever his name is, yeah.

Plus, we see the stock market reaching records month after month, year after year, generally. Corporate profits will generally be near profits, but near records, but after inflation, wages have really gone almost nowhere for 30 or 40 years. It’s good that Jamie Dimon and the Business Roundtable realized ...

This is the CEO of JPMorgan.

Yeah, sorry, the CEO of JPMorgan Chase and the head of the Business Roundtable realized we have an image problem here and we have a substantive problem here. I think this is an important first step to announce that we have a problem. Now we have to see what they will do about it.

Workers need to be part of the conversation about UBI, says “Beaten Down, Worked Up” author Steve Greenhouse
Proposals for a universal basic income, such as Andrew Yang’s “Freedom Dividend,” may have dire consequences for blue-collar workers who just want a job, Greenhouse says.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/9/6/20853054/steve-greenhouse-ubi-artificial-intelligence-andrew-yang-labor-kara-swisher-recode-decode-podcast

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Petty post time. Yesterday Jerry West received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. For those who don't know, West is a legendary basketball player and front office executive, and his likeness is still the leagues logo to this day (which is total BS, but that's a different subject for a different thread). West's playing height was 6'2, so logic has it that he's shrunk a bit since he's in his earlier 80's. And yet somehow he seemed to tower over the "6'3" president. Makes one wonder if he's even  six feet tall at this point...

/pettiness over

One sure sign of encroaching senility is forgetting to change the lifts from one pair of shoes to another. 

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

/pettiness over

Given that nicknames are apparently now a thing in American politics, we should add "Tiny Trump" to our lexicon, alongside "Moscow Mitch".

20 hours ago, sologdin said:

in hegelian terms, it is only as far away as the subject of history coming to self-consciousness as klasse fur sich, as the relations of production have created it as klasse an sich already and have furthermore become fetters on the further development of the forces of production, or so--we see it in the macroeconomic indicators, the ruin of resources in belligerence, the onset of fascism--all signifiers of abiding crisis; this is accordingly the time of social revolution.  in abstract world historical terms, it's a feather on the scale to tip the balance--but from the perspective of our lived lives, one might be understandably despairing.  but i certainly sympathize with the optimism, simon.

I sympathize as well, but I fear that @Altherion may be right in having pointed out that the problem with marxist prophesies is that everyone knows about them, including the people in whose interest it is to prevent their fulfilling.

right.  there's some counterperformativity arising out of the predictions--though the basic theories of class struggle and ideology and other facets of capitalism are descriptive rather than prescriptive.  the more recent revisions and updates and developments are written in an abstruse language that descends from the clouds so as to prevent impatient simpleton cappies from comprehending.

According to the President of the United States, the Taliban were scheduled to meet with him at Camp David this week to discuss negotiations on Afghanistan. But Trump cancelled it because of a Taliban attack that killed among other an American soldier. . This week...the week of 9/11. 

There is not bottom for this administration and there is ALWAYS a tweet.

Top trio far ahead in 2020 poll

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/08/2020-democrats-biden-warren-sanders-1484643

The three top candidates in the Democratic field are the only contenders polling in double-digits, according to a Washington Post-ABC poll released Sunday.

Former Vice President Joe Biden at 29 percent, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at 19 percent and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 18 percent are the top contenders by far in the Post-ABC poll — attracting the support of approximately two-thirds of those registered Democratic voters polled.

California Sen. Kamala Harris sits in fourth place with 7 percent, followed by South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg at 4 percent.

Only four others drew more than 1 percent support.

Archived